Why Wont this weight go away.

Options
Hi everyone,

I know I have posted related topics but I need more motivational boosts.

I started couch to 5k few weeks back. but i wasn't following to their plan. I was running more than they had panned out. But it didn't seem a problem to me because I am not out of shape, but never been a runner. Anyways. I lost just a few pounds from running, but of course that has stopped very quickly. I am so ready to give up. I have tried straight cardio day after day, I did the sandbag, I did the kettlebell, I don't eat more that 1200 calories. And I can't shed more than 5 lbs. I did few years back when I was 19. But now I am 23, still young. Still just as active, maybe eating healthier. And I can't lose weight. No its not a medical issue.

Do I not eat enough? Not enough water? Because I do NOT drink much.
too much exercise? Lol if possible.
Not enough protein?

What can I realllly do to help this out. The last I weighed was 130. It was at 128, then back to 130. Never stays the same. EVER. I'll eat a banana and the scale will go up.

All I want, its to go back to 115-120 lbs. pref. 115. but thats a stretch. I know its possible. Because I did it before. I am a smidge taller than 5'3. So 115 is NOT that bad for my type of body.

Diet wise. I eat breakfast. I eat veggies. I eat fruit. I even juice at times. I watch my sugar. Yes I do drink beer. But i absolutely fit it in with my calories. And at the end of the day I always have like a couple hundred calories on workout days. Even on non workout days.

Please some helpful advice would be great.

Thanks!

Replies

• KristinNicole82
    KristinNicole82 Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    Stop doing so much cardio and switch to lifting. You can keep your heart rate up and build muscle at the same time. Also increase your protein, I do at least my body weight in grams per day.
  • FrankiesSaysRelax
    FrankiesSaysRelax Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    Open your diary so we can take a look. Also, when you don't have much to lose (like 15-20 lbs) it can be difficult. My weight loss was the same way. 140 to 138 to 139.6 to 137.8.. but even as i bounced around the lowest number every few weeks would go a bit lower. Eventually, I got where I needed to be.

I would consider calculating your TDEE and eating 15 to 20% less than that. If you're as active as you say, there is no need for you to be eating that low.
  • joannlim965
    Options
    Hi! I think we are the same! I do NOT drink water and hate it.

So I'm weighing 130 lbs and exercising 3-4 times a week, weight hasn't gone down abit. And even increase a little!

I'm aiming at like 120 lbs so got me thinking whether it was because I'm not drinking enough water.

But I feel so bloated when I drink too much.. ;(
  • franticfoxx
    franticfoxx Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Right there with you lol. I don't even get thirsty lol.
    Just feel like whatever I do , nothing works accurately. haha
  • HotSouthernMess
    HotSouthernMess Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    For someone like you with not much to lose and already relatively healthy and in shape, you probably need to increase your calories. It is calories in and calories out. It sounds crazy but you eat more like 1400 a day of healthy foods you will probably start losing again. And as much as you don't like water, your body needs it. And beer dehydrates you, so even though it fits into your diary, it can be hurting you if you aren't drinking enough water. Try putting some frozen fruit in your water. It will flavor it and keep your water cold. Just count the fruit into your diary and might also help get in some more calores. 2 birds, 1 stone!

Congrats on what you have lost so far...you look great!
  • SkinnyFatAlbert
    SkinnyFatAlbert Posts: 482 Member
    Options
    I'll eat a banana and the scale will go up.

Math lesson. You see the banana has weight so when you eat it, that is ADD it to your stomach...
  • Idka81
    Idka81 Posts: 42
    Options
    You have to eat according to your needs. How did you come up with 1200 calories? That's way too little for an active young woman. If all you do is cardio, and starve yourself (not intake enough calories to keep your body functioning efficiently) - you will not loose weight. Look at it as the equivalent of being a hamster in a wheel. I was stuck in this cycle for almost two years, before I realized that I was going nowhere. You need to set a goal, calculate what your BMR is with your activity level and what you need to maintain your current weight. Then reduce that 5-15% and eat well balanced meals of carbs/proteins/fats. Start lifting weights to make your body more efficient. Straight cardio will keep you at the same weight, but your body fat % is either going to stay the same, or you'll slowly gain more, especially if you're eating some arbitrary number of calories with no rhyme or reason.
  • franticfoxx
    Options
    Thank you very much, I will look into that. Adding some calories would be nice lol. 1200 seems so low.
  • franticfoxx
    Options
    why thank you SkinnyFatAlbe. you have taught me well.
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    Thank you very much, I will look into that. Adding some calories would be nice lol. 1200 seems so low.

That's because it is low...

