frustrated with comments and opinions

Options
2»

Replies

• BrandNewFabulousMe
    Options
    Sounds like you have quite a challenge. But you seem to be up to it!

I second the advice to not tell anyone in your immediate family what you're doing. Find support here on MFP or elsewhere, but don't make a big deal of it to people around you. I've found that it's liberating to not be telling my friends and co-workers what I'm doing. Some have figured it out, and complimented me, and I appreciate that. But I'm doing this for me and my wife, not for anyone else, and I don't need to seek out approval from others.

If anyone is being negative, let success be your silent revenge. And good luck!

(Oh, and chicken nuggets are disgusting. I weep when I think how many I ate in high school. On the other hand, you can make delicious and healthy chicken dishes with boneless, skinless breasts and thighs.)

amen to that! Thanks for your kind words :)
  • skygoddess86
    skygoddess86 Posts: 487 Member
    Options
    The crack comment made me laugh. I've been there. That is a comment from people with small minds who can't fathom a different way to lose weight.
  • Coyoteldy
    Coyoteldy Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    ok gotta jump in here.. do this for YOU because YOU are worth it. Its tough when people feel they have the right to just dump anything that comes out of their mouths on you.. might be time for some re education for them. I have gotten to the point where I simply tell people their comments are unwelcome....sometimes they get pissy and sometimes they don't.. but this isn't about them.. its about you finding your value and worth. This isn't their journey.. its yours and you have aright to do it YOUR way... hang in there sweety.. you will amaze them all, by doing it right!
  • qtgonewild
    qtgonewild Posts: 1,930 Member
    Options
    I like you. feel free to add me for great support.
  • michellekicks
    michellekicks Posts: 3,624 Member
    Options
    You guys are really helpful right now. ...its hard not being supported at home but helpful to find it here!

This place is awesome. Bring it here. You can do this... there are LOADS of success stories. Yours can be next.

Get it!
  • Enny2405
    Enny2405 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I understand wanting to keep it quiet and do it for yourself. I have a bad week and fall off the wagon and my partner is the first person to throw it back in my face and make me feel worse about everything then in turn I binge (or binge drink) You don't need the world to know your business - MFP is here for you when you need the support to help you on your journey. No judgement - just support that's what I like most about it xo
  • Nimnyn
    Nimnyn Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Some great advice from commenters in this thread already, but I wanted to share some of my motivation with you too. In my family there runs diabetes, thyroid problems and heart disease. I have two children, and I don't want to be yet another family member on piles of drugs for things that I can help avoid! I want to be around for my kids until we're all old together :) Feel free to add me if you need another MFP friend :)
  • BrandNewFabulousMe
    Options
    ok gotta jump in here.. do this for YOU because YOU are worth it. Its tough when people feel they have the right to just dump anything that comes out of their mouths on you.. might be time for some re education for them. I have gotten to the point where I simply tell people their comments are unwelcome....sometimes they get pissy and sometimes they don't.. but this isn't about them.. its about you finding your value and worth. This isn't their journey.. its yours and you have aright to do it YOUR way... hang in there sweety.. you will amaze them all, by doing it right!

thank you. Im thinking im going to have to take that route
  • BrandNewFabulousMe
    Options
    Some great advice from commenters in this thread already, but I wanted to share some of my motivation with you too. In my family there runs diabetes, thyroid problems and heart disease. I have two children, and I don't want to be yet another family member on piles of drugs for things that I can help avoid! I want to be around for my kids until we're all old together :) Feel free to add me if you need another MFP friend :)

im only 28 with high cholesterol. My dr wants me to lose weight instead of taking a pill. Im taking nutrition education to learn how to eat better. I want to live a healthy life also
  • tattygun
    tattygun Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    Know exactly how you feel OP. Over the course of my life I've been told I'm too fat, too skinny and now apparently I'm too muscular. All by my mum!

But...I kinda like it. Gives me a lot of motiviation and plenty of lols when she diets on 900 cals a day then gains everything back over the course of a week!
  • Therealobi1
    Therealobi1 Posts: 3,261 Member
    Options
    You guys are really helpful right now. ...its hard not being supported at home but helpful to find it here!

This place is awesome. Bring it here. You can do this... there are LOADS of success stories. Yours can be next.

