Slipping farther into depression

Options
Every time I get motivated to exercise I get depressed because I feel like it won't do any good, that im "too far gone" . It's sooo frustrating. Feel so depressed all the time, having financial trouble these past few months doesn't help. Wish I could find a way to make myself think more positive...

Replies

• claudiakendall98
    claudiakendall98 Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    Exercise will make you fell better ,you can never be too far gone .I see a cute baby as your picture ,is he yours?Focus on him and thinking about the positive in your life.For instance be happy you are alive and breathing and everyone has financial trouble at times .You can persevere ,do some form of exercise today as long as you can and maybe add 5 minutes tomorrow.Add me as friend and I will try to motivate you.
  • 2boys111
    2boys111 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Depression is so hard. I would concentrate on fitness. Walk for 30 minutes and be consistent. It will make you feel proud and accomplished. After a while you can add some time. Sometimes just getting out of the house and concentrating on yourself can help immensely.

Do you have health insurance? Maybe you should talk to your doctor about an antidepressant?

Take care!!
  • Lizzy622
    Lizzy622 Posts: 3,705 Member
    Options
    Exercise does not mean you need an expensive gym membership or devote hours of your day. There are people on this site that can devote 60 minutes a day 5-6 days a week. Bravo for them but I am not one of them and neither are many members. There are many computer sites and cell phone apps that have free workouts that are between 7 and 15 minutes is you need something structured or just slip on your sneakers and go for a 5 to 10 minute walk. It's funny when I go outside for a walk 10 minutes turns in 20 or more. This time of year it is nice and cool and the colors of the leaves and just being outside keeps me going. Good luck you can do it.
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    You're never too far gone. Read through some of the success stories on here. The more consistent you are with exercise the better you will probably feel!
  • dullestknife
    Options
    exercise is the key. it makes you feel better in general. Aside from helping you reach any health related goals, it's a constructive way to spend your free time.

now i will go spend an hour at the gym or go for a walk/run instead of kicking back with a pizza and tv. it's a positive mental distraction.
  • LankyYankee
    LankyYankee Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    You're never too far gone and remember Depression Lies. It lies it's *kitten* off. Start small, a walk, cleaning the house, movement is movement and a body in motion will tend to stay in motion. Every little bit you do will make you feel that tiny bit better. If you can, take a look at TheBloggess.com. Nothing to do with fitness but she struggles with severe depression and anxiety yet still finds the humor in the absurdity of it. She's kind of my hero.

I've struggled with depression my whole life. It gets better, you get better, and things look up until even the bad days aren't so bad. Feel free to add me as a friend.
  • chani8
    chani8 Posts: 946 Member
    Options
    For exercise: Get out and walk! And try HASfit.com for some really sweet routines. One of my favs: http://hasfit.com/workouts/home/strength-weight-training/leg-workout-at-home/

Exercise helps with depression, as you probably already know.

If you are seriously battling depression, maybe a nice herb like ginseng would help. If you ask at the health food store for an herbal remedy for ADD that specifically has ginseng in it, it may help you get out of your funk.

For battling depressive thoughts, try the Feeling Good Hand/Book by Dr Burns. It's an oldie but goodie, and can change your life.

Good luck!
  • zzk0485
    zzk0485 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone for the advice and support! I feel better already just seeing people care to comment :) I'm going to walk on my lunch break today, such a nice day here in Kansas!
  • zzk0485
    zzk0485 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I'm definitely going to check that out! Thanks
  • phred_52
    phred_52 Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    I totally understand where you are coming from. I'm diagnosed with major depression and on meds for it. It can be extremely difficult at times to make myself go to the gym. It's difficult, but I practically kick myself out of house, because obviously excercise is good, even if it's only 30 min. After exercise, the endorphins are release which will make you feel better

I like/agree with what claudia spoke of. I do hope you can find it in you to change the "too far gone". Hope this helps, or that I made some sense.
  • Needachange84
    Needachange84 Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    I know how you feel. I thought the same way you did. I would tell myself "I have too much to lose" "Never going to get where I want to be" and on and on. In June I started walking early in the morning and on my breaks at work and let me tell you it does make a huge difference. I felt so much better about myself and once I started seeing results my confidence start going up. Now with the gvt shutdown, I'm currently working without pay so that has brought the stress levels up and depression is rearing its ugly head again and I can feel it...but I'm not going to let it bring me down! I used to be an emotional eater and I know if I let it get to me I'll end up back where I started.

Just push thru this, take those walks, be positive, tell yourself you can do this!!

