Recumbent bikes and cardio and weight loss OH MY!? :/

Options
OK im lost and not making much progress ...

I currently own a Gold's Gym 390r Recumbent Bike that im trying to incorporate in the whole weight loss battle but i dont feel like im making much progress.

Trying to use the built in "weight loss program" it has and honestly, the "program" so far has been a joke. Almost no resistance and even at peddling at about 20mph i burned a lousy 103 calories and my heart rate was only at 96 and im on week 3 of 8 for the weight loss program.

I've never done any legit spinning or cycling so im really not even sure what i should be setting my bike at. Can someone clue me in on what i should be doing as far as a routine ? Im assuming if i up the resistance then i'll burn more calories since it'll be "harder" to peddle? Am i at least on the right track with that train of thought??

Im a veteran walker/treadmill nut. So the cycling is a new thing for me. I chose the recumbent bike because all the walking was making my joints hurt like hell. Figured this would give my joints a rest and my butt a workout. lol

Any info would be greatly appreciated!!!! :)

Replies

• DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    don't over think this. it's a bike. with pedals. set the resistance wherever and start pedaling. as you get better, go longer or faster or set the resistance higher.

it's a bike
  • JennW130
    JennW130 Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    i would set the resistance to make it feel like you are riding a regular bike on an open road. Your feet should not "fly" away from you. Make it feel as if you are going slightly uphill for a little more of a challenge.
  • ehimass
    ehimass Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I do the recumbent bike at the end of my workouts for 30 minutes. No, I don't burn as much as on the elliptical or treadmill, but I feel like it works different muscles and I'm currently doing 90+ minute total duration workouts, so something a little less strenuous at the end is good.

Personally I feel like I get the best workout at a resistance setting where I can do about 75 rpm continuously with occasional bursts up to 85. I use a cybex recumbent and for me, that resistance setting is 13 out of 25. The workouts burn about 350 calories in 30 minutes for me, heart rate is usually 135-145 bpm continuosly. Granted I'm a 180 pound man so my numbers will be higher. This is a lower heart rate than what I get on the elliptcal (usually get to 170 bpm toward the end of those) and the treadmill (usually 150+ continuously).
  • RonW956
    RonW956 Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    your probably not working it hard enough...
    First find your target heart rate which for women should be 226 minus your age, then multiply that by .50,
    for example if your 30 yrs old, then its 220-30= 190 then 190x.50=95, which is your target heart rate at 50% and 190x.85=161 would be for 85% . adjust the tension on the exercise bike so that your pedaling at least 60-80% of your target heart rate for at least 30 minutes min a day then you should start burning way more calories...
  • astronomicals
    astronomicals Posts: 1,537 Member
    Options
    do about 75 rpm continuously with occasional bursts up to 85.

sounds about right for RPMs. I do a bit over 100, but, I'm an avid biker. do this for 20+ minutes and make sure you;re sweating but you can still hold a conversation... That should put your heart rate about right... once you get better do more and introduce intervals or something....

so

dont pedal insanely fast
    dont gasp for air
    add time to workouts incrementally
    make sure you're sweating

thats about it
  • TanyaAD138
    TanyaAD138 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone. And so it seems I need to forget about the built in programs on this bike as they seem to be for the beyond lazy and there's no challenge and no sweat to do any of the programs. I actually found a free android app for cycling and it totally kicked my *kitten*! So I think I'm gonna try some resistance......so sweating really means you're Burning fat? Hmmmm....