Get it!

i agree with this. i dont have anyone around me who really really wants to shed fat or work out, so i find this site amazing. keep logging on everyday and you will do this. Do it for yourself, but it will be a lovely feeling when you wipe the smiles off their faces. good luck. x
  • mamadon
    mamadon Posts: 1,422 Member
    Options
    I didnt tell anyone for a really long time. It was a personal thing for me.
  • l0l0p
    l0l0p Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    "I don't feel I need to tell the world I'm losing weight so they can hit me with the " its about time...or yah it wont last" comments. I just feel like I have to keep my weight loss journey a secret bc they will condemn me anyway. I really want this. I want to shut them all up. Mark my words soon as I lose 15 lbs they are gonna say my head is too big. ..Ive lost too much and im on crack.....they will say it all ugh..I feel better for the moment.
    I'm strong. I want this. I can do this. Ok. I'm ready to get back to my day. "

I understand how you feel!!!! My family is very discouraging at times too. Just IGNORE what they say...I didnt tell them my weight loss journey at the first place..basically just do it to stop them from condemning and tearing me down.....
    And Yes keep the focus on yourself and your journey!:bigsmile: :flowerforyou: "Though some think that negative comments are a way to motivate people to lose weight - little do they know that more often than not, it just makes things worse", as exactly as some mfpals above described.
    And Yes We are here to support you!!!:flowerforyou:
    Good Luck in your weight loss journey!!! Dont Ever Allow Anybody bring you down, They Aren't Worth It!! So true!!! :heart:
    Keep your head up.. And I Agree that some MFP friends won't judge you like your family does. I have met Awesome Wonderful people here! :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile:
    "We're here to listen and to support you on your journey however you may need us. Don't give up!" WayToGo!!!:flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :happy: :drinker:
  • SuperAmie
    SuperAmie Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    You are right. I need to do this for me and my son. Not for them. Thank you, thank you!
    You got it!! xoxo
  • Brige2269
    Brige2269 Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    Thanks for this thread, OP. I had a blow to my spirit this morning that could derail everything, but I can't let it get to me. I'll be taking everyone's advice. MFP is a great place.
  • dawn72467
    Options
    There are some people in life (especially in our families) that feel the need to pass judgment all the time. Forget about them and their judgments. Do this for yourself! Share your success (and there will be many) and struggles with whoever is going to help you succeed in reaching YOUR goals. I am fortunate in my family being very supportive, but still find it helpful to be out here everyday talking with people who are sharing in the same journey I am. My son has been absolutely AMAZING in his support of me. He has never commented on how big I was or anything like that, but now whenever I weigh myself and share the loss with him, I get a HI-5 or fist bump, or he will just simply smile and tell me he is proud of me. I had to get to a point in my life where I was doing this for MYSELF not anyone else, because if you don't it just won't work. You will find reasons to give up or backslide. Here on MFP when you have one of those days you can send out a post and your MPF friends will pick you up and get you back on track. We have all been there and know that a few kind words (and sometimes a kick in the butt) goes a long way in motivation. Just log all your food, look at other peoples diary's for different options, and stay HONEST with yourself. Friend me if you want. I am on here almost everyday and I will help where I can. Good Luck to you ~ You can do this!!! Just remember to take it one day at a time.
  • lesutherl
    lesutherl Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I'm 75 and have had a lifetime of yo-yo dieting. I haven't been thin since I was in my 20's. But I recently decided that I needed to do this for me so I don't end up in a nursing home, I too have a family member that makes comments about my weight. It makes me angry but I am working to let it roll off. I do tell the person to can it. It does help doesn't shut them up but it helps me feel more in control. As others have said keep it to yourself and do it for yourself and your child. good luck and keep posting
  • Koldnomore
    Koldnomore Posts: 1,613 Member
    Options
    I still haven't told people I'm 'losing weight'! of course by now it's blatantly obvious that I have LOST a substantial amount. My family hasn't really commented because they are all grossly overweight and very likely the fact that I do not seem to be joining them anymore on the road to fatness is probably making them uncomfortable..

I don't even mention my weight, I don't point it out, frankly I don't care what they think - I decided to lose weight for myself so that I could be healthier and not have to be one of those old people in a cart because I was no longer able to walk around due to weight.

When people make comments just smile and nod and say 'ok' and just leave it at that.. "you need to lose weight' ..uh huh..ok. "Look at so-and-so they are doing this thing or that thing" ..uh huh..ok.. Just keep doing your thing.. Now a days I just say "yeah I lost a little weight" but I don't even bother to expand on it unless someone seems interested.. My family still insists Dr.Oz knows what he's talking about... I just smile and nod..uh huh..ok and keep doing my thing.

Don't let people who have no idea stop you in your tracks.. As someone said before "Success is the best revenge" Just keep on doing what you're doing.