Feel free to add me if you would like :)
  • Cinflo58
    Cinflo58 Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    Start off with small realistic goals that you can stick with. Like make a goal to walk for 30 minutes a day 3 days a week. If you walk more thatn 3 days - great! I don't like exercising but found I love walking. Now I walk for an hour a day and feel crappy wen I can't walk.

DO you have someone you can exercise with?
  • nicoleashley_24
    nicoleashley_24 Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    "Never give up on a dream just because of the time it will take to accomplish it; the time will pass anyway." --Earl Nightingale
  • QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    Options
    Long time sufferer here as well. Am on meds for it. Have you spoken with a doctor? Don't let it steal your joy or your life. :heart: *hugs*
  • Colombianchick29
    Colombianchick29 Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    Dont give up. I used to think like that. But then I realized, that skinny person/ athletic person wasn't born that way. They had to work for it! Don't give you, 6 months down the road you will be so proud of yourself for truley working hard for it! I used to be so depressed about my weight it was really ruining my life. I was so unhappy and so miserable and making my family misrable too. Now Im back to the me I was once before the weight gain. My family & I are much happier. Self eestem really does matter, and it not only affect you, but your family.
  • Kadoober
    Kadoober Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    Maybe try not to look at exercise as as part of losing weight, just as something you can do for yourself that will make you feel better. You don't have to start huge, just starting is great, and you can gradually increase as you adjust. Endorphins are your friend, and they may help with your depression!

The hardest part is getting out the door, you can do this :D
  • SailorSarah311
    SailorSarah311 Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    I know how hard it is to get motivated sometimes, but you have to think in tinier goals. Don't just view the big picture yet. I find it best to make a game plan for exercising. Set goals for what you want to reach each day. Maybe it means taking the stairs one day instead of an elevator. Each week add more items to your game plan. Pretty soon all of these extras will become second nature to you. Financial problems can really stress people out, so try not to let it get to you that hard. I know, easier said than done. Sometimes if you try meditating for a few minutes you can release some of the burdens you have on your mind. Do a mind dump during this time. Throw away any negative thoughts from your mind, and don't let them come back. You are in charge of your own thoughts. Give the negative thoughts an eviction notice.
  • Myhaloslipped
    Myhaloslipped Posts: 4,317 Member
    Options
    Whenever I would get overwhelmed with something as a child, my mom would always say, "the best way to eat an elephant is one bite at a time." Just start with small, realistic goals, and keep pushing yourself. You'll get there. :)
  • frankiep73
    frankiep73 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I know where you are coming from. I have battled depression for years, and at my highest weight point, I felt what was the point, so I kept eating. Then, I got some scary lab results and I said the same thing, "what's the point" and took it to be positive. It was very hard to begin, to take that first step into WW (which is how I initially lost all my weight). I was not making much money, barely surviving financially. How was I going to afford the monthly WW fees and the healthy groceries? Where was the money going to come from to pay for a gym? Well, I didn't get a gym membership, instead, I hit the free things available to me where I live. We have a great bike trail system here that I started biking on. I will never forget that first time, I was so happy I rode 1/2 mile! And lived. Every day I would bike more and more. I started in June of that year, and when the weather got chilly, I kept biking in my ski apparel! Sure I looked like a goof, but it was free! Then I found we had a local community center that has a free track to use. So, I took it indoors. Not being able to bike, I walked and I had hand weights, and I was doing all kinds of arm movements and everything... again looking like a goof, but I was seeing results. Did I still fight depression over money? Oh yes. Every day. But seeing results was keeping me going.

Feel free to friend me. I still battle the depression, even though I seriously have everything I could have dreamed of in my life to make me happy. I truly want for nothing, but I still battle it. And I battle the bulge even more.

So, take the first step and just go for a walk. Don't think of it as losing weight, but rather as a way to clear your mind. Just try.
  • desert_mom
    desert_mom Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    I struggled with postpartum depression after the birth of my last child. It was so hard to care about my body or anything, really. I finally found a doctor who helped me with my wonky hormones and depression and now I'm feeling really good. I still fight my inherent laziness and bad habits, but I feel hopeful, like I am *capable* of change, even if I don't always stick to my goals. If it's an option for you, don't be afraid to seek medical help.

The other thing, for me, is not to link exercise with weight loss. As they say, weight loss is 80-90% diet, not exercise. I felt more in control by focusing on calorie intake for weight loss, and exercise for just feeling awesome. If you can get a walk in, jump rope, do squats and lunges in your living room or whatever, you will feel better. Taking my baby on a walk makes him feel better, too :)

Hang in there. You CAN do this. Read the success stories on this board. They always (re)inspire me when I need it :) Friend me if you'd like.