My "Ah-Ha" moment while running today.

Options
Halfway through my run today, it began to rain heavily. For a moment I considered stopping and heading home, but then realization washed over me... how many times in my life had I made an excuse to give up? (More than I'd like to admit). I turned and continued my run, crying the entire time... I was so sick of making excuses and regretting them later. I ran the entire thing in the pouring rain and by the time i got home I couldn't tell what was rain, what was sweat, and what was tears... but I finished... and shaved off a minute off my mile :).

Replies

• KristiRTT
    KristiRTT Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    Congratulations, overcoming that instinct to quit is an amazing thing. But I have recently discovered I like running in a warm rain, keeps you cool, a cold rain is a different story but still enjoyable! It takes you back to childhood when you were not supposed to jump in the puddles!
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    Way to go...you either want it or you don't...and you do.

It is funny strange how often times when we grow mentally as adults it takes it's toll...hence the tears...it's like tearing down walls with your bare hands...and it hurts to realize how silly we have been in the past.
  • micheleb15
    micheleb15 Posts: 1,418 Member
    Options
    Great story - congrats on your PR!
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    I actually really enjoy running in the rain... I won't GO out of my way to run in it- but it won't stop me- I always feel so much better after wards.

Good for you though :) Ah-Ha moments are nice. as well as shaved minutes of said miles :D
  • MityMax96
    MityMax96 Posts: 5,778 Member
    Options
    No pain, no gain. :smile:

Got to stick with it.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    Awesome!
  • JcMey3r
    JcMey3r Posts: 431 Member
    Options
    Great to hear you pushed yourself!
  • happysherri
    happysherri Posts: 1,360 Member
    Options
    That's awesome. I recently ran in a drizzle and it was one of the most pleasant runs I've gone on.

I like the 'didn't know what was sweat, tears or rain'
  • Greywalk
    Greywalk Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    Congrats and welcome to the world of runners...you are a runner, why nothing stops you from running. Sometimes I like running in the rain. The best part is a return to childhood when your attitude toward rain versus play was..."its only rain I won't melt."
  • LoosingMyLast15
    LoosingMyLast15 Posts: 1,457 Member
    Options
    Halfway through my run today, it began to rain heavily. For a moment I considered stopping and heading home, but then realization washed over me... how many times in my life had I made an excuse to give up? (More than I'd like to admit). I turned and continued my run, crying the entire time... I was so sick of making excuses and regretting them later. I ran the entire thing in the pouring rain and by the time i got home I couldn't tell what was rain, what was sweat, and what was tears... but I finished... and shaved off a minute off my mile :).

double congratulations! one for not giving up and two for your PR. :)
  • Chevy_Quest
    Chevy_Quest Posts: 2,012 Member
    Options
    These are the stories that keep me coming back to the "open forums". Great Job!
  • WeepingAngel81
    WeepingAngel81 Posts: 2,232 Member
    Options
    What a great moment for you! I probably would've cried a bit too, but it's awesome you made it through your run :)
  • jaysull21
    Options
    That is so fantastic! Congratulations to you! That is big deal and shows your commitment!
    I haven't been caught in a downpour yet, but I actually like running with a little bit of rain to cool me down.
  • niniagrn
    niniagrn Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Congrads!!!! That was an empowering moment for you.
  • ANewMaria2014
    ANewMaria2014 Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    Thank is awesome, good for you!! Good luck on your journey!! With the attitude you have you will succeed.:smile:
  • cindybowcut
    cindybowcut Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    Great NSV. Way to push through and finish what you started.
  • St_Paul
    St_Paul Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Great work! Remember that feeling. You can call on it when you need to.
  • DymonNdaRgh40
    DymonNdaRgh40 Posts: 661 Member
    Options
    Good for you! You know the more you do that, the more confidence you build with everything you set out to do.
  • Phildog47
    Phildog47 Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    How inspiring! I had one of my best bike rides out in the rain, out in the middle of nowhere, still remember it 25 years later.
  • meerkat70
    meerkat70 Posts: 4,616 Member
    Options
    you'll learn to love running in the rain. i do

well done on achieving that today. it is a good lesson to learn. losing weight, getting fit... it's all about making that decision that you arent stuck in old patterns.