Bodybuilding/Strength Training

Options
Hey all, male and female alike

I was just wondering if there are any users here that do a bodybuilding/old school approach to weight lifting and if their goals are building muscle, gaining strength and going for that built ripped look. Or even if you're just going for aesthetics. Whatever floats your boat!

If so, I was keen to see what kind of workout routines/plans you guys are rocking and if you all just wanted to share what everyone does.

I'll go first, of course. This is my plan and what I do currently;

Monday: Chest/Triceps
Bench Press - 4 x 8-12
Incline Dumbbell Press - 4 x 8-12
Dumbbell Flyes - 4 x 8-12
Press Ups - 4 x 8-12
Bench Dips - 4 x 8-12
Seated Tricep Extension - 4 x-12
Skullcrushers - 4 x 8-12
Dumbbell Tricep Kickback - 4 x 8-12
Cardio - Tyre Flips and Sprints

Tuesday: Legs/Abs
Leg Extensions - 4 x 8-12
Barbell Squats- 4 x 8-12
Barbell Lunges - 4 x 8-12
Dumbbell Calf Raises - 4 x 8-12
Sit Up Twists - 100
Dumbbell Twists - 100
Bicycle - 100

Wednesday: Back/Biceps
Bent Over Two Arm Long Bar Rows- 4 x 8-12
One Arm Dumbbell Rows - 4 x 8-12
Dumbbell Incline Row - 4 x 8-12
Inverted Rows - 4 x 8-12
Wide Grip Barbell Curls - 4 x 8-12
Preacher Curls - 4 x 8-12
Hammer Curls - 4 x 8-12
Seated Close Grip Barbell Concentration Curls - 4 x 8-12
Cardio - Cycling and Step Sprints

Thursday: Rest

Friday: Shoulders/Legs
Seated Barbell Military Press- 4 x 8-12
Dumbbell Front Lateral Raise- 4 x 8-12
Incline Reverse Flyes - 4 x 8 -12
Upright Barbell Row - 4 x 8-12
Leg Extensions - 4 x 8-12
Barbell Squats- 4 x 8-12
Barbell Lunges - 4 x 8-12
Dumbbell Calf Raises - 4 x 8-12

Saturday: Abs/Biceps
Wide Grip Barbell Curls - 4 x 8-12
Preacher Curls - 4 x 8-12
Hammer Curls - 4 x 8-12
Seated Close Grip Barbell Concentration Curls - 4 x 8-12
Ab Ripper X
Cardio - Tyre Flips with Sprints and Tyre Pulls

Sunday: Rest/Light Yoga

Replies

• bizco
    bizco Posts: 1,949 Member
    Options
    I follow the program laid out in the book "The New Rules of Lifting For Women." Heavy lifting 3x per week. Full body workouts doing compound lifts, no isolation moves. My goals are lose weight, gain strength, and look great. I also do some cardio on non-lifting days.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,701 Member
    Options
    Why biceps twice a week and not include triceps? It's a sound split program for hypertrophy if you're recovering.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • theredfro
    theredfro Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Mostly 'cause at the moment, I've only just got back into it again and I'm kind of feeling it out - trying to figure out what day I should add the second lot of triceps too.

Which day are you thinking?
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,209 Member
    Options
    I would do an upper / lower split twice a week. It's less stress on each body part at each workout (= less chance of injury).
    Also, 16 sets per body part is way overkill, if those are heavy sets. Try 4 sets for each workout (biceps / triceps only need 2-3 sets, since they get worked on other exercises).

Wish my gym had tires / tyres to flip.
  • theredfro
    Options
    I used to do a upper/lower split and prefer working out this way; I get better results this way and have more fun with it. The amount of exercises I do aren't always set in stone, I lift heavy, do what I can and if I feel like the next or last exercise is too much, I move on.

Tyre flips, I'm getting a tyre soon from a tyre shop, storing it in the community shared garden of my block of apartments, chaining it to a post and roll it down the streets to the nearest park/common. I do what I can, had to quit gym for lack of monies.
  • phjorg1
    phjorg1 Posts: 642 Member
    Options
    That's about a bro of a split as u can get.

