Couch to 5k running tips

Options
Have got to the point where my HR is barely going above 100bpm very fast walking so I want to move upto the next level, running. My problem is that I feel so uncomfortable running & I just dont feel relaxed & cant get my breathing right then hit hard on the floor so am not enjoying it at all.

The couch to 5k involves 1 min run then 1 min walk for 30 mins in week one then this increases over 9 weeks at which point I should be able to run 30 mins constant. After today I cant see that happening unless I get my running style sorted out along with the breathing so any tips would be welcome, my HR while running goes upto about 150bpm then returns to 90 odd while walking if I run slower it just feels wierd so where do I want my HR to be given I am just used to fast walking for the past year.

Thanks

Replies

• SailorKnightWing
    SailorKnightWing Posts: 875 Member
    Options
    Bump, because I just started week 2 and my ankles are killing me. I want to learn, too!

Also, when does the water retention go away? I know I didn't eat 14,000 calories in three days to gain 4lbs of fat.
  • Stage14
    Stage14 Posts: 1,046 Member
    Options
    Check out runnersworld.com. They have tons of articles for beginning runners that were really helpful to me. How hard are you pushing yourself? How fast are you running? You may need to slow down at first. I know that was my biggest problem when I first started c25k, I was trying to run too fast.
  • Catlady87
    Catlady87 Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    The running bug is a great website too.
    As someone who has graduated from c25k I can say that if you do follow the app you will be able to do it. Don't focus on the end result at the start. Focus on what you have to do today, then what you have to do the next day. Don't look too far in advance cos you will just freak yourself out.
    Just go and do it and you'll be surprised at how well you start advancing.
    Also, check your speed. You don't have to "run" fast. As long as you are moving you're fine. I've run at barely above a walking speed during a 5K bit it's forward momentum so it all counts.
  • beatpig
    beatpig Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    The C25K is a training plan for starting out and getting your body used to exercise.

I would strongly suggest getting a feel for using the HRM but not worry too much about it in the main.

Follow the C25K plan, take your HR daily, morning and evening. Find your base line. If your HR increases by more than 5bpm it might be a sign you're over doing it - take a step back.

Once you are comfortably running 5k, then start looking at your HRM for training with. If you move up to the 10k plan, stick to that and use the HRM afterwards.

Not sure about water retention - sorry. But start using Strava for your runs, one of the best and addictive apps to use!!!

Good Luck!!!
  • sylnova
    sylnova Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    I just finished my second session for week 2 and I feel pretty much the same. My heart rate got up to 172 bpm, while on monday I ran session 1 on the treadmill and I barely got to 150 bpm and I was feeling great. I think I run too fast on the road, while on the treadmill I set speed to 7.5 km/h and that works fine. I feel it is slower than I run outdoors, but I can't figure out how to slow down enough not to run out of breath.