If you're exercising, you're probably netting more like 900.
  • SkinnyFatAlbert
    SkinnyFatAlbert Posts: 482 Member
    Options

The student has become the teacher. Go now. Tell the others. :)
  • franticfoxx
    Options
    You have to eat according to your needs. How did you come up with 1200 calories? That's way too little for an active young woman. If all you do is cardio, and starve yourself (not intake enough calories to keep your body functioning efficiently) - you will not loose weight. Look at it as the equivalent of being a hamster in a wheel. I was stuck in this cycle for almost two years, before I realized that I was going nowhere. You need to set a goal, calculate what your BMR is with your activity level and what you need to maintain your current weight. Then reduce that 5-15% and eat well balanced meals of carbs/proteins/fats. Start lifting weights to make your body more efficient. Straight cardio will keep you at the same weight, but your body fat % is either going to stay the same, or you'll slowly gain more, especially if you're eating some arbitrary number of calories with no rhyme or reason.

I have a desk job, would adding calories still apply if my activity level during the day is just sitting at the computer?
    i understand fully what your telling me, I 'm just scared to be honest. I wold like to add calories, just wasn't sure that was right. I got 1200 from wanting to lose weight, and having a low activity level during the day. according to MFP.,.,
  • franticfoxx
    Options

The student has become the teacher. Go now. Tell the others. :)

Ill do my best. lol
  • ppoplawski
    ppoplawski Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    My first thought is that you may not be losing weight, but you are building muscle while losing fat. There are times I just couldn't get past a certain weight, but realized my clothes were still getting looser. I think the body just starts adjusting.
  • Idka81
    Options

No problem. If you notice that you're hungry/craving things all the time. It's totally because you don't eat enough. I was the same way. Eat a banana- gain a pound. Nothing changed, and kept upping the cardio thinking I wasn't doing enough. I stayed at the same weight, yes, but it would fluctuate up and down a couple of pounds. It would go down when I would reduce calories (arbitrary number) and then as soon as I ate extra it would go right back up and sometimes more. Proper nutrition takes a bit of time and effort to figure out, but there are tons of resources/calculators online to get you started. Don't be afraid to eat more. And definitely don't be afraid of weights-you will see amazing results and wonder why you didn't do this sooner. I can attest to that :D
  • franticfoxx
    Options

No problem. If you notice that you're hungry/craving things all the time. It's totally because you don't eat enough. I was the same way. Eat a banana- gain a pound. Nothing changed, and kept upping the cardio thinking I wasn't doing enough. I stayed at the same weight, yes, but it would fluctuate up and down a couple of pounds. It would go down when I would reduce calories (arbitrary number) and then as soon as I ate extra it would go right back up and sometimes more. Proper nutrition takes a bit of time and effort to figure out, but there are tons of resources/calculators online to get you started. Don't be afraid to eat more. And definitely don't be afraid of weights-you will see amazing results and wonder why you didn't do this sooner. I can attest to that :D

Once you started to add more calories did you notice a change in weight? How did it turn out for you?
    Your very helpful lol.
  • Idka81
    Options

I have a desk job, would adding calories still apply if my activity level during the day is just sitting at the computer?
    i understand fully what your telling me, I 'm just scared to be honest. I wold like to add calories, just wasn't sure that was right. I got 1200 from wanting to lose weight, and having a low activity level during the day. according to MFP.,.,

I also have a desk job and I work from home. I'm in my home office 6-8 hours per day. But I make sure to hit the gym 6 days a week for 2 hours varying cardio/weights. Before I did the same routine but only cardio, even did 3 hours of it per day at some point and was at the same exact weight for almost two years. I was terrified to eat more too, because I have the desk job, and because we are often under a misguided impression that to lose weight we have to eat less. That is true, but it has to be done correctly (taking the sum of what you need first, then reducing by appropriate amounts to make sure you don't deny yourself what you actually need). If you don't take a chance, you will not know how to fix it. Ignore MFP's settings - it's what got me in a 1200 calorie rut because that's what it estimated for me at my activity level. And I exercised, got pissed off, but kept going because I was afraid to eat more. It got me nowhere. I claim temporary insanity. And since the classic definition is "doing the same thing over and over, but expecting different results", then the shoe fits. :)
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options

MFP doesn't count your exercise though. If you accurately add exercise to MFP, your daily calories allowed would increase.
  • HotSouthernMess
    Options
    Do you have your goals set to lose 2 pounds a week? If so, that is probably where the 1200 calories came from. Even with a sedentary job, someone of your size should be eating more. And because you only need to lose about 15 more pounds, it is going to take much longer than someone like me that needs to lose a lot more. I would advise setting your goals to 1 pound a week. That should change up your macros a little. Try it out for a week or two and see how you feel. This is a learning game, sometimes you have to play with the settings to see what works best for you. I would also advise taking measurements. As someone said before you might be gaining muscle so the scale won't go down, but you will see that you are actually "shrinking". LOL
  • HotSouthernMess
    Options
    You said you are scared to increase your calories, but think of it this way...when you hit your goal and go to maintenance, you won't be eating 1200 calories a day and you can't live off of 1200 for the rest of your life. You need to slowly up the calories so your body will adjust. You will continue to lose at a slow, healthy pace and then it will stop as you reach maintanence. Remember this is a lifestyle, not a quick fix diet.