Not eating enough?

Options
I am told that I should be eating 2130 calories a day. I am finding this difficult to do. I eat three nice healthy meals and I am not anywhere near this. I don't want to eat higher calorie meals that will push my carb intake any higher than it already is. Should I snack on healthy things throughout the day or try to keep around the 1200 or so that I have been. Yesterday I netted 800 calories and I am worried that if this continues it will hinder my weight loss.

Replies

• ericanmcknight
    ericanmcknight Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Try to eat 5-6 meals a day... i rarely meet my calorie goals but i do try. Maybe snacking on a protein bar or rice cake with almond butter would help. You don't want to lose muscle. I love p28 bagels.. their almond butter (or peanut butter).. i also love Nuts 'N more almond butter. Get those Cals! :)
  • BradGarner85
    BradGarner85 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Thanks I will give it a try
  • PRMinx
    PRMinx Posts: 4,585 Member
    Options
    I'm confused. You are supposed to eat 2130, but you are shooting for 1200 and sometimes, like yesterday, you only netted 800?

Is that right?
  • Onesnap
    Onesnap Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    If you are an active person you need to reach your MFP goals not fall below them.

Why?

Well because if you want to keep the weight off long term you have to fuel the machine. It's the same concept that weight watchers operates with (activity points, eating back your exercise calories).

I'm 5'6" and 148 lbs. I cannot even imagine getting through a healthy active day with only 800 NET.
  • trogalicious
    trogalicious Posts: 4,583 Member
    Options
    Stop eating diet foods. you'll hit that number. If it's telling you to eat 2130, eat 2130. That much of a deficit isn't going to do you any favors.
  • BradGarner85
    Options
    My goal is 2130. I haven't been able to get anywhere near this. I have been averaging around 1200-1500 a day. After exercise I net around 700-1000 calories. I am finding it very difficult to maintain that high of a calorie intake without eating junk. Sometimes I wonder if I should even bother trying to reach 2130 or if the 1200-1500 is sufficient. I have a lot of weight to lose and I want to do it as healthy as possible.
  • TwoPointZero
    TwoPointZero Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    Agreed. I eat "snacks" in between my meals, which often consist of things like beef jerky, assorted nuts, fresh fruit, carrots and hummus, a little cheese with some crackers, and Greek yogurt. That is, the foods are frequently kind of "snacky", but generally pretty healthy, and each snack is in the range 300-500 cals.

Definitely try to get the extra cals. Eating only 50-60% of your TDEE will eventually mess you up . . .
  • trogalicious
    Options
    My goal is 2130. I haven't been able to get anywhere near this. I have been averaging around 1200-1500 a day. After exercise I net around 700-1000 calories. I am finding it very difficult to maintain that high of a calorie intake without eating junk. Sometimes I wonder if I should even bother trying to reach 2130 or if the 1200-1500 is sufficient. I have a lot of weight to lose and I want to do it as healthy as possible.
    Beef, cheese, potatoes, ice cream, chicken, full fat dairy, butter, fish, almonds (170 calories or so for 1/4 cup)... etc.

Again, if you stop eating "diet" foods, you'll be able to hit your goal.

I'm telling ya, you need those calories. You're not netting enough.
  • BradGarner85
    Options
    Then what do you suggest. I am not eating diet foods per say, only healthy foods. Other than the occasional splurge. I try to keep a low carb count due to type 2 diabetes. I try to eat lean meats that are high in protein and vegetables that are as well. I stay away from fat foods and all soda. I eat until I am content. I am just having a very hard time understanding how I should double my intake to lose weight it goes against everything I have been taught. I am not trying to argue with anyone I am just new to this healthy lifestyle and am looking for advice from people who have done this for awhile
  • PRMinx
    Options

Ok. Thank you for the clarification.

I don't advocate eating just to eat, but I will say that if you are that far off of your goal, you should maybe be eating different foods. It doesn't have to be junk. Peanut butter, avocado, nuts, salmon, oatmeal and protein powders are all healthy examples of higher calorie foods. Incorporate them into your diet and you will hit 1500 easy. Netting 700-1000 calories just doesn't make sense. I'm on a 1300 calorie goal diet, but I work out quite a bit and eat back most of those calories. If I netted 700-1000, I wouldn't have the strength to work out successfully. Also, it will catch up to you and you will binge.
  • BradGarner85
    Options
    I will try thanks
  • Onesnap
    Options

Here's what I've always done and it helps me to stay a healthy weight:

(using a workday as an example)

9am- oatmeal
    11am- healthy snack (usually 100-200 calories)
    12pm- lunch
    3pm- another snack (yogurt typically 150-200 calories)
    6pm- pre gym snack (nuts, cheese or fruit)
    8:30pm- dinner post gym (homemade)
    10pm- small snack like a cookie if there's calories left in the day

Total calories taken in 1700-1800, workout logged to NET 1300-1400.

