Why do coworkers want to feed us???

Options
edorice
edorice Posts: 4,519 Member
I've been on my "journey" since last November. I've learned a lot and my exercise endurance has greatly improved. Today I finished my second workout at the gym and came back to get my protein shake from the office fridge. A coworker asked if I was going to have some flan cake this time (someone's birthday today). I told her thanks, but I just burned 300 calories on the treadmill at lunch.

So, another coworker was just saying that they were wondering if I was going to have cake this time. What, are my eating habits being discussed now??? I'm still 220 lbs., I'm not in danger of wasting away!!!

Replies

• samiko
    samiko Posts: 34
    Options
    Oh ha ha...that was really funny! I too have lost enough weight people can NOTICE! I have discovered that at a "get together" or a function, people look to see WHAT I'm eating, and I guess to see if I do actually eat???? LOL I EAT all the time, no danger of starving over here!
  • phxmamichula
    Options
    haters. they were probably big too. and insecure. its none of thier business.
    keep up the good work!
  • sparklesammy
    sparklesammy Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    Its so true! My co-workers fluctuate between trying to get me to eat rubbish and saying "sam can't eat that she's on a diet".

both are annoying!!!
  • platoon
    platoon Posts: 340
    Options
    I hate that all my co-workers ask, "Can you eat this? Can you eat that?" What does it matter to you!?!?

At first, it was, "Oh come on... everyone deserves a treat."

Now everyone wants to safeguard my taste buds.

I guess it's nice that they "care"... but now I feel like my business is all on the street! :-/
  • Scorpiomom222
    Scorpiomom222 Posts: 1,462 Member
    Options
    Jerks. That is all I have to say. It doesn't even sound like they had your best interest at heart. It sounds like they were saying "hey girl! You hungry?"
  • helehcim
    Options
    At the last office pot-luck I showed up with a veggie tray and low fat honey mustard. I did it on purpose, just so they could look at me like I had three heads. But I KNEW no one was going to bring anything I would be comfortable eating.
  • edorice
    Options
    It's odd, because I have a great bunch of coworkers and they have been supportive.
  • precioustypeoflove
    precioustypeoflove Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    plain and simple they just dont want u to loss weight they are evil haters!
  • kimbalee661
    kimbalee661 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I am fortunate as well and my co-workers are all on Board. In fact, I work out with my co-worker on Tuesdays. She's a fitness trainer and has taught spin for several years. I am fortunate to have a HUGE support system at home and at work. Good luck to you all!

:smile:
  • SweetPandora
    SweetPandora Posts: 660 Member
    Options
    I think they are jealous of your discipline and dedication and the results you are achieving.

You weren't happy with your body image and you are doing what it takes to change it and live a fit and healthy lifestyle. They may try to come across as being supportive but I'm sure deep down they are envious of your committment and willpower.

Some of my co-workers made some really unkind comments when I was injured and couldn't work out during the summer. I know it was from jealousy as they are always asking what workout I did at lunch or how far I ran the night before. One even told me that I would be crazy to start running again after my injury and why would I want to!

Karen
  • edorice
    Options
    After cake was cut I was asked once again if I wanted some, geesh!
  • ErinMarie25
    ErinMarie25 Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    Sometimes it's not just co-workers. My family does it to me sometimes, or friends. They just don't get it!!!
  • silvercad
    Options
    because food is love to everyone overweight...... unless they've been on a diet, they don't realize how hard it is to get back on once you slip...............
  • silvercad
    Options
    whats funny is i've found that when people do bring healthy low fat snacks, they GET EATEN!! we're just brainwashed into thinking snacks have to be cakes, pies, cookies, etc..... bring some chopped up veggies with a good dip (not store bought) and i guarantee it will be gone first............... people know what they should eat, but if its not in front of them, they don't think about it!!!
  • MonsteRawr
    MonsteRawr Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Maybe I'm in the minority, but my co-workers are all pretty cool about it. They still offer me food, they still ask if I want to go out to lunch with them, but if I turn them down they don't give me any crap about it. (And I work with a bunch of guys who think that Taco Bell is a food group!) I think this is partially because I don't alienate myself by constantly turning them down. If my co-worker is sitting there munching on a bag of Pretzel M&M's and offers me a couple, I'll take them, because I know that a couple M&M's isn't going to kill me or my progress. I think the thing to keep in mind is that they may be feeling just as self-conscious about what they're eating as you are. If someone offers you cake and you turn them down (especially if it's a smidge more aggressively than you intended,) they may read that as you looking down on their decision to have some.

So keep your head high, smile, and say, "Looks delicious, but no thanks." And maybe once in a while, (god forbid,) join your co-workers for a sliver!
  • RoxieFoston
    Options
    I am a heart patient at the UAB Kirkland Clinic in Birmingham, Al. I was given a list of foods to avoid to remain healthy. Processed sugar is one of the items we can eat if we don't want to live long. Their is a direct link between sugar and elevated triglicerides. Most people mean well, but are acting out of ignorance. Continue to avoid all process sugar. Congratulations on your health improvement goals.
  • RoxieFoston
    Options
    Way to go.
  • ksnurse25
    ksnurse25 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Could it be possible that they are just teasing you? Sometimes it's good to have someone ask you if you want something bad for you because every time you turn something down and make better choices, it makes you stronger. All of my co-workers are nurses and very good cooks. They realize that I am trying to lose weight and even though they bring baked goodies sometimes, they totally understand when I turn them down. I also sometimes just cut off a small bite that way I can still enjoy them, but I limit the intake. Bring veggies or fresh fruit to encourage them as well to eat a little healthier. If they don't want it, just more for you! Keep up the good work!!!!!!
  • trivico1
    Options
    They're jalous!
    Never mind what they say.
    You're doing something for YOU, taking your health seriously and improving your lifestyle.
    Maybe they feel pressured to get off their butts themselves when they see you all fit for fight and they'd rather eat cake.
  • trivico1
    Options
    I don't think they're evil haters.
    It's natural to feel a little jealous when someone show dedication to achieving a goal.
    I've felt jealous too before I started treating my body better, whenever a friend decided to cut the crap and get lean I was saying things like '' don't get obssesed'' ''don't lose too much weight'' all those things.
    And it was just because her behavior made me look at myself thinking I need to take better care of me.
    It's a scary thing to realize that you're not treating yourself well enough. It's difficult to quit the junk and get healthy so it's easier to poke fun of someone trying to do it rather than getting in on youself.

Don't listen to them
    Just laugh at it and them for their ignorance
    And if it really starts to bother you then tell them ''guys I'm doing this for me and my health because I want to be arround for a long time and not worry that I'll drop dead with a heart attack because I didn't do something soon enough''

That'll make them a little more supportive, or at least it might make them shut up and oppose in silence