Coffee, Good or Bad for weight loss?

Options

Replies

• Annette_rose
    Annette_rose Posts: 427 Member
    Options
    who cares if it's good or bad for weight loss, it's essential for survival! lol

lol ^^^this!!! I have just recently had to go on Synthroid to replace my thyroid and it is not supposed to be taken at the same time I drink my coffee. So, I will set my alarm to go off at 4 a.m. to take this pill and then when I wake up at 5, I will be ready for my coffee. I will not go without my coffee, lol.
  • sharde8691
    sharde8691 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    It can help weightloss...if you drink it without cream or sugar. I prefer to drink green tea with a lemon (no sugar) over coffee right now, only because i love my cream and sugar in my coffee
  • llearningtolive
    llearningtolive Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    It's okay in moderation. I try to drink 20 oz of water before my first cup. I drink 2 cups per day. I take a tbsp of creamo and 2 pkgs. of sweet n low in each cup to help stay within my meal plan and it works good for me.
  • PhoenixStrikes
    PhoenixStrikes Posts: 587 Member
    Options
    Coffee is fine, it's the heaps of creamer I use that adds the calories.
  • FrauHaas2013
    FrauHaas2013 Posts: 615 Member
    Options
    Black coffee is just fine -- it's the cream and sugar that ruins it for everybody (like me!) I'm actually not a huge coffee fan - but I do like my "froo froo" coffee as my husband calls it - my favorite is the Kuaii Vanilla Macadamia Nut -- but I can't seem to drink it without adding some Bailey's non-alocoholic fat-free vanilla creamer and about 6 sugars. YIKES! So I gave it up.

Until my husband introduced me to my new favorite dessert that I enjoy a couple times a month -- affogato. YUMMY! It's basically some kind of frozen yogurt (I use the non-fat, no-sugar added Greek frozen kind) with a double-shot of espresso poured over it.
  • ElliottTN
    ElliottTN Posts: 1,614 Member
    Options
    Caffeine is a great workout supplement. Can be even better if you stack it with some other things to help with weight loss. This does not apply to your Starbucks double frap with whip cream though.
  • sepulchura
    sepulchura Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Uninformed handling of coffee can be bad. Quick answer, be sensible and it's not an issue. In my experience, I think pitfalls of coffee to avoid are: 1) ultra high calorie and sugary "coffee" drinks that are really coffee flavored desserts. 2) adding half and half adds calories and fat, and people often kid themselves that the quarter cup of half and half was really a tablespoon, and that the tablespoon of honey was really a teaspoon, in other words, be honest about what you add to your coffee and keep track, and c) lack of sleep is an enemy for weight loss, so just don't drink coffee in a way that makes you suffer from loss of sleep.

Enjoy the java, I do twice a day and I simply use 4 tablespoons of 2% milk and log the calories, no big deal as long as I log it and know I'm consuming the calories.
  • MizSookeh
    MizSookeh Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    I believe it works as an appetite suppressant. I tend to be hungrier later in the day, and prefer to use the bulk of my calories for lunch, afternoon snack, dinner, sometimes even an after dinner snack.
    So I eat a good breakfast at home, then a black coffee (no sugar) when I get to work, and don't need to eat lunch until around 2pm.
    I drink plenty of water as well, but it's nice to have something warm, makes me feel satisfied and full.
  • littlelaura
    littlelaura Posts: 1,028 Member
    Options
    neither, its all in what you add to your coffee that has calories.
  • jonsey_s
    jonsey_s Posts: 222
    Options
    Good for you if you have it black no sweetener. :happy: :happy:

Caffeine does aid fat loss but only slightly.
  • ingoiolo
    ingoiolo Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    I have 4 single espressos a day. Could not survive without
  • willdob3
    willdob3 Posts: 640 Member
    Options
    I cut coffee for a full year. Did not even have decaf. It made absolutely no difference in anything.

I researched and, based on the many benefits of coffee in moderation, I added it back in. I never looked back & enjoy my coffee almost every day.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    So basically: is coffee good or bad for weight loss? I've been exhausted and never drink, but I'm having a cup today. I heard rumors it would help, I've heard it makes you gain. Help!

Neither good nor bad. I make a homemade mocha each morning with decaf, but only because caffeine and I have severed our friendship (very caffeine sensitive).
  • arghbowl
    arghbowl Posts: 1,179 Member
    Options
    Coffee is needed for basic survival. Fact.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    If you're drinking coffee to stay awake, then it's a negative, because lack of sleep has all kinds of negative effects on internal body chemistry.
  • annekka
    annekka Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    I found that it never worked for me in suppressing the appetite, but that's me. I had to go cold turkey on doctor's orders. Now-a-days a coffee with foamed soy milk is a treat. Will indulge in the green tea, though, not the same amount of caffeine as coffee but 0 cal.
  • bwogilvie
    bwogilvie Posts: 2,130 Member
    Options
    Black coffee has very few calories and very little effect on weight loss, in my experience. I take mine with a little milk, which I record in my log. I drink it because I enjoy it; I do find it possible to ride 14 miles on my bike to a coffee shop in the morning, have a cup of coffee with milk, then ride 14 miles home before showering and having breakfast, but I don't think the coffee is essential in that; it's just a nice goal for the ride.

Coffee drinks like cappuccino, lattes, frappés, etc. are another matter; they can have hundreds of calories and can sink your diet unless you account for the calories.
  • Flabulousss
    Options
    I do intermittent fasting now and then and I definitely couldn't survive without caffeine. It kills my appetite for several hours. However I always drink it black. Black tea is even better though. :p If you brew tea properly, it needs no sweeteners... However I really like bitter tea and burnt coffee!
  • wwunderlust
    Options
    no coffee, no glory! *twitch*
  • Code7526
    Options
    Drink four to five cups of black coffee a day with no milk and no sugar. Coffee speeds up your metabolism and combined with exercise will help you loose weight. Black coffee with no milk or sugar is not high in calories at all.

A cup of black coffee before exercise is good for you as it makes you exercise harder and burn more calories and they say a cup of black coffee after exercise helps with muscle recovery.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-2352237/Drinking-4-cups-tea-coffee-day-BETTER-drinking-all.html