Treadmill vs. Pavement

Options
2»

Replies

• Bry_Fitness70
    Bry_Fitness70 Posts: 2,480 Member
    Options
    In cold weather areas (I’m in Ohio), I think you get the mileage wherever you can in the winter. I do a lot of night running on pavement due to a busy family schedule, but as a male, I am not as concerned about running alone out in the dark. But if it is too snowy or icy outside, I’d rather endure the treadmill than bust my a** and get injured!
  • TheBrolympus
    TheBrolympus Posts: 586 Member
    Options
    Get a headlamp and run outside.

This is exactly what I do in the winter months. Back out behind our housing development it's very rural. Fields, dirt roads, woods, and no lighting whatsoever. I never see anything but skunks, coyotes, rabbits, and cattle out there. You're going to feel a tad spooked the first time or so but when you get used to it you're going to really love running at night with a headlamp. It's very calming.
    And the best part is, on those rare nights when it's crystal clear and the moon is full, you can just turn the headlamp off and run by moonlight. There is nothing, absolutely nothing, like it.
    I agree completely with this. I love moonlight trail runs when the weather permits

Full moon runs are awesome. I love running when it is quiet and no one else is out and about.
  • lisal11
    lisal11 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I was also going to mention a high school track as well. Usually they have bright lights.

For whatever it's worth, one of my closest friends ran the Boston Marathon and she did a lot of training on a treadmill. She would do it while her kids were sleeping. She finished the marathon in good time.

I guess it's just about what works for you.
  • tonynguyen75
    tonynguyen75 Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    Have you run on a treadmill before? If so, you should know how it compares for YOU to running outside. If not, try it and see how it compares. Most people say it's easier. On my old treadmill (a new and expensive NordicTrack one) it was HARDER. I had that treadmill replaced under warranty with a different, more expensive model, and now, it's EASIER on the treadmill. But not significantly so. I would say one run a week outside is plenty. I trained for my half last winter mostly outside. I hope to do the same half next April. I won't be doing most of it outside though - just a long run on weekends. I didn't really enjoy blue lips and ice covering my face LOL. I think ideally running outside is better, but I think it's perfectly doable to use a treadmill for much of your training. They're not all long runs after all.

I live in Michigan so it's cold and snowy. Here's what I looked like most of last winter LOL:
    i-d8nC2Rw-L.jpg

Are you a ninja?
  • TheGymGypsy
    TheGymGypsy Posts: 1,023 Member
    Options
    I trained for a half marathon last year primarily on the treadmill because I live in Texas, and running in the heat after work was a huge no no for me. As long as you set the incline up a little, and do your long runs outdoors, you should do fine.
  • knk1553
    knk1553 Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    I train both, I'm in NC and running outside during the summer months was nearly impossible unless it was at 5:30 am, so if I didn't make that run time, I had to run on the treadmill, or risk passing out in the 90+ degree weather. Right now we're in a rainy mess, so most of my runs this week except for my long run will be on the treadmill. I find the treadmill to be quite miserable for me, mainly because I get bored, but I do find that it helps me pace myself, which is something I struggle with outdoors. I tend to set my treadmill on a 2-3% incline while running indoors or put it on a "random" program so I do get some incline. I can't say if its good or bad, I think its about preference.

However, if you're following one of Hal Higdon's novice programs you should only be running 4 days a week with 1 day of crosstraining. I do my weekday runs on T,W,Th, and long run on Sat, but you could do W,Th,F (this one outside since you said you have a half day) with a long run on Sunday. That way you get 2 runs a week outside. I feel well prepared for my half with running only 4 times a week. You also have 7 months until your half, so that should be PLENTY of time to train, and you should have some time with it getting lighter before the half to do most of your long runs outside as well.
  • Still_Fluffy
    Still_Fluffy Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    I have to do a lot of my training on the dreadmill. Up your incline 1 to 2% and hunker down for a long and boring run.
  • happycauseIride
    happycauseIride Posts: 536 Member
    Options

Maybe I can do a couple short runs outside. It's so hard to get used to. Fields and woods makes me feel like something is going to come out and snatch me up. :laugh: I can save the longer runs for Friday and Saturday afternoons.

OP...I'm with you on this one. I live in a remote area too and am scared of coyotes, skunks, cougars and who knows what else is hiding out there. What about the weekend? Can you get a longer run in then? Maybe Saturday or Sunday morning??
  • DymonNdaRgh40
    DymonNdaRgh40 Posts: 661 Member
    Options
    I would be afraid to run at night myself as well especially if you aren't used to it and are unsure if it is safe. The very mention of coyotes and potholes has me worried. I think if you do some of your running on the treadmill you'll be fine. If you can manage to do your long runs on the weekend that would be great too this way you get some pavement running in. While on the treadmill, you could incorporate some sprint intervals to mix it up a bit. I usually increase the speed for a couple of minutes to sprint when I'm on the treadmill.
  • MandaPaigeSparkles88
    MandaPaigeSparkles88 Posts: 1,289 Member
    Options
    Personally I love both. I can get a good workout walking on a treadmill just as much as I can walking on pavement. If I wanted to pick between the two it would be the pavement. Just because of the scenery where I live everything is changing (the leaves etc) fall is happening and I love it. Now winter time I will say that the treadmill is my best friend. But during fall, spring, and summer I prefer going out and walking on the pavement. Either way as long as you are burning calories that's all that matters.
  • Keebler1976
    Keebler1976 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    I do both, When I started I did Treadmill 100% of the time, then I tried to do an outdoor 10k on pavement in the wind on a rainy day... "WTF is wrong with me and why do my legs feel like they are on fire" was my thought about 4k into it.. So now I only do the treadmill if I have to (Major thunderstorm, hail, uber ice etc.) keep the incline at 2% minimum and keep the pace do able but on the cusp of uncomfortable. I make sure I keep looking outside to see, Hmm is it really that bad out ?? Like everyone said Try and do your long run outside, get a running buddy, drive to a park, run a school track, or come up to Canada and I'll run with yha !! Cheer's