Personal Trainer, Goals and heavy lifting

Options
I decided that I wanted to do some kind of lifting routine (SL 5X5/barbell) to gain strength and lose body fat. I stuggled initially with form but muddled through for a while. I then decided to get a personal trainier who can help with my technique. One of the guys at my gym put me in contact with one of the female PT's who is a machine. She competes in lifting competions has the body that I want. She is also a crossfit coach. I have no doubt that she knows her stuff and I am happy to keep training with her for the forseeable future.

My only issue is... our first meeting she asked me what my goals were and I said to gain strength, learn to lift properly, to lose weight, change my diet etc etc. To begin with she showed me technique on squats, deadlifts, benchpress, shoulder press and the clean after a while, once I had my technique down she came up with some HIIT routines for me to do.. These are based around cardio. When I questioned why I was doing this when I wanted to do something like SL 5X5 she said I wasnt ready to do that yet and that it was easier to lose the 10llb and then start on gaining strength and that you cant do both. At the moment for example I squat with just the barbell and do loads of reps.

I hate cardio. With a passion. I can't seem to stick to what she suggest I do outside of my PT sessions because its not what I want to focus on.

The way I see it is losing the weight is going to be a by product of sorting my diet out and lifting heavy.

I dont like focusing on the scales because it drives me crazy. I want to set goals such as "perfect my technique on the power clean" and add "20llb to my deadlift after 6 sessions" not "Drop 5llb by christmas"

I am paying a lot of money to see her, £30 per hour and I value the advise so far but now I need to change the goal. Its no longer working for me.

Does this make sense? or perhaps I should trust what she says and do it her way?

Replies

• castadiva
    castadiva Posts: 2,016 Member
    Options
    It sounds like you need to tell her that weight loss is not your primary goal, and that you dislike cardio intensely, so are finding it hard to stick to her suggestions. Be up front, and direct - DO NOT BE BRITISH-POLITE/RETICENT/SELF-EFFACING!! You are paying her, so you need to be getting the benefit.

You may not be ready for SL 5x5, whatever that is, but I'm sure there are other strength-focused exercises you could be doing. I've also never heard the 'you can't lose weight and gain strength at the same time' line. You can't bulk and lose weight simultaneously, but you certainly can become stronger/develop muscle tone whilst losing weight. That said, some cardio probably is necessary/beneficial, and HIIT is a good thing, in general - at least your cardio will be short, if you're doing it that way, and effective!
  • jmayerovitch
    jmayerovitch Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    It sounds like she's not working with you on what your goals are. I'm surprised. Most CrossFit coaches will advocate building strength as much as the high rep interval training. If you go to a CrossFit box you do strength before the WOD. But you could still use her for the cardio side and do a lifting program on your own. I would recommend Starting Strength over SL 5x5 for starting out. You'll make gains much faster. 5x5 assumes you're already lifting at the limit of your strength, so it's slower.
  • LJSmith1989
    Options
    It sounds like she's not working with you on what your goals are. I'm surprised. Most CrossFit coaches will advocate building strength as much as the high rep interval training. If you go to a CrossFit box you do strength before the WOD. But you could still use her for the cardio side and do a lifting program on your own. I would recommend Starting Strength over SL 5x5 for starting out. You'll make gains much faster. 5x5 assumes you're already lifting at the limit of your strength, so it's slower.

I think its me needing to to tell her my goals. I'm not slating her at all & that is generally her way of thinking. Its just not what I want to do
  • HelloDan
    HelloDan Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    I PM'd you, as your description sounds spookily like a trainer I know personally. If it is, she is very good at what she does, and actually competes herself at a high level, so she knows what she is doing.

I think you're on the right track, and you just need to make your goals clear, just keep in mind, sometimes to achieve your goals, you have to do stuff you don't like.
    In general, people tend to focus on our strengths and never address our weaknesses, because this is less fun, but removing weaknesses is essential.
  • sarahrbraun
    sarahrbraun Posts: 2,261 Member
    Options
    I decided that I wanted to do some kind of lifting routine (SL 5X5/barbell) to gain strength and lose body fat. I stuggled initially with form but muddled through for a while. I then decided to get a personal trainier who can help with my technique. One of the guys at my gym put me in contact with one of the female PT's who is a machine. She competes in lifting competions has the body that I want. She is also a crossfit coach. I have no doubt that she knows her stuff and I am happy to keep training with her for the forseeable future.

My only issue is... our first meeting she asked me what my goals were and I said to gain strength, learn to lift properly, to lose weight, change my diet etc etc. To begin with she showed me technique on squats, deadlifts, benchpress, shoulder press and the clean after a while, once I had my technique down she came up with some HIIT routines for me to do.. These are based around cardio. When I questioned why I was doing this when I wanted to do something like SL 5X5 she said I wasnt ready to do that yet and that it was easier to lose the 10llb and then start on gaining strength and that you cant do both. At the moment for example I squat with just the barbell and do loads of reps.

