Lifting: Full Body Workouts--> Have any?

Options
2»

Replies

• JNick77
    JNick77 Posts: 3,783 Member
    Options
    Honestly, I wouldn't recommend Rip's book on form either as some of what he teaches is a little suspect as well. The best videos or tutorials I've seen are on YouTube and they're called,

1. So You Think You Can Bench Press
    2. So You Think You Can Squat
    3. So You Think You Can Deadlift
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    Bump.
  • Stage14
    Stage14 Posts: 1,046 Member
    Options
    I'm going to recommend looking at New Rules of Lifting for Women. It's a great beginner program and I preferred it to Starting Strength (which I've done) or Strong Lifts (which I looked at).

ETA: All 3 are good programs to start with, it's really more about personal preference, and I just happened to like the workouts in NROL4W best.
  • _EdnaRose_
    _EdnaRose_ Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Bumpin!
  • SemperAnticus1643
    SemperAnticus1643 Posts: 703 Member
    Options
    Stronglifts 5x5 gives you a youtube tutorial on how to properly lift. If you sign up on his website, he will give you his pdf and a spreadsheet that will help you to track your progress. The youtube videos are unedited so that you can see about how long the workouts take which is about 30 minutes. He did this on purpