CONFUSED!!! HELP!!!

Options
2»

Replies

• socajam
    socajam Posts: 2,530 Member
    Options
    So I am still in the swing of getting this calorie thing in place....now I do understand that you have a certain amount of calories per day but does it matter how you get them or what you eat? Like if I eat a burger (although I haven't) for a meal or fired chicken and by the end of the Day Im still within my calories, will I still lose weight? Or is it certain foods that I have to eat to lose weight? Im sure I have posed question along these line before and if so im sorry, but Im just still a bit confused. I do eat what I want and I do measure my food but like today I ate chinese food and now I feel horrible about eating chinese but I still have calories left and I havent worked out yet. I almost feel like if im not chewing salad and grilled chicken for every meal I am doing something wrong. Any information would be appreciated. maybe how you do or the things you eat or if this is you as well.

I looked at your diary and nearly fell off my chair at the amount of sodium you are eating. Personally, if you want to eat clean, sodium is one of the things you have to pay particular attention too. For me, I have my sodium level at 1500 mg, some days not even going 1000mg. Too much sodium and your body retains a lot of water, hence the scale will not move as you would like. Some people on here are not too worried about sodium, but why eat too much of something now, that may affect you later in life.
  • Guinivere
    Guinivere Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    yes, as long as you are at a caloric deficit, you will lose weight. Which foods you choose doesn't matter for overall weight loss. Choosing higher protein foods *will* help you lose more fat than muscle. And choosing less calorie dense foods will make it easier for you to stay on track, since they will make you more full on a per calorie basis.
    thanks for your input. I hope this is not a silly question but when you say calorie dense foods, could you give me an example of such?

Calorie dense foods are foods that have a high amount of calories for a small portion. Examples would be nuts, avocadoes, nut butters, etc.
    oh ok thanks for tht info...gosh I ate some peanuts today :-/

Peanuts are legumes. Nuts and nut butter are cashew, pecan, pistachio, hazelnut, Brazil, almond, macadamia, walnut, pine nut.... Nut butter is a great source of healthy fats and protein and keeps you full or longer. Eat with carrot sticks and cucumber sticks for a great contrast in taste and texture.

Many people have a lot of success by reducing carbs in general, cutting out all sugar and gluten based products, potatoes and rice in favour of more satisfying meals that don't spike your insulin, sending you into a crash which makes you hunt for another snack...

I eat an avocado every day and 12 mixed nuts every day as my snacks.

By doing this you end up eating a more Paleo style, "clean" way. But in order to maintain once you've lost your goal weight you have to accept this is a lifestyle change for good.
  • joshdann
    joshdann Posts: 618 Member
    Options
    I hate seeing the BS advice to avoid calorie dense foods, which are usually NUTRIENT dense foods. We are not satiated by filling our stomachs to bursting with low calorie food, we are satiated by giving our body adequate nutrients. So avocadoes, meat/fat, and nuts to a lesser extent are all good... A high protein, low fat diet is NOT the way to go. The fat myth has been busted, over and over and over.

FYI Peanuts are a legume and not a nut. I eat nuts in reasonable portions (but not legumes)..

Edit: avocados are one of the healthiest foods to eat. I can't believe I still see people encouraging others to avoid them because they are "calorie dense". I'm seeing red.
    I don't think anyone said to eat low fat. And yes, a higher protein content in your diet has been scientifically proven to help maintain more LBM. Avoiding "calorie dense" feeds as a rule doesn't mean you can't ever eat them. It means that for a given number of calories, more weight and more volume means feeling full longer. There are caveats, of course... but the concept is valid. I never said to avoid avocados, they are a great food.

She asked about weight loss, not overall health. For weight loss, a caloric deficit has been proven 6 ways to Sunday as the most effective, nay, the only truly effective method.

If you can take the time to read what was written, you will see that you are arguing against nobody, as nobody said the things causing you to see red.
  • shabrick00
    shabrick00 Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    So I am still in the swing of getting this calorie thing in place....now I do understand that you have a certain amount of calories per day but does it matter how you get them or what you eat? Like if I eat a burger (although I haven't) for a meal or fired chicken and by the end of the Day Im still within my calories, will I still lose weight? Or is it certain foods that I have to eat to lose weight? Im sure I have posed question along these line before and if so im sorry, but Im just still a bit confused. I do eat what I want and I do measure my food but like today I ate chinese food and now I feel horrible about eating chinese but I still have calories left and I havent worked out yet. I almost feel like if im not chewing salad and grilled chicken for every meal I am doing something wrong. Any information would be appreciated. maybe how you do or the things you eat or if this is you as well.

I looked at your diary and nearly fell off my chair at the amount of sodium you are eating. Personally, if you want to eat clean, sodium is one of the things you have to pay particular attention too. For me, I have my sodium level at 1500 mg, some days not even going 1000mg. Too much sodium and your body retains a lot of water, hence the scale will not move as you would like. Some people on here are not too worried about sodium, but why eat too much of something now, that may affect you later in life.
    WOW... i have not noticed that but I just looked and yes it is alot..maybe i need to pay more attention to that gosh that just made me depressed
  • spoiledpuppies
    spoiledpuppies Posts: 675 Member
    Options
    More on calorie dense foods...Something that is calorie dense is basically something that's physically small, but has a lot of calories. As people have said, there are many calorie dense foods that are good for you like nuts and avocados. You should eat them within your calorie allotment. There are bad versions of calorie dense foods, like cookies.

Foods that are NOT calorie dense are physically large, but don't have a lot of calories. Some of these are really good for you too, like broccoli and other veggies. So you eat these to help fill you up (so you don't feel so hungry and can sustain your weight loss plan). Plus you get the nutrients.

I often use Oreos to help me decide what to eat. (My husband always has these in the house, so they are an option for me, but so far haven't chosen to eat them.) Oreos are very calorie dense--Mega Stuffs have 180 calories per serving, which is just two cookies! (So, they're physically small, but with many calories.) So I'll say to myself, "I could have two Oreos or an entire bag of the broccoli that comes ready-to-steam in a bag with some oil and seasonings on it." Since I know that the broccoli will fill me up a ton more than the Oreos, I end up choosing the broccoli, or another food that is not calorie dense, healthier, and will fill me up more.

I hope this helped, with foods as examples. You seem really sweet and ready to master this stuff!

Edit: I just noticed in your profile that you can't eat leafy greens--cauliflower is my new favorite and there are many other options rather than broccoli!
  • shabrick00
    shabrick00 Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    More on calorie dense foods...Something that is calorie dense is basically something that's physically small, but has a lot of calories. As people have said, there are many calorie dense foods that are good for you like nuts and avocados. You should eat them within your calorie allotment. There are bad versions of calorie dense foods, like cookies.

Foods that are NOT calorie dense are physically large, but don't have a lot of calories. Some of these are really good for you too, like broccoli and other veggies. So you eat these to help fill you up (so you don't feel so hungry and can sustain your weight loss plan). Plus you get the nutrients.

I often use Oreos to help me decide what to eat. (My husband always has these in the house, so they are an option for me, but so far haven't chosen to eat them.) Oreos are very calorie dense--Mega Stuffs have 180 calories per serving, which is just two cookies! (So, they're physically small, but with many calories.) So I'll say to myself, "I could have two Oreos or an entire bag of the broccoli that comes ready-to-steam in a bag with some oil and seasonings on it." Since I know that the broccoli will fill me up a ton more than the Oreos, I end up choosing the broccoli, or another food that is not calorie dense, healthier, and will fill me up more.

I hope this helped, with foods as examples. You seem really sweet and ready to master this stuff!

Edit: I just noticed in your profile that you can't eat leafy greens--cauliflower is my new favorite and there are many other options rather than broccoli!
    The example with the Oreos is a really good one. I never thought about things that way and thats because I am not really knowledgable but thanks to all of the smarty pants (lol) here who help and know so much I am learning alot. Thank you for your kind words and input.