I hate cardio. With a passion. I can't seem to stick to what she suggest I do outside of my PT sessions because its not what I want to focus on.

The way I see it is losing the weight is going to be a by product of sorting my diet out and lifting heavy.

I dont like focusing on the scales because it drives me crazy. I want to set goals such as "perfect my technique on the power clean" and add "20llb to my deadlift after 6 sessions" not "Drop 5llb by christmas"

I am paying a lot of money to see her, £30 per hour and I value the advise so far but now I need to change the goal. Its no longer working for me.

Does this make sense? or perhaps I should trust what she says and do it her way?

I have 2 thoughts on this:

1) my trainers ( I've had 2 this year) seem to love pushing me to do things I don't like to do. I hate it, I hate them ( for that hour), but I know they have my best interests at heart. Maybe try things her way for 4-6 weeks and see what happens? If you REALLY aren't feeling it, tell her.

2) if you really hate cardio that bad, tell her. Tell her that the last 10lbs isnt really THAT important, and you would rather work on strength. My trainers know I still have 45lbs to lose, but that I want to be STRONG, and they write my routines based on that. I also know that I need the cardio for other reasons, but I have cut that down to 2x per week.
  • CherylP67
    CherylP67 Posts: 772 Member
    Options
    I started seeing a trainer to teach me proper technique on lifts.

I haven't formally started Stronglifts yet, but I am adding weight to the barbell on barbell rows, deadlifts, and bench press. I've started squatting with an empty dumbbell and working on technique for the OHP.

Initially I was a bit frustrated because I know what I wanted to do and I had to do what she outlined. She was aware of my goals, but I had to trust her that we would get to them. I thought I would work with her a few times, learn my lifts, and go out on my own I to lifting nirvana. I've now realized that she's an excellent trainer and she's going to make sure that I've got stability, core strength and balance so I don't injure myself. I didn't realize that my left arm/shoulder is weaker from an injury I got 15 years ago. She noticed when I was working on bench press form lifting a PVC pipe that my right arm was taking over and has since worked with me on equalizing strength in both arms so my form is correct.

I guess my point is that as long as you've clearly stated your goals and you know your trainer is excellent, you may just need to trust them. Maybe ask her what her goal for you is and does she have a timeline.
  • LJSmith1989
    Options
    I started seeing a trainer to teach me proper technique on lifts.

I haven't formally started Stronglifts yet, but I am adding weight to the barbell on barbell rows, deadlifts, and bench press. I've started squatting with an empty dumbbell and working on technique for the OHP.

Initially I was a bit frustrated because I know what I wanted to do and I had to do what she outlined. She was aware of my goals, but I had to trust her that we would get to them. I thought I would work with her a few times, learn my lifts, and go out on my own I to lifting nirvana. I've now realized that she's an excellent trainer and she's going to make sure that I've got stability, core strength and balance so I don't injure myself. I didn't realize that my left arm/shoulder is weaker from an injury I got 15 years ago. She noticed when I was working on bench press form lifting a PVC pipe that my right arm was taking over and has since worked with me on equalizing strength in both arms so my form is correct.

I guess my point is that as long as you've clearly stated your goals and you know your trainer is excellent, you may just need to trust them. Maybe ask her what her goal for you is and does she have a timeline.

Hmm I see your point. Thanks for the reply. I think though with the money im paying it needs to ultimately fall in line with what Im happy with.. does that make sense?
  • HelloDan
    HelloDan Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    Hmm I see your point. Thanks for the reply. I think though with the money im paying it needs to ultimately fall in line with what Im happy with.. does that make sense?

Yes and No.

You want to be happy with what you're getting, but you're paying for her expertise. If you tell her your goal, and she works out the best way to achieve that goal, and it works, you should be happy that you're getting your moneys worth.

Otherwise if you already know how to achieve your goal, then go ahead and do it without spending money on a trainer, otherwise you'll just be paying her to tell you what you want to hear.

Either of those options are fine, but paying a trainer and then not agreeing with or following the advice they give is wasting everyone's time.
  • wilmnoca
    wilmnoca Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    If you just want to lift, tell her that's ALL you need her for. But get used to the extra weight you have because its not going anywhere.
  • LJSmith1989
    Options
    If you just want to lift, tell her that's ALL you need her for. But get used to the extra weight you have because its not going anywhere.

How do you work that one out? 80% of losing weight is diet alone.
  • LJSmith1989
    Options

Yes and No.

