Swimwear

Options
I didn't know where to post this, so my apologies right away if I've posted in the wrong thread.

Does anyone have any great suggestions for swimwear that is appropriate for women who are NOT Victoria's Secret models?

My peer group and I are looking for 2-piece suits. Here's what we agree would make the perfect swimsuit for our body type(s):

Bottoms:
Boy-cut, full butt coverage
Waist that hits right at the waistline

Tops:
High-cut back and front, with no-show front cleavage
Sewn-in compression sport-bra without underwires
No spaghetti shoulder-straps
Tank style

Price:
$25.00 (or less) per piece

We all live in the Omaha, Nebraska area, and prefer to try on items before buying, because everyone knows a swimsuit never looks the same once it transfers from the live model or store mannequin to the purchaser.

All suggestions are appreciated.

Thank you!

Replies

• emjean76
    emjean76 Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    I live in Nebraska too and I think this time of year you are going to have a hard time finding swimwear still in stores that you can try on. I would look at Catherine's or Avenue's online stores. They might be a little higher than what you want to spend but the Catherine's suits are especially flattering. Good luck!
  • emjean76
    emjean76 Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    I might also caution you against buying a 2 piece. 2 pieces are kind of tricky. You need to make sure you get the top that has lining throughout the waist area, otherwise when you get in the water it will float up. Not a big fan of 2 pieces especially if you are looking for a bit of tummy control.
  • TheresaTester
    TheresaTester Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    I live in Nebraska too and I think this time of year you are going to have a hard time finding swimwear still in stores that you can try on. I would look at Catherine's or Avenue's online stores. They might be a little higher than what you want to spend but the Catherine's suits are especially flattering. Good luck!

Yes, that's what we're finding--everyone has Fall & Winter things out, but no swimsuits! We'll definitely be checking the 2 online stores you suggested. Thank you!
  • dcglobalgirl
    dcglobalgirl Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    I like Lands End for a wide selection of bathing suits with pretty good coverage. A little expensive though.
  • Tessyloowhoo
    Options
    What about a vintage inspired look... those high waisted little sailor suits
    This site has cheap ones
    http://www.babygirlboutique.com/retro-swimwear.html
    anchor-print-high-waist-bikini-swimsuit.jpg
  • climbing_trees
    climbing_trees Posts: 726 Member
    Options
    Land's End has a great selection of cute and modest swimwear. They aren't cheap but they are high quality pieces that will last you many years. If you can find an outlet store near you, prices tend to be much lower.
  • FitCanuckChick
    FitCanuckChick Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    Honestly, Victoria's Secret has some of the best bikini's out there for modesty (online anyhow) and you can mix and match tops and bottoms to suit your fit. I have great boy bottoms from there and also a fuller coverage bikini (think a bit more retro 50s style). When we vacay at an all inclusive for the week I have 3 victoria secret suits I always save for the end of the week becasue of their coverage (you know - to account for the "I ate and drank a bit more than I usually do and now I am bloated so I need a bottom that holds everything where it should be") - lol. I find that the models are actually not so super skinny - they are more curvy. So, hold your breath and look beyond the gorgeous models :)

I wish I could send you some links (unfortunatly I am on my lunch break and it is a prohibited site -lol).
  • TheresaTester
    Options
    I like Lands End for a wide selection of bathing suits with pretty good coverage. A little expensive though.

I think the Sears store has some floor space dedicated to Lands End--I'll have to go browse and see if they have what we're looking for. Thank you!
  • daj150
    daj150 Posts: 815 Member
    Options
    Not sure on prices, but LL Bean has plenty of selections that will be good for you.
  • TheresaTester
    Options
    What about a vintage inspired look... those high waisted little sailor suits
    This site has cheap ones
    http://www.babygirlboutique.com/retro-swimwear.html
    anchor-print-high-waist-bikini-swimsuit.jpg

I LOVE this suit in your post. We'll check out this link, too... Thank you!
  • TheresaTester
    Options
    Land's End has a great selection of cute and modest swimwear. They aren't cheap but they are high quality pieces that will last you many years. If you can find an outlet store near you, prices tend to be much lower.

We have a new outlet mall that should be opening in November; maybe we'll find something there that will work for the majority of us. Thank you!
  • climbamnt
    climbamnt Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    Walmart online - was surpirsed too much better selection online than in store. Most will in your price range too.

Super easy to return if it doesn't work

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Catalina-Suddenly-Slim-Women-s-Shirred-Halter-Swimsuit/17804485 - This is for a one piece but it is so cute and kinda retro. I have it in two colors!
  • kelly_e_montana
    kelly_e_montana Posts: 1,999 Member
    Options
    I got the perfect swim shorts this last spring at Target. They were cut like shorter running shorts with a tie waist but made out of swimming suit material with built-in underwear. They were black and I could wear them with any of my tankini tops (I look for ones with an underwire and a halter or tank style). I also wore them with a black bikini top (underwire, bra style top). The whole thing looked sporty and not matronly but functioned well. The shorts were about $23 and I already had several tops. Sorry you lost me at no underwire!:noway::laugh:
  • QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    Options
    Lands End has some great swimwear IMO.

http://www.landsend.com/shop/womens-swimsuits/-/N-fxm
  • QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    Options
    Walmart online - was surpirsed too much better selection online than in store. Most will in your price range too.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Catalina-Suddenly-Slim-Women-s-Shirred-Halter-Swimsuit/17804485 - This is for a one piece but it is so cute and kinda retro. I have it in two colors!

Oooh, that IS cute!!
  • etoiles_argentees
    etoiles_argentees Posts: 2,827 Member
    Options
    I really like the one shown above but one pieces can be sexy too.!
  • TheresaTester
    Options
    Honestly, Victoria's Secret has some of the best bikini's out there for modesty (online anyhow) and you can mix and match tops and bottoms to suit your fit. I have great boy bottoms from there and also a fuller coverage bikini (think a bit more retro 50s style). When we vacay at an all inclusive for the week I have 3 victoria secret suits I always save for the end of the week becasue of their coverage (you know - to account for the "I ate and drank a bit more than I usually do and now I am bloated so I need a bottom that holds everything where it should be") - lol. I find that the models are actually not so super skinny - they are more curvy. So, hold your breath and look beyond the gorgeous models :)

I wish I could send you some links (unfortunatly I am on my lunch break and it is a prohibited site -lol).

Yes--I buy all my lingerie and Yoga bras and pants there (at the store), but I always try the clothing on. I love the Yoga bras, but you can't really use them for swimming. I get the catalog, and have shared it with my swim group. Most have decided that the styles are not what they're looking for. The suits are really cute, but we're mainly looking for something that will take a lot of swimming and exercise. Thank you for the suggestion, though!
  • TheresaTester
    Options

I'll have to give this one a try. Thank you!
  • gina42801
    Options
    Check out Hapari - I bought 2 of their suits this past summer and love them!! You can return them if you don't like the fit - I used my measurements and was able to order my exact size.
    Love their high waisted bottoms

http://www.hapari.com/files/cache/4665061a1cf921cf41aa76bb88de5b4a.jpg

A little more $$ than you wanted to spend but worth it
  • Wenchiness
    Wenchiness Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    I go here http://www.swimsuitsforall.com/ prices are close to what you are looking for and the Beach Belle line has good coverage on tops. Decent return policy.