Strength Training Routines for Women

Options
So, while training for my first half, which is Oct. 27, I have been trying to incorporate strength training into my routines 3xs a week.

When I had a fitness assessment with a personal trainer from my gym, he recommended that I follow this type of schedule:

Monday: Back and Biceps

Wednesday: Triceps, Shoulders and Chest

Friday: Quads, Glutes, Hamstrings and Calves

Now I would have to modify this a bit, since my long runs tend to fall on Saturdays, so I would not want to be doing a heavy leg day the day before a long run.

Does anyone else follow something similar to this?

What I am wondering is, should these large muscle groups always be paired together? I mean, is it frowned upon to mix it up and do like a "total body workout" where I incorporate some sort of exercise using each of these muscles in one workout for one day? (besides legs, I would do one full leg "only" day)

Cuz I often find myself mixing back, biceps, triceps and shoulder exercises into a total body workout at least once a week.

Thoughts?

Replies

• jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    What are your specific goals? i.e. why are you lifting?

Most people will be better served doing full body routines rather than splits. But there's certainly a time and a place for splits.

On a side note... routines for women aren't any different than routines for men. Routines for runners might be different than routines for power lifters or swimmers, but gender doesn't matter.
  • micheleb15
    micheleb15 Posts: 1,418 Member
    Options
    There's nothing wrong with doing a full body workout instead of breaking it up into groups. I prefer it because most exercises that I enjoy are geared towards working many muscle groups. Plus I only lift 3 days a week with a day of rest/jogging in between.
  • gojodster
    gojodster Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    personally I follow Chalean extreme and I love it. she does break it up into groups but 3 times a week you still covered it all. besides it helps you build muscle faster than just doing a bunch a reps. It might be worth looking into. :)
  • Snow3y
    Snow3y Posts: 1,412 Member
    Options
    There's no difference between strength training for men or women. Do one that is made already by professionals
  • Sactown900
    Sactown900 Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    Splits can be fun. I use them to add something different to 47 years of lifting. I can't jog anymore so right now I cycle (or walk) for an hour for 2-3 days, then do a slow-strict-high rep whole body workout every 3-4 days.

In eight weeks I will change it to something else. Consistency is as important as the routine.

At 59, I get better results now with 3-4 day rests between lifting.
  • just_Jennie1
    just_Jennie1 Posts: 1,233
    Options
    When I trained for my first half I did a similar split routine:

Mon: Lower body/back/bi's (and a run)

Tues: Abs/chest/shoulders/tri's (no run)

Wed: Tempo or speed work, no weights

Thurs: Lower/Back/Bi's (run)

Fri: Abs/Chest/Shoulders/Tri's (no run)

Sat: rest or cross train

Sun: long run

I liked the split during my training because I was short on time and it allowed me to get in my runs and my lifting.

Now though I have more time so lift 5 days and I work one muscle group a day alternating legs and abs every other day and I run 4 days a week with one day of "easy" cardio on the arc trainer. If I were training for a race now I doubt I would change anything except what I am doing for my runs.
  • Linli_Anne
    Linli_Anne Posts: 1,360 Member
    Options
    I've also been gearing up for a half marathon, on October 19th. While I have decreased my weights to a level of trying to maintain my current muscles, I'm still lifting 3 days a week.

I do mostly full body lifts during those sessions, and alternate between 2 workouts, A and B. So, week 1 would be A, B, A and week 2 would be B,A,B.
  • cindyellis9404
    cindyellis9404 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Weight lifting is such a good way for a woman to get in the best shape of her life! Fitness RX has free printable lifting routines. Also there is a new book out called The Body Sculpting Bible For Women ed.3 good stuff! Best of luck :)
  • Leadfoot_Lewis
    Leadfoot_Lewis Posts: 1,623 Member
    Options
    Most people will be better served doing full body routines rather than splits. But there's certainly a time and a place for splits.

^^^Yes, this was going to be my response. Beginners especially should be on a full body routine IMO.
  • DaddieCat
    DaddieCat Posts: 3,646 Member
    Options
    New Rules of Lifting for Women or NROLFW... you'll see it around.

http://www.amazon.com/The-New-Rules-Lifting-Women/dp/1583333398
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    What are your specific goals? i.e. why are you lifting?

On a side note... routines for women aren't any different than routines for men. Routines for runners might be different than routines for power lifters or swimmers, but gender doesn't matter.

this

compound lifts trump body part splits in 75-85% of the people who are lifting. Body builders do specific splits- and it's great- it works- it's a thing.

a thing- meaning- it's not a bad thing- nor a good thing... it's just 'a thing'

but for most people it's an added unnecessary layer- and time consuming process. Big compound lifts over head press, squat, bench, dead lift are going to get a LOT of bang for your buck. Definitely recommend whole body and compound lift routines for **most** lifters to start.

also agree- knowing your goals- super helpful- the more we know- the more we can help. :D
  • rick_po
    rick_po Posts: 449 Member
    Options
    The purpose of a split is to give you extra days of recovery time before you hit a muscle again. Beginners who are only doing strength training usually need about 48 hours of rest. So they can exercise every muscle every other day, which means a full body workout 3 times a week works great.