Obviously as you can see I eat every few hours and I'm never hungry. I always log my workouts and eat back my exercise cals.
  • shopwithkoupons
    Options
    800 calories is not enough. If you have alot of weight to lose. I think 1200-1500 calories is sufficient if you are exercising. I know some people eat their exercise calories back, but I do not. I eat 1200-1600 calories a day and burn 500-800 calories a day. If you think about it, it's like only eating 700-900 calories, but I am still eating healthy snacks, such as (steammed veggies, sugar, brown rice (instead of white rice), sweet potato (baked, with no butter or white sugar), use brown sugar if you need it sweeter then what it is. Fill up on veggies! It will help specifically broccoli, cauliflower, and carrots. Or make a vegetable or fruit smoothie with super foods such as:

1 banana
    1/2 cup kale or spinach
    1/2 cup coconut milk

Blend together and drink.
  • trogalicious
    Options
    Then what do you suggest. I am not eating diet foods per say, only healthy foods. Other than the occasional splurge. I try to keep a low carb count due to type 2 diabetes. I try to eat lean meats that are high in protein and vegetables that are as well. I stay away from fat foods and all soda. I eat until I am content. I am just having a very hard time understanding how I should double my intake to lose weight it goes against everything I have been taught. I am not trying to argue with anyone I am just new to this healthy lifestyle and am looking for advice from people who have done this for awhile

I've done this for a while. You need fat in a diet. If you don't plan on eating this way for the rest of your lift, don't restrict yourself now. Trust me, when I first started.. the mindset was "want to lose more? eat less!" and I hate myself for what it's done to my metabolism now for netting what YOU are doing right now.

I know it's hard to wrap the mind around the concept, but since you're new to this.. it's expected. You need to FUEL your body, right? Gotta have gas in your tank to make the car go. If you're netting that little, dude, you're running on fumes.

Here's a huge wall of text to help, since you're saying that this whole thing is new to ya.

So here. I put this together a while back. It seems to have helped some folks. It worked for me and tons of others.

1. don't trust the initial setup that MFP provides. If you put in the wrong/inaccurate information, it'll tell you to eat an amount that may not be applicable.
    2. Make sure you eat enough.
    3. Figure out what works for you and is sustainable/healthy/long term.
    4. avoid fads. don't buy in to any "Hey, try the twinkie and vodka diet"
    5. Don't cut out anything now that you don't plan on literally giving up forever.
    6. GET A FOOD SCALE. Weigh everything. No, seriously.
    7. Get an HRM with a chest strap. You'll at least have a better idea of what you're burning. It'll be more accurate than the generic info in the exercise database.. and even more than the cardio machines. This is great for steady state cardio (run/walk/etc)
    8. Don't go balls out. You'll burn out. I see 300 lb people show up here, instantly start working out and cutting their intake SEVERELY... trying to cut out all of their carbs at once.. whatever. Take it slow. Figure out how much you need to eat FIRST in order to lose.. then incorporate exercise.
    9. Don't cardio yourself to death.
    10. Take the information on the forums with a grain of salt. A lot of people that have been here for a while.. and have been successful, may seem jaded. They give out GREAT advice day after day, only to be met with people that refuse to listen.
    11. Eat real food. Not diet food. Not "low fat, sugar free, now without X." It's easier to get/find/count.
    12. don't set time restrictions.
    13. measure yourself weekly. Don't just weigh. Measure and take pictures.
    14 BE PATIENT.
    15. Avoid forum topics that have "1200" in the title. It's just full of butthurt. Lots of it.
    16. This isn't a game, it's about changing your lifestyle. Do that.

pretty much that.

...and don't fall into the "1200 calorie" vertigo of suck because of:

the typical MFP users does this:
    1. I wanna lose weight, let's try MFP.
    2. OH! Wow, it tells me I can lose 2 lbs a WEEK? AWESOME!
    3. I just sit at a desk when I'm not working out, I guess I'm sedentary.
    4. MFP tells them 1200 calories, and they don't even eat that.. then they work out on top of it.. creating an even bigger deficit.
    5. Lose a lot, fast, brag about 1200 calorie success.
    6. Come back in a few months trying to figure out why they're dizzy, tired, not losing weight.
    7. Get on the forums, ask why they aren't losing.
    8. Get two responses (I eat 1200 and lose) (I eat 2200 and lose)
    9. Argument ensues about who is right.

Now. That being said. These threads happen hundreds of times per day. Most times, and I mean really.. seriously.. 95% of the time.. people get the 1200 number because they don't put the right information in when they set up the account. There are a great number of people that are trying to help. I'm one of 'em.

