Lifting Beginner

Options
Hey guys,

I've been doing some of the few lifting moves I know on my own lately and enjoy it so much more than machines or anything else I've done. I only stop because I have to, not because I'm tired and I want to. As someone who hates exercise as a rule, it's a nice change.
I'd like to get into Olympic-style moves and recently have been doing squats, dead-lifts, hip-thrusts, and several moves for arms with the barbell (not sure of names there). Also kettle-bell swings - not Olympic, but trying to kind of merge cross-fit and Olympic into my routine.

Basically looking for tips, new moves, your routine - anything to give a beginner a better grasp and get a good routine going :)

ETA: some people have said to join an Olympic or Cross-fit gym, but I have a corporate contract with a gym I like so it's not logical or financially smart for me to do so. Just doing this on my own.

Replies

• ScouseNerd
    ScouseNerd Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    *bump*
    That got lost in the threads pretty quickly. No one has any advice to offer?
  • jhgreer
    jhgreer Posts: 145
    Options
    Maybe check out one of the lifting programs - New Rules of LIfting for Women, Stronglifts, etc. I've done New Rules and loved it - there is a group on MFP and a very active one on facebook. I've heard that New Rules is more complicated than Stronglifts but I think either of them would suit your needs.
  • LishieFruit89
    LishieFruit89 Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options
    I would look into Stronglifts (http://www.myfitnesspal.com/forums/show/4618-stronglifts-5x5-for-women), Strating Strength, or AllPro over NROLFW.

NR won't really aid you in your goal of oly lifting in my opinion.

But these people are AMAZING people to ask this question: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/forums/show/10067-eat-train-progress-
  • timbrom
    timbrom Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    Something like Starting Strength will provide you with a good foundation of general strength. Sounds like you're already doing some of it, but the basic program has you squatting, bench pressing, overhead pressing, deadlifting and power cleaning. The book goes into a lot of depth on form for the lifts, as well as a high-level overview of programming and some other very useful things to know.

I'm not aware of any resources for the olympic lifts, my understanding is that by their nature, you're best off learning from an actual coach who knows how to do the olympic lifts. But Starting Strength (or New Rules of Lifting, or even Stronglifts 5x5, though I have some problems with Stronglifts' bare minimum approach) will provide an excellent foundation of strength that will make learning the olympic lifts easier.
  • fivethreeone
    fivethreeone Posts: 8,196 Member
    Options
    Agree, read New Rules of Lifting for Women as background information, and get a copy of Starting Strength (by mark rippetoe) for all the form information you could want about power lifting.

As for programs, look into StrongLifts (12 week program for beginners) or 5/3/1.

I could say a lot more, but I did write a blog that basically covers how to start lifting/resources/etc, so you can check that out too, if you want.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/fivethreeone/view/how-did-i-workout-570888
  • 0OneTwo3
    0OneTwo3 Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    Starting Strength / Stronglifts 5x5 (the Starting Strength book is a great source of information for beginners.)

Olympic Lifting is highly technical and i advise you to seek the help of a coach for that.
  • amiableviking
    amiableviking Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I did a lot of traditional lifting for some time, but it became a little stagnant, so I tried to incorporate a lot of kettlebell stuff and crossfit type techniques without joining a crossfit gym (the mentality just isn't for me). I've been going through this site and finding new things to do - never a shortage there.

http://www.mountainathlete.com/
  • ScouseNerd
    ScouseNerd Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    Agree, read New Rules of Lifting for Women as background information, and get a copy of Starting Strength (by mark rippetoe) for all the form information you could want about power lifting.

As for programs, look into StrongLifts (12 week program for beginners) or 5/3/1.

I could say a lot more, but I did write a blog that basically covers how to start lifting/resources/etc, so you can check that out too, if you want.

This is really helpful -thanks! I'm going to start Stronglifts today. That Starting Strength book is actually pretty hard to find here it seems, but if I'm honest with myself, I won't read an entire book on this. I barely get through my Womens Health. I'll find an equal resource online for form and technique (if anyone has one).

Thanks to everyone for their suggestions - all pretty good! Won't be going to a coach though. Monay monay monay.
  • booyainyoface
    booyainyoface Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    if you are really into the oly lifts you might want to hire someone to come train you, or look into going to another gym for a few sessions to get a good idea of how to do the movements, work on your skills independently, and go visit the oly coach 6 weeks later to see if you are doing it right. Oly lifting is SUPER technical. I just went to a 20 hour clinic for oly lifting, and we ONLY did the snatch (no clean/jerk)

if that isn't a possibility... i will recommend the app "coaches eye" you video your stuff, post it, and others critique it- its cool cause you can trace lines like your knees and bar path to see where you are missing technical things.
  • timbrom
    timbrom Posts: 303 Member
    Options

This is really helpful -thanks! I'm going to start Stronglifts today. That Starting Strength book is actually pretty hard to find here it seems, but if I'm honest with myself, I won't read an entire book on this. I barely get through my Womens Health. I'll find an equal resource online for form and technique (if anyone has one).

Thanks to everyone for their suggestions - all pretty good! Won't be going to a coach though. Monay monay monay.

There is no resource that is on the same level as Starting Strength for teaching the form for the five big lifts. Seriously, get it. You don't have to read the whole thing in one go, you don't even have to read the whole chapter on squatting before you start squatting. Where is "here" that makes it hard to get Starting Strength? It's available from Amazon.