As you lift heavier weights, you'll need longer rest periods, which is when splits pay off. Depending on the type of split you do, you can give your muscles 2 days, or 3 days, or even a week of rest. But a typical beginner doesn't need that much rest.

But you're not a typical beginner. Your priority should be on the running, and the strength training is secondary. You're willing to sacrifice optimal strength gains until you get through the run. So a standard beginner strength program probably isn't best for you. You need the extra recovery time to support your running.

Your trainer's plan isn't what I would suggest, but it's not a bad one.

I would recommend a full body strength routine twice a week, until your race is over. Then shift over to a more typical 3-a-week full body workout. But if you have the time to get to the gym 4 days a week, a split could work too. Don't worry too much about isolation exercises right now - the compound lifts will take you a long way all by themselves. It sounds like you already know to stagger your workouts so you're not exhausting your legs a day or two before your long runs.

Weight training will really help your running in the long run, so I think you're doing a smart thing!
  • CoachDreesTraining
    CoachDreesTraining Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    So, while training for my first half, which is Oct. 27, I have been trying to incorporate strength training into my routines 3xs a week.

When I had a fitness assessment with a personal trainer from my gym, he recommended that I follow this type of schedule:

Now I would have to modify this a bit, since my long runs tend to fall on Saturdays, so I would not want to be doing a heavy leg day the day before a long run.

What I am wondering is, should these large muscle groups always be paired together? I mean, is it frowned upon to mix it up and do like a "total body workout" where I incorporate some sort of exercise using each of these muscles in one workout for one day? (besides legs, I would do one full leg "only" day)

Cuz I often find myself mixing back, biceps, triceps and shoulder exercises into a total body workout at least once a week.

Thoughts?

Speaking as a professional, unless you are an experienced weight lifter with fitness model/bodybuilding goals you should stick with a full body routine. You do not need to hit every bodypart each session, but you should stick with "full body" exercises (squat, deadlift, bench, row, etc.).

You were given this program from a wanna-be bodybuilding personal trainer than learned how to exercise from his older brother. Be hesitant to take advice from personal trainers, especially ones at corporate gyms.
  • Groovyca2022
    Groovyca2022 Posts: 21,378 Member
    Options
    In to follow...
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    I'm curious how many people in this thread actually have experience balancing a meaningful lifting routine with a progressive running program.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    I don't run any more but I am a dancer- like seriously- it's my passion. So class- drilling- technique- performances- gigs.

All of these things.

it takes a lot of time and energy- but I do do both. if I actually gave a crap about running any more- I'd include it and I would run 2-3 days a week and lift the other days ( about 3 years ago I was doing that- b/c I was competing in 5K's but not any more)

it's possible do do both with moderation.
  • jay10587
    jay10587 Posts: 57 Member
    Options

Thoughts?

Speaking as a professional, unless you are an experienced weight lifter with fitness model/bodybuilding goals you should stick with a full body routine. You do not need to hit every bodypart each session, but you should stick with "full body" exercises (squat, deadlift, bench, row, etc.).

You were given this program from a wanna-be bodybuilding personal trainer than learned how to exercise from his older brother. Be hesitant to take advice from personal trainers, especially ones at corporate gyms.

LOL thanks! This is what I was feeling...since he went straight in and told me everything I am doing is "wrong".... :noway:
  • jay10587
    jay10587 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    The purpose of a split is to give you extra days of recovery time before you hit a muscle again. Beginners who are only doing strength training usually need about 48 hours of rest. So they can exercise every muscle every other day, which means a full body workout 3 times a week works great.

As you lift heavier weights, you'll need longer rest periods, which is when splits pay off. Depending on the type of split you do, you can give your muscles 2 days, or 3 days, or even a week of rest. But a typical beginner doesn't need that much rest.

But you're not a typical beginner. Your priority should be on the running, and the strength training is secondary. You're willing to sacrifice optimal strength gains until you get through the run. So a standard beginner strength program probably isn't best for you. You need the extra recovery time to support your running.

Your trainer's plan isn't what I would suggest, but it's not a bad one.

I would recommend a full body strength routine twice a week, until your race is over. Then shift over to a more typical 3-a-week full body workout. But if you have the time to get to the gym 4 days a week, a split could work too. Don't worry too much about isolation exercises right now - the compound lifts will take you a long way all by themselves. It sounds like you already know to stagger your workouts so you're not exhausting your legs a day or two before your long runs.

Weight training will really help your running in the long run, so I think you're doing a smart thing!

Thanks!
  • deathtaco
    deathtaco Posts: 237
    Options
    Any proper weight training program will be just fine for men AND women.

As far as frequency is concerned, for natural lifters (no pro-hormones, sterons or other enhancement compounds) it's most efficient to lift a body part roughly once every 72 hours or so, this translates into a 2x/Week lifting routine for each body part.

How you choose to split that up is up to you, but a common way is A/B = Upper/Lower split, or even a full body routine 3x a week (or so). If you're healthy, compound lifts will give you the most bang for your buck, especially in lower body lifting. Your main concern though should be diet, as females have fairly different dietary requirements than males do in terms of appropriate fat levels.

For the running side, I used to run every morning in either a LISS/MISS/HIIT fashion (not by choice!). I found it best to polarize your workouts with the time of the day. So either morning cardio/night lifting, or the opposite.