My trainer told me to cut down on weight training???

Options

Replies

• fivethreeone
    fivethreeone Posts: 8,196 Member
    Options
    I eat 1100-1300 calories a day, most TDEE's say I need about 2100 calories a day.... I am well below 15% of that. I have to make myself eat what I do, I am never really hungry. SHould I eat more?

There's your problem. Yup. Eat more.
  • KathleenMurry
    KathleenMurry Posts: 448 Member
    Options
    Also.... you said this has been going on about a month. Give your body more time to show you the results. It took about 3 months of serious training and diet before I saw a difference in my physique. This is why most people give up so early in a fitness/diet program. Have patience, feed your body, train smart. Results will come.
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    I eat 1100-1300 calories a day, most TDEE's say I need about 2100 calories a day.... I am well below 15% of that. I have to make myself eat what I do, I am never really hungry. Should I eat more?

The trainer is actually a reputable guy in town who is known for "transforming people". I have seen his before and afters in person and they are great. He even admitted that he wouldn't tell most of his clients what he told me, he tells most of them to lift heavy weights.

I am just bummed that I am the only one I guess.

And I thought I was supposed to be intense to lose weight?

Weight loss is controlled by calorie deficit not intensity of your workout. You don't have to kill yourself to lose weight. You don't have much to lose. A small calorie deficit and moderate intensity will work just fine.

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/fat-loss/why-big-caloric-deficits-and-lots-of-activity-can-hurt-fat-loss.html
  • CaliopeCupcake
    Options
    In order to lose, we all know you have to burn more than you eat. Try eating no more than 60gm of carbs per day, like a fitness pro couple I know told me. Put the ego aside, and only lift light weights for tone and to burn cals. until your each your goal. DO NOT EAT AFTER 6 PM.
  • FrnkLft
    FrnkLft Posts: 1,821 Member
    Options
    Well, it's not the best plan, his nutrition advice is bull****, and the weight he wants you to lift is crap too.

That said, if you're only looking to maintain the muscle you have, lifting heavy twice a week and doing cardio the rest of the time is not a bad idea depending on what lifts you're doing.

I am concerned about your ankle though, and I wouldn't want heavy squats or deadlifts to make things worse, but that's all you and knowing your limitations.
  • osothefinn
    osothefinn Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    Try eating no more than 60gm of carbs per day, like a fitness pro couple I know told me. Put the ego aside, and only lift light weights for tone and to burn cals. until your each your goal. DO NOT EAT AFTER 6 PM.

Everything I just quoted is wrong.
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    Oh lord, time for a new trainer.
  • Iron_Feline
    Iron_Feline Posts: 10,750 Member
    Options
    In order to lose, we all know you have to burn more than you eat. Try eating no more than 60gm of carbs per day, like a fitness pro couple I know told me. Put the ego aside, and only lift light weights for tone and to burn cals. until your each your goal. DO NOT EAT AFTER 6 PM.

Soild first post :noway:

IGNORE IGNORE IGNORE.

You need to give it more that a month - you're doing a lot of exercise - try upping your calories a bit and doing heavy lifting - not HIIT as that's really just cardio

I've just started dropping pounds 6 weeks into lifting and eating 1600 cals a day - it takes time to find the sweet spot.:flowerforyou:
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    His advice is stupid, and here's why.

He tells you that you need to cut fat. Okay, right, i can see that. He tells you that you need to do cardio only to lose fat. Wrong. He tells you you are already muscular and dont want to gain more muscle by lifting weights. Wrong.

Here's the thing. You can cut fat through diet. That's fine. But you ARE NOT "gaining muscle" while eating at a calorie deficit. It requires calories and energy to create muscle.

If anything you would be trying to retain as much muscle as possible why losing weight. You want to have a favorable body composition when you hit your goal weight, you dont want a significant amount of the weight you lose to be muscle.

I say keep with the weight lifting and make sure you calorie intake and macros are being monitored accurately.

Perhaps he has a bad idea or assumption of how you want to look when you reach your goal weight?
  • bizco
    bizco Posts: 1,949 Member
    Options
    If you go to www.dailyhiit.com I do workouts similar to that. Like Tabata. Heavy weight lifting, 40 seconds each, 10 second rest between exercises, 8 exercises, repeat 3-4 times.

