Diabetes & Weight Loss

Options
Soooooo I had my quarterly Diabetes check up today and overall, things are going well. My A1C, blood sugars and cholesterol are down and that's great. What isn't down is my weight. I've been working out 4x-5x weekly and I've cut more than 800 calories from daily caloric intake, yet the scale has moved upward, not downward. I've gained 4 lbs since my last quarterly visit.:sad:

My Dr. stated that it is hard for Type II Diabetics to lose weight and encouraged me not to give up, however I'm feeling more than a little frustrated and depressed. We looked over my food journal and she stated that was eating too much fruit and as a result, my carb intake was high. She basically stated that I should eat lean meat and veggies w/ an occasional piece of fruit (not bananas as they are very high in carbs). I've always been told that fruit is a good thing and I'm already feeling deprived. I gave up junk food, switched to fruit and now I can't have much of it. :noway:

I put this out there because my hubby suggested it and also because I know that there are others who have similar/the same issue. I have NO intention of giving up on my weight loss journey and would like some advice on how best to cope with this unexpected turn of events.

Thanks for listening,
Tracy

Replies

• neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,018 Member
    Options
    Low carb and exercise works well for diabetes and I agree with your Doc on that point. Give berries a try, they're lower in carbs, cherries are in season as well as strawberries, both work well.......giving up sugar/refined carbs because of your condition should be a strength.....stick with it.
  • SKAVY7178
    SKAVY7178 Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    Try grapefruits, berries, watermelon, cherries,peach, apricots. Actually it all depends on how your body reacts to it. Each person's sugar levels can vary with defferent types of fruits..Some dont take orange juice 'cos there sugar levels shoot the roof! so try diff fruits and see ur levels.GL with ur weightloss journey:flowerforyou:
  • tekwriter
    tekwriter Posts: 923 Member
    Options
    I am also a diabetic and I have had the same problem and heard the same thing. I lost 40 pounds on weight watchers eating all the fruit I want though, so I do not agree. Slow down on the pasta, rices and grains. Be very careful with bread. It is something I rarely eat. If I have a sweet I do not eat a starch with the meal. Try things and see how they work for you. We are all very different and they do not know everything.
  • PaleoPath4Lyfe
    PaleoPath4Lyfe Posts: 3,161 Member
    Options
    Soooooo I had my quarterly Diabetes check up today and overall, things are going well. My A1C, blood sugars and cholesterol are down and that's great. What isn't down is my weight. I've been working out 4x-5x weekly and I've cut more than 800 calories from daily caloric intake, yet the scale has moved upward, not downward. I've gained 4 lbs since my last quarterly visit.:sad:

My Dr. stated that it is hard for Type II Diabetics to lose weight and encouraged me not to give up, however I'm feeling more than a little frustrated and depressed. We looked over my food journal and she stated that was eating too much fruit and as a result, my carb intake was high. She basically stated that I should eat lean meat and veggies w/ an occasional piece of fruit (not bananas as they are very high in carbs). I've always been told that fruit is a good thing and I'm already feeling deprived. I gave up junk food, switched to fruit and now I can't have much of it. :noway:

I put this out there because my hubby suggested it and also because I know that there are others who have similar/the same issue. I have NO intention of giving up on my weight loss journey and would like some advice on how best to cope with this unexpected turn of events.

Thanks for listening,
    Tracy

I agree with your Dr............load up on the protein and veggies and up your fat intake. Eat berries, cherries, peaches, plums, apples on a limited basis. These are the best fruits.
  • trodney1104
    trodney1104 Posts: 48 Member
    Options

Thanks for listening,
    Tracy

Thanks everyone! After spending time in prayer & Bible Study and a good nights sleep, I'm feeling better about things today! I appreciate all of the encouragement! :flowerforyou:
  • FriedaPeoples
    Options
    I stick mostly to berries if I eat fruit. I was shocked to see that a large apple contains about 25 grams of sugar. I also eat a lot of raw veggies with hummus as a dip.
  • haju2
    haju2 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    aow.. Thats sad :( . I know how that feels. Well maybe I don't actually because i did not have diabetes. My problem is that I don't eat more than 1000 cal a day but still I'm getting fat lately :( its sucks. If you have any suggestions which can help me than do let me know :)
  • mrmagee3
    mrmagee3 Posts: 518 Member
    Options

Thanks for listening,
    Tracy

So, let's look at it on the one hand:

1. You are controlling (or on the process towards controlling) your diabetes and blood markers. That's an absolutely awesome thing -- and it's proof that the exercise and dietary changes you have made have done good. You should be excited and stoked about that accomplishment.