It will work, but it still sucks. Look into good templates like 5/3/1 or phat.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    building muscle, and going for that built ripped look. Or even if you're just going for aesthetics. Whatever floats your boat!

those are kind of the same thing. being ripped is the same as asthetics- so I'm not sure what your question is.

asthetics is almost purely a function of diet.

strength from your training program.

you can look ripped as hell and be super weak... totally possible. yay diet.

that being said- I train hard to be strong- but maintain my diet for aesthetics. I do a lot of compound lifting- and currently my goals:
    300 lb dead lift
    muscle up

i don't do a lot of isolation exercises. I tag most of what I need through compound lifts- with the addition of push ups/pull ups and rows.

I actually used to do a workout very similar to what you are doing now... and I have to tell you I look way better now sticking with fewer isolations and more compounds coupled with a few serious HIIT style training sessions with plyos.
  • Showcase_Brodown
    Showcase_Brodown Posts: 919 Member
    Options
    Call me minimalistic...

Your routine seems like overkill to me. Yikes. How many hours a week do you spend at the gym?

To each their own.
  • micheleb15
    micheleb15 Posts: 1,418 Member
    Options
    I would also suggest doing 5x5 or 5/3/1. I'd be so tired of doing that many reps each day, but that's just me.
  • FrnkLft
    FrnkLft Posts: 1,821 Member
    Options
    Well listen if it's working for you that's great. Seems like it has a lot in common with Layne Norton's PHAT routine which I ran for a while. I will say this though, I've changed to what is basically an Upper/Lower split, with 5 exercies per day, and I'm feeling a lot better and still getting results. I basically took what I was doing with PHAT and cut out the fat/consolidated things into compound movements. The only isolation I do are laterals and curls.

But like I said, if it's working for you, very cool and keep it up.
  • funforsports
    funforsports Posts: 2,656 Member
    Options
    That is not a bad routine but it is definitely for an advanced bodybuilder who is focusing on every muscle. I use to run a routine like this but have since gone back to have my workouts more compound exercise focused. I have seen much greater results by focusing on pushing as much weight as I possibly can in a few compound exercises compared to doing a million exercises with less intensity and more isolated muscle focused. You can definitely get results using either approach, it depends much more on consistency in making it to the gym and keeping your diet correct.
  • theredfro
    Options
    As said before, I don't always do every exercise that is listed out. I listen to my body and do what I feel capable of on the day. My workouts rarely go beyond 60-90 minutes. I'm basically doing this workout for a while, see how my body responds, after having done an upper/lower body split. If this doesn't get start showing signs of the results I want in six months or so, I'll change it and see how it goes. I'm at the point where I'm basically figuring out what works for my body best.
  • JNick77
    JNick77 Posts: 3,783 Member
    Options
    As said before, I don't always do every exercise that is listed out. I listen to my body and do what I feel capable of on the day. My workouts rarely go beyond 60-90 minutes. I'm basically doing this workout for a while, see how my body responds, after having done an upper/lower body split. If this doesn't get start showing signs of the results I want in six months or so, I'll change it and see how it goes. I'm at the point where I'm basically figuring out what works for my body best.

You may want to train for strength first and then train for aesthetics. Once you have a good base of strength it's easier to get bigger, assuming your diet is in order.

Why the same set / rep scheme for every exercise? Also, one thing I've read recently (in reference to bodybuilding) was putting your compound movements last since all the supporting exercises will be exhausted and you'll be really forced on "feeling" the muscle more. Maybe something like,

a Dips: 4 x 6-8
    b1 High Cable Crossovers 5 x 10 - 12
    b2 EZ bar Skull Crushers 5 x 10 12 (superset b1 / b2)
    c. Hammer Strength Decline Press 4 x 10-12
    d. Incline Bench Press 5 x 6-8

I will be the first to admit I am not overly educated on bodybuilding templates, I prefer strength and performance, but you can see what I mean in reference to putting your compound movements last. Yes, Dips can be considered compound movements but it's really a good way to start to kind of hit everything.
  • FrnkLft
    FrnkLft Posts: 1,821 Member
    Options

You may want to train for strength first and then train for aesthetics. Once you have a good base of strength it's easier to get bigger, assuming your diet is in order.

