Site that calculates nutrion/cals?

Options
Hey Friends,
Brains not working today... so I need some help please.
I made a couple meals (soups and stuff) and am looking for a site that, if I put in all the ingredients it will tell me the nutrional value and calories and all that? Per portion... does that exist?
I need something so then I can just create the meal here on MFP.
Any suggestions?
Thank you!

Replies

• jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    You can put it all into MPF, it will tell you the nutritional value of the dish, then you can manually divide it up into portions. I've done that several times.
  • SuperAmie
    SuperAmie Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    I guess Im just being lazy. I could do that. I was just seeing if there was an easier site. Thank you :)
  • jacksonpt
    Options
    You'll have to add all the ingredients regardless.
    You'll get total nutrional info regardless.
    One site will divide into portions for you, the other you do yourself based on what a serving size is for you.

You're too lazy to do that? Some basic division a handful of times? What if I let you use a calculator?
  • SuperAmie
    Options
    One site will divide into portions for you, the other you do yourself based on what a serving size is for you.

You're too lazy to do that? Some basic division a handful of times? What if I let you use a calculator?

Wow thanks. No need for the sarcasm.
    ..and this is why I stay away from forums.
  • rlinaresv
    rlinaresv Posts: 108
    Options
    Don't even know how to answer. Sorry but your question is asking for rudeness
  • micheleb15
    micheleb15 Posts: 1,418 Member
    Options

Come on, you said you were too lazy to enter in all of the ingredients into this site. He just pointed out that you will have to do that in another site too - there's just one more step of division.
  • jacksonpt
    Options

OK, but what are you really hoping for? Say such a site does exist (which it probably does). Is it going to arbitrarily assign a portion size? Your soup... is 1 cup a serving? And if so, is that what you actually eat as a serving?

I make my own chili. I sure as hell don't eat 3/4 of a cup or whatever most sites/places/companies would probably consider a meal. I make my own meatloaf. Again, a 1" slice seems to be the typical serving size. Not for me. A serving is 1/4 of the loaf. Being able to control your own serving size, while requiring a hair more work one time up front, is far more convenient (IMO) every time I log that food.
  • nomeejerome
    nomeejerome Posts: 2,616 Member
    Options
    Um. You are on a site that can calculate all of that for you. Instead of taking the time to search for another site or starting a thread about it, you could have everything entered for a recipe by now....
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/recipe/box

Click green "enter new recipe" button on right side (including number of servings, so you don't even have to math).

Short of hiring someone else to do it for you, this is as easy as it's going to get.
  • SuperAmie
    Options

Click green "enter new recipe" button on right side (including number of servings, so you don't even have to math).

Short of hiring someone else to do it for you, this is as easy as it's going to get.

Thank you :) I didnt know MFP could do this and I was playing around and found out. Thank you though!
  • kikicooks
    kikicooks Posts: 1,079 Member
    Options
    You can do it here, create a recipe.
  • jofjltncb6
    Options

Thank you :) I didnt know MFP could do this and I was playing around and found out. Thank you though!

It's a little-known feature of MFP. Many members have been here for years before stumbling upon it. It has its issues, no doubt, and has (or at least used to have) some quirkiness especially when you modified your existing recipes, but it's better than entering each of the ingredients separately each and doing math...especially if you have an arsenal of home-cooked meals that you use frequently (as most people do).
  • keem88
    keem88 Posts: 1,689 Member
    Options
    yes there is this one site called myfitnesspal. you add in all the ingredients you use for the recipe, if you can't find the ingredients then you can even add it yourself to the data base. then you put how many servings it makes so it gives you all the information per serving and for the whole recipe.

smh...some people :noway:
  • kyodi
    kyodi Posts: 376 Member
    Options
    I need to make this as a suggestion, but I'll state it here first. I will say that adding a new recipe is tedious. It would be nicer if you could add many items at once. Not search for the ground turkey, add it, then search the onion, add it, then search the bell pepper, add it, etc. It would be cool if there was as stock 8 boxes where you could click on the box, search the item, select it, and then without the page refreshing click on the next box and repeat the process.

I can't help it; I'm a software engineer and I see a way the process could be made more user friendly and efficient. With that said... I do take the time to enter my recipes into the MFP site with what servings sizes I want for them.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    I recommend investing in a magic wand...just wave it over your soup or stew or casserole or whatever and you will magically know exactly what the nutritional values are without having to actually do any value inputs. There a bit pricey, but totally worth it...

c'mon...how could any site possibly give you the nutritional information of some homemade concoction without you having to input a list of ingredients, amounts, or how many cups, etc the recipe makes. Internetz are awesome, but they're not magics...
  • jofjltncb6
    Options
    I need to make this as a suggestion, but I'll state it here first. I will say that adding a new recipe is tedious. It would be nicer if you could add many items at once. Not search for the ground turkey, add it, then search the onion, add it, then search the bell pepper, add it, etc. It would be cool if there was as stock 8 boxes where you could click on the box, search the item, select it, and then without the page refreshing click on the next box and repeat the process.

I can't help it; I'm a software engineer and I see a way the process could be made more user friendly and efficient. With that said... I do take the time to enter my recipes into the MFP site with what servings sizes I want for them.

Oh, great googly moogly ^this...please, MFP, do ^this.

(Well, that and the other dozen similar suggestions that have been out there for years that would make MFP more awesome.)
  • jofjltncb6
    Options
    smh...some people :noway:

"some people?"

To which people specifically were you referring?
  • frommetobetterme
    frommetobetterme Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    You can put it all into MPF, it will tell you the nutritional value of the dish, then you can manually divide it up into portions. I've done that several times.

OK, but what are you really hoping for? Say such a site does exist (which it probably does). Is it going to arbitrarily assign a portion size? Your soup... is 1 cup a serving? And if so, is that what you actually eat as a serving?

I make my own chili. I sure as hell don't eat 3/4 of a cup or whatever most sites/places/companies would probably consider a meal. I make my own meatloaf. Again, a 1" slice seems to be the typical serving size. Not for me. A serving is 1/4 of the loaf. Being able to control your own serving size, while requiring a hair more work one time up front, is far more convenient (IMO) every time I log that food.

It sounded to me like she didn't know about the recipe's feature, and thought she would have to count all this through her diary (which is a pain and I've done it before finding the recipe's feature) and if you had simply specified in your first post that you could do this in the recipe feature and also write in the number of servings you want in the recipe, all of this negativity would have been avoided.

Don't assume that everyone knows the ins and outs of the website, and give precise answers instead of 'oh this is obvious, you're so dumb' type statements. Everyone would be much happier :)
  • jacksonpt
    Options

It sounded to me like she didn't know about the recipe's feature, and thought she would have to count all this through her diary (which is a pain and I've done it before finding the recipe's feature) and if you had simply specified in your first post that you could do this in the recipe feature and also write in the number of servings you want in the recipe, all of this negativity would have been avoided.

Don't assume that everyone knows the ins and outs of the website, and give precise answers instead of 'oh this is obvious, you're so dumb' type statements. Everyone would be much happier :)

I didn't know you could do it either. I manage all mine through meals. I've yet to build a recipe. So it appears you're the one assuming everyone knows everything.

And someone's ALWAYS going to be unhappy.

• frommetobetterme
    frommetobetterme Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    p.s. I sometimes go back in the recipe and change the portion sizes. For example, if I freeze some, sometimes it's in bigger containers than others, so I change my recipe accordingly in order to log.

I don't know if this changes my past entries, but I'm not so worried about that since I never look at my food diary further back then for that week.