You want to be happy with what you're getting, but you're paying for her expertise. If you tell her your goal, and she works out the best way to achieve that goal, and it works, you should be happy that you're getting your moneys worth.

Otherwise if you already know how to achieve your goal, then go ahead and do it without spending money on a trainer, otherwise you'll just be paying her to tell you what you want to hear.

Either of those options are fine, but paying a trainer and then not agreeing with or following the advice they give is wasting everyone's time.

Thanks - I think its just a case of me rethinking/deciding what is more important
  • ilovedeadlifts
    ilovedeadlifts Posts: 2,923 Member
    Options
    Each personal trainer is going to have their "idea" of how to get you results.
    I can understand if she has a different approach to getting you strong, but for her to completely disregard your goals and implement a program geared around something else just seems silly.

Consider working with an online coach, they're a lot more affordable, and you can still get some great help.
    If you're looking to just get stronger or start powerlifting, I'd reccommend Clint Darden, Mike T, or Wade Johnson. I have friends who have worked with these guys and done really well. You get a program that's actually designed to get you stronger, get routine feedback and form help, etc.
    And you're probably paying in the area of 100 dollars (duno what that is in pounds, maybe around 70?) per month. As opposed to 30 pounds an hour.

Also I'm pretty sure ChrisDavey on here does some personal training and programming. You might want to consider speaking with him.
  • LJSmith1989
    Options
    Each personal trainer is going to have their "idea" of how to get you results.
    I can understand if she has a different approach to getting you strong, but for her to completely disregard your goals and implement a program geared around something else just seems silly.

Consider working with an online coach, they're a lot more affordable, and you can still get some great help.
    If you're looking to just get stronger or start powerlifting, I'd reccommend Clint Darden, Mike T, or Wade Johnson. I have friends who have worked with these guys and done really well. You get a program that's actually designed to get you stronger, get routine feedback and form help, etc.
    And you're probably paying in the area of 100 dollars (duno what that is in pounds, maybe around 70?) per month. As opposed to 30 pounds an hour.

Also I'm pretty sure ChrisDavey on here does some personal training and programming. You might want to consider speaking with him.

Oh no, Im not slating her. I will definatley stick with her. Thanks
  • ilovedeadlifts
    ilovedeadlifts Posts: 2,923 Member
    Options

Oh no, Im not slating her. I will definatley stick with her. Thanks

My bad.
    Maybe just voice your concerns with her again. I'm sure she has a plan for you, but it may not be the most direct one, and may be based more so on what she likes to do.
    I have a friend who has been approached by a crossfit coach at his gym, and this guy is constantly telling him 5x5 and 5/3/1 are bad programs, purely because he wants to sell him crossfit sessions.

best of luck
  • _noob_
    _noob_ Posts: 3,306 Member
    Options

How you figure? I lost 80 lbs doing nothing but lifting...

Losing weight is DIET...
  • Mia_RagazzaTosta
    Mia_RagazzaTosta Posts: 4,885 Member
    Options

Interesting.

I've lost almost 10 pounds with heavy lifting, diet, and almost zero cardio.
  • FattieBabs
    FattieBabs Posts: 542 Member
    Options
    I had a similar issue with my trainer so she compromised. Hitt plus bodyweight training and then, after 6 sessions, we progressed to lifting. Like a previous poster mentioned, my trainer also discovered some weakness on one side and worked to address this. I am now enjoying a combination of concentrated cardio that I can get done in 30 mins or less plus progressive weight training. The weight loss is slow but I am changing shape and delighted with the results to date.

I pay for 2 sessions and get a third free so it works out at £20 per hour session which I think is good. I also have a session once very 2-3 weeks so that I can work on what she has set me for a bit.... Otherwise I get confused with information overload!
  • CoachDreesTraining
    CoachDreesTraining Posts: 223 Member
    Options

"She is also a crossfit coach."

There is your answer right there.
  • castadiva
    castadiva Posts: 2,016 Member
    Options

I pay for 2 sessions and get a third free so it works out at £20 per hour session which I think is good. I also have a session once very 2-3 weeks so that I can work on what she has set me for a bit.... Otherwise I get confused with information overload!

Now that sounds like a more manageable approach - I had to give up PT sessions when I moved house and had to pay more rent. Would you mind telling me who you use, and where they're based?
  • Barbonica
    Barbonica Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    It is important for you and your trainer to have a strong relationship so you can work together on your goals. It sounds like she is not completely on board with your primary goal (strength). She might be a great trainer but not the right fit for you. It might be worth your time and money to try someone else just to make sure. As you said, it is a lot of money, and there really isn't a down side to trying someone else to make sure you are getting what you want.