I'm a hardcore advocate of actually finding out what works for the individual.. by means of other calculators, averages, time, practice, and patience.

Blanket prescriptions of 1200 calories "because it worked for me" is more harmful to the generic new user than the "figure out what you need to eat." Unfortunately, one is a LOT easier to type.

Find out what you need: http://scoobysworkshop.com/accurate-calorie-calculator/
    Take the tips, links, and info above and make the cart more manageable to stay on.
  • TwoPointZero
    TwoPointZero Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    I was also doubtful that eating enough was really necessary . . . Indeed, when I first started changing my eating, I wasn't really paying attention to my eating, and let my cals get _way_ too low. It was ok at first, but after a week or two, I started getting tired and cranky, and my progress slowed. Once I started eating enough, I started losing weight again.

Look, ostensibly you have 40-50 years to live. Doing a one month experiment now could have a big payoff. Really put the effort into it for a month or so, and see what happens . . .
  • Onesnap
    Options

I don't think the 1200-1500 is a good idea for you unless under the guidance of a doctor.

I'm 1200 to lose 1lb/week
    1400 to lose .5
    1600 to maintain

I always take in wayyyy more than 1200-1500 on days that I workout and I'm only 148 lbs and 5'6"
  • cindyellis9404
    cindyellis9404 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Okay, I have a similar question. What if you aren't hungry, I am struggling to eat all this food. I used to be a heavy eater now I drink protien and eat mostly meat protiens and veggies along with fruit. I feel great and the scale is moving downward??
  • PRMinx
    Options

Here's what I've always done and it helps me to stay a healthy weight:

(using a workday as an example)

9am- oatmeal
    11am- healthy snack (usually 100-200 calories)
    12pm- lunch
    3pm- another snack (yogurt typically 150-200 calories)
    6pm- pre gym snack (nuts, cheese or fruit)
    8:30pm- dinner post gym (homemade)
    10pm- small snack like a cookie if there's calories left in the day

Total calories taken in 1700-1800, workout logged to NET 1300-1400.

Obviously as you can see I eat every few hours and I'm never hungry. I always log my workouts and eat back my exercise cals.

Nice!

As an example to the OP, here was my day yesterday. I netted about 1200. Honestly, I wish I had a little more because my workout today sucked.

Breakfast
    Banana Nut Quest Bar
    2 Hard boiled eggs

Lunch
    Kale, cabbage and carrot salad with thai peanut dressing and roast chicken

Dinner
    Half acorn squash with (half tbsp) butter and brown sugar
    Steamed cod with a butter and lemon (half tbsp)

Snacks
    1.5 servings of non fat greek yogurt with 2 1/2 tbsp of chocolate chips
    Apple
    Popcorn

Goal: 1300 Food: 1910 Exercise: 713 Net: 1197
  • teesfood
    Options
    I too have had this conundrum. My brother (smart @ss physical therapist that he is) gave me some tips about breaking down meals. He told me to eat 6-7 times a day now, but not like a full meal. Here's what he gave me for my current schedule (this may vary for you but you get the idea!)

5:30am have a banana for pre-workout (will now be incorporating shakes!) 7:00am - an egg or 2 with some fruit after the workout (try putting some veggies in your eggs for veggie boost!); 8:30am- oatmeal (they say reg is better but I do apples n cinnamon); 10:30am - a couple of saltines, low/non fat cheese and an apple; 11:30 or 12 - lunchtime salad with tuna or some kind of protein; 2pm - yogurt or natural nuts; 4pm - carrots and peanut butter (NOT my fav!); 6pm - pre workout shake; 8pm - tilapia and broccoli w potato.

Not sure if you like all that but just a picture for ya! I feel much better when I eat MORE =) Best of luck on your journey!
  • Onesnap
    Options
    800 calories is not enough. If you have alot of weight to lose. I think 1200-1500 calories is sufficient if you are exercising. I know some people eat their exercise calories back, but I do not. I eat 1200-1600 calories a day and burn 500-800 calories a day. If you think about it, it's like only eating 700-900 calories, but I am still eating healthy snacks, such as (steammed veggies, sugar, brown rice (instead of white rice), sweet potato (baked, with no butter or white sugar), use brown sugar if you need it sweeter then what it is. Fill up on veggies! It will help specifically broccoli, cauliflower, and carrots. Or make a vegetable or fruit smoothie with super foods such as:

1 banana
    1/2 cup kale or spinach
    1/2 cup coconut milk

Blend together and drink.

I'm a very healthy eater and always have been. You just have to remember that everyone is different. I could never survive off of NET 700-900 calories but if someone is really petite it could work. The idea is to lose the weight and keep it off. You will initially lose with a huge deficit like that but it's not sustainable long term.