Why the same set / rep scheme for every exercise? Also, one thing I've read recently (in reference to bodybuilding) was putting your compound movements last since all the supporting exercises will be exhausted and you'll be really forced on "feeling" the muscle more. Maybe something like,

I will be the first to admit I am not overly educated on bodybuilding templates, I prefer strength and performance, but you can see what I mean in reference to putting your compound movements last. Yes, Dips can be considered compound movements but it's really a good way to start to kind of hit everything.

Dude if you're putting your heavy lifts last, it's going to kick your *kitten*. Granted you will have to lower the weight on the big lifts if you're pre-exhausted, but then what's the point of doing them, right? It would basically be compound accessory work.
  • funforsports
    funforsports Posts: 2,656 Member
    Options

I think I saw that article and I completely disagreed with it. There are plenty of other articles out there that would counter that argument. Personally, I feel like you want to do the exercises that you push the most weight with first. By exhausting your muscles with simple isolation exercises, you are simply limiting your ability to push a large amount of weight from pre-exhausting those muscles.
  • LolBroScience
    LolBroScience Posts: 4,537 Member
    Options
    I dont think you need that much volume if you're hitting every group 2x a week. Also.. why everything in the 8-12 range? You won't be able to progressively overload as effectively.
  • JNick77
    Options
    I think I saw that article and I completely disagreed with it. There are plenty of other articles out there that would counter that argument. Personally, I feel like you want to do the exercises that you push the most weight with first. By exhausting your muscles with simple isolation exercises, you are simply limiting your ability to push a large amount of weight from pre-exhausting those muscles.

Have you tried it? With bodybuilding it's not about pushing a ton of weight, it's more about "feeling" your muscles and getting the pump going. Everybody has a right to their opinion and preference in how they train, but John Meadows is well-regarded expert in the industry so he must be on to something. There are plenty of bodybuilders that of course don't train that way but John's results speak for themselves and his clients look friggin' amazing. Comes down to personal preference.
  • phjorg1
    phjorg1 Posts: 642 Member
    Options

Have you tried it? With bodybuilding it's not about pushing a ton of weight, it's more about "feeling" your muscles and getting the pump going. Everybody has a right to their opinion and preference in how they train, but John Meadows is well-regarded expert in the industry so he must be on to something. There are plenty of bodybuilders that of course don't train that way but John's results speak for themselves and his clients look friggin' amazing. Comes down to personal preference.
    anyone who is big is also strong..

I don't get the argument about how it's not about pushing a ton of weight, and then they watch an elite BBer load up 450lbs onto a bench and push it for reps.... There is a reason why every beginner and intermediate template thats thrown around by experts have strength components where the goal is nothing short of training your body to push tons of weight.
  • JNick77
    Options

anyone who is big is also strong..

I don't get the argument about how it's not about pushing a ton of weight, and then they watch an elite BBer load up 450lbs onto a bench and push it for reps.... There is a reason why every beginner and intermediate template thats thrown around by experts have strength components where the goal is nothing short of training your body to push tons of weight.

I didn't say that bodbuilders aren't strong, I said the main goal is not to push around a ton of weight. The end goal is size, symmetry, and low-bodyfat.

However, pound for pound an equivalent BB is not typically as strong as an equivalent PL because they have different training goals.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,701 Member
    Options
    I would do an upper / lower split twice a week. It's less stress on each body part at each workout (= less chance of injury).
    Also, 16 sets per body part is way overkill, if those are heavy sets. Try 4 sets for each workout (biceps / triceps only need 2-3 sets, since they get worked on other exercises).

Wish my gym had tires / tyres to flip.
    16 sets isn't overkill if the goal is hypertrophy. High volume sets are a staple for hypertrophy.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition