Always hungy

Options
I feel like I am ALWAYS hungry and that is one reason why dieting is so hard for me. I lost about 30lbs and now I'm put 1/2 of it back on. I'm ready to get back on track ,but need a little help. Is there a supplement to help me not feel as hungry? I'm 177 lbs now and I really want to get to about 160 by the holidays. I have a desk job and it is easy to nibble all day and my will power is not very strong at the moment. Any ideas. Thanks! I'm going to do this!

Replies

• Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    Opening you diary would be a start. Eat more protein to feel full longer. What have you got your budget set at? Maybe you are hungry but it sounds more like you eat out of boredom so remove the stuff you snack on or replace it with raw veggies.
  • ChasingKatie
    ChasingKatie Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    I ask myself, am I hungry enough to eat celery? If not, I drink some water.
    I think once in the past year I actually ate the celery.
  • spydermonkey511
    spydermonkey511 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Thanks, I'm trying to get back into using my diary like I was. I do keep healthier choices to snack on. The celery idea is pretty good, but I do like it lol. Guess it is hard to gain weight on celery though.
  • mfoulkebrown
    mfoulkebrown Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    Adding a bunch of veggies to meals really helps me. Also, broth based soups are great at lunch since they are usually low calorie. I find (for whatever reason) that warm food helps me feel more full.
  • rosieoh11
    rosieoh11 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    love the celery idea!
  • David0081
    Options
    Drink more water, it's a fact that most people mistake thirst for hunger. More water will help suppress appetite. Six smaller meals a day is another method if you haven't tried it.

good luck!
  • Atarahh
    Atarahh Posts: 485 Member
    Options
    Hungy?
  • akaMrsmojo
    akaMrsmojo Posts: 762 Member
    Options
    When I had a desk job, I are popcorn every afternoon. It is low-calorie and it made me want water.
  • ChantalD75
    ChantalD75 Posts: 680 Member
    Options
    I use a water bottle at work helps with the mindless munching... I just grab the water bottle instead... helps alot.
  • Pixi_Rex
    Pixi_Rex Posts: 1,676 Member
    Options
    Stop thinking of it as a diet. Eat real food, and plenty of it. If you are eating 1200 Calories and you are still hungry consider upping the calories.
  • Code7526
    Options
    If you want to snack, don't snack on refined sugar and wheat.

Snack on hard boiled eggs. Boil a lot of eggs and keep it in your fridge and when you feel like snacking, snack on the hard boiled eggs only.

Also drink 3 litres of water a day. Drink 2 cups of water before every meal.
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options
    I ask myself, am I hungry enough to eat celery? If not, I drink some water.
    I think once in the past year I actually ate the celery.

I like this trick!
  • firstsip
    firstsip Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    How many calories are you eating? If you are always hungry, and somehow gained half of your weight back, it sounds like you're setting your calorie goal too low, getting very hungry, and then potentially going over when you eat (especially if not tracking).

If you opened your diary, we'd be able to figure out the source of the problem instead of just prescribing you celery.
  • spydermonkey511
    Options
    Hungy?

See so focused on food, I can't even proof stuff :o)
  • jules77az2004
    jules77az2004 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    i used to be hungry all the time too. Until I put away the idea that I couldn't have certain things anymore (I stopped "craving" things by doing this). Like cheese, sweets, etc... every meal I make (except cereal :) ) I add vegi's too it. So every sandwich has lettuce and tomato. Makes it "bigger". So most my dinners have turned into casserole style dishes or 1 pot skillet meals because I add 1-3 vegi's in every pot. :) Bulks up my meals without adding too many calories. Hubster even likes it. because And the 2nd thing I do is tell myself if you're really hungry you'll eat an apple (and celery is the perfect thing for this too). If you don't "want" to eat the apple you're not hungry. And it works every time. :) Good luck figuring out what works for you :)
  • astridfeline
    astridfeline Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    Opening you diary would be a start. Eat more protein to feel full longer.

I agree with eating more protein...and fat too. Here is a link about snacking:

http://www.gnolls.org/tag/how-to-stop-snacking/
  • erica1649
    Options
    Wow, are you sure I didn't post this myself? Cause I'm having the same dillema.

Working in a doctors office, you would think my eating habits would be healthier, but we get lunch from drug reps just about EVERYDAY. I've been lately taking a lean cuisine or a smart ones and having some salad, but that doesn't seem to be working either. I'm not getting enough excercise and have totally lost my routine.

I lost 20 pounds total, but now its like I've gained almost 10 back. I got on the scale again last night at the gym (Fully clothed, heavy work pants, after eating and drinking lots of fluids, and soon to be "that time" and was 180) I almost burst out in tears because I was so upset with myself.

Now with the days getting dark earlier, it kinda makes me depressed like, so I need to push myself. I would love to be back to 143 where I was when my father passed 8 years ago this coming friday.

I guess what I'm trying to say here (and should be listening to my own advice) is get yourself back into a routine. If you feel the urge to snack, bring some carrot sticks and celery and fruit. If you want a crunch, make some unbuttered popcorn, 3 cups of that can satisfy a craving...so they say. I need to start buying more portable things to snack at here instead of grabbing for other stuff. the holidays are coming like you said, so its best to start now, its just so frustrating!
  • Code7526
    Options
    Don't worry about calories. Following this meal plan and eat as much as you like and then if you feel like you want to cut down on what you are eating then cut down.

Breakfast: Big bowl of oats with full cream milk but no sugar
    Snack: An Apple
    Lunch: Protein with dark/light green vegetable
    Snack: An Apple
    Supper: Protein with dark/light green vegetable

No refined sugar or wheat
    Drink 3 litres of water a day.
  • spydermonkey511
    Options
    Thank you everyone! I'm getting back on track today!
  • RoseTears143
    RoseTears143 Posts: 1,121 Member
    Options
    definitely evaluate how much fat you are getting. Eating adequate amounts from healthy sources will make the world of difference in how satiated you feel. Of course you need enough protein as well. Don't fall in to the "low fat" diet trap. Avocado, coconut oil, olives, nuts and seeds, olive oil...all healthy fats. Dig in!