2. On the dietary front, as a T2 diabetic myself, I find it very difficult to lose weight when I'm eating a lot of carbohydrates. I would focus on minimizing carbohydrate intake, and ensuring that most of them come from vegetables (maybe a piece of fruit a day or so, depending on how you respond), and upping the dietary fat and lean protein. That seems to be a pretty common solution for a lot of diabetics -- it definitely was for me.

Keep up the good work, and don't get discouraged. You're doing well.
  • BetesBitch
    BetesBitch Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    Try grapefruits, berries, watermelon, cherries,peach, apricots. Actually it all depends on how your body reacts to it. Each person's sugar levels can vary with defferent types of fruits..Some dont take orange juice 'cos there sugar levels shoot the roof! so try diff fruits and see ur levels.GL with ur weightloss journey:flowerforyou:

Watermelon (actually ALL melons) are high on the glycemic index. I'm a Type 1 diabetic and A1Cs haven't been good since after giving birth 2 years ago. I will not have anymore children for the reason of throwing my diabetes out of control and still not able to get control back after 2 years. I've been working out 5 days a week including strength training and eating at a 400-500 calorie deficit 6 days a week. No weight loss during the 3 months of diligently trying to lose. My doctor told me there is no way for a T1 to lose weight when their blood sugars are unbalanced. I've been low and high all the time.
  • ahamm002
    ahamm002 Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    Due to the law of thermodynamics, weight loss is primarily about calories. OP, if your blood sugar is controlled then you should be able to eat fruits. If you're not losing weight it isn't because of fruit, it's because you're just eating too many total calories. There is no way that you're eating at a defecit of 800 calories per day and not losing weight. That's simply impossible.

Your doctor has the right idea that lean protein and veggies are the best foods for losing weight b/c they're very filling and have plenty of protein and fiber. But you don't have to avoid fruit as long as your blood sugar is under control. What you do have to do is keep better track of your calories and figure out where the error in calories (either in calories in or calories out) is.
  • BetesBitch
    BetesBitch Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    Due to the law of thermodynamics, weight loss is primarily about calories. OP, if your blood sugar is controlled then you should be able to eat fruits. If you're not losing weight it isn't because of fruit, it's because you're just eating too many total calories. There is no way that you're eating at a defecit of 800 calories per day and not losing weight. That's simply impossible.

Your doctor has the right idea that lean protein and veggies are the best foods for losing weight b/c they're very filling and have plenty of protein and fiber. But you don't have to avoid fruit as long as your blood sugar is under control. What you do have to do is keep better track of your calories and figure out where the error in calories (either in calories in or calories out) is.

My doctor said since Im T1 and my blood sugars aren't stable that I won't lose weight. I then asked him "well isn't eating a calorie deficit going to make me lose weight?" He said nope, not that simple with diabetes, it's not just about calorie deficit, it's about getting your blood sugars in control too along with calorie deficit and exercise.
  • albertabeefy
    albertabeefy Posts: 1,169 Member
    Options

My doctor said since Im T1 and my blood sugars aren't stable that I won't lose weight. I then asked him "well isn't eating a calorie deficit going to make me lose weight?" He said nope, not that simple with diabetes, it's not just about calorie deficit, it's about getting your blood sugars in control too along with calorie deficit and exercise.
    It can be extremely difficult for an insulin-dependent diabetic to lose weight, considering we're constantly adjusting doses of important hormones responsible for regulating much to do with our weight.

Many of us have found that switching to an LCHF (low-carb/high-fat) diet has helped balance those hormones, helps reduce (or eliminate) bolus insulin, and regulates our BMR/RMR much better.

For me, I wasn't losing weight at all prior to eating low-carb. but I started LOSING weight when I went LCHF even though I increased my caloric intake by 400kcal per day and did no additional exercise.

So while I agree a caloric deficit *IS* required for weight-loss, finding the macronutrient breakdown that works best (in terms of hormone regulation) for each individual diabetic can increase BMR/RMR and allow the caloric deficit needed.