Prior to talking to the trainer, I do a lot of weight lifting and cardio and have not gotten any results. I am doing everything by the book. High intensity workouts. I don't eat crap. My hormones are fine.

It's not what you eat, it's how much you eat.

figure out your TDEE and cut 15-20% off of it and eat that amount.

Get a copy of New Rules of Lifting for Women and Starting Strength and start doing actual heavy lifting, not HIIT lifting--that's just another form of cardio.
    Agree 100%. No such thing as HIIT lifting, it's just cardio using light weights. If you're not losing weight it's likely due to:
    1. You're underestimating the amount you eat or 2. you're overestimating your calorie burn from exercise.

Are you logging everything that goes into your mouth including all beverages and things used to cook with (butter, oils, etc.)? Are you using a digital food scale to weigh and log everything in grams? Many HRMs overestimate calorie burn so be careful when eating back your extra earned calories.

You don't have a ton of weight to lose so heavy lifting is essential to minimize muscle loss while operating at a calorie deficit. The New Rules book mentioned above is awesome! It consists of full body workouts 3x per week. You can do cardio if you choose.

Here's a link to a group of women who are following the NROL4W program:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/102-new-rules-of-lifting-for-women-nrol4w
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    So much to disagree with in this thread.

1. Eat more. How do you have ANY energy to do all that exercise on those calorie intakes? (unless you are way underestimating what you eat)

2. 5-6 small meals a day is meaningless, the no carbs after noon is more absurd than the stop lifting suggestion.

3. Bag the "HIIT" lifting, just lift "normally" or in a standard circuit type routine. 2-3 full body workouts a week. Fill in the rest with your desired cardio.
  • samammay
    samammay Posts: 468
    Options

Worst advice ever.

ETA: No seriously... the only thing not wrong with this is that you have to burn more than you eat *to lose weight. Really... totally garbage advice and to the poster that posted this, your fitness pro couple are idiots.
  • aimforhealthy
    aimforhealthy Posts: 449 Member
    Options
    The #1 reason I can't wait to get my personal trainer certification in a few months is to be one more voice in the wilderness NOT perpetuating misinformation on unsuspecting clients like this. SMH.

OP, as other more eloquent people have elucidated for you, your trainer is wrong and you might want to look for another one.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    I eat 1100-1300 calories a day, most TDEE's say I need about 2100 calories a day.... I am well below 15% of that. I have to make myself eat what I do, I am never really hungry. Should I eat more?

The trainer is actually a reputable guy in town who is known for "transforming people". I have seen his before and afters in person and they are great. He even admitted that he wouldn't tell most of his clients what he told me, he tells most of them to lift heavy weights.

he tells everyone else to lift heavy, but tells you to ditch the weights and up the cardio ...whhhhhaaaaaatttt??????
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options

Worst advice ever.

probably one of the most inaccurate pieces of advice ever given on MFP....
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options

he tells everyone else to lift heavy, but tells you to ditch the weights and up the cardio ...whhhhhaaaaaatttt??????

Maybe she told him she wants to be a waifish looking model with 70lbs LBM. Who knows.
  • tonynguyen75
    tonynguyen75 Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    Count your calories. OP has nothing about calories. 5-6 "small" meals? How many calories each meal?

Calories? Macros?

Calories?

Open up your diary and we'll be able to help you more.
  • DrMAvDPhD
    DrMAvDPhD Posts: 2,097 Member
    Options
    Lemme guess, your PTF got his license on that special GroupOn was running last week?
  • mallen404
    mallen404 Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    Trainer fail - move on. Unfortunately, anyone can get that piece of paper.

Agreed. Your trainer doesn't know what they are talking about.
  • ashleybarkley
    Options
    I do measure and weigh everything I eat, including cooking oils. I cannot eat butter due to the dairy allergy. I also pre-pack my meals the night before. I am fairly confident that I am not over or under estimating my food intake. It is possible that I my calories burned are not accurate, but I do know that I work out at least 60 minutes a day and I am drenched with sweat and have the "good sore" feeling often.

How long to give a new workout routine before trying something new? I have been trying to lose weight with diet and exercise since February, only started incorporating weights for a little over a month. I am not new to weights however, I just have bad memories of being a college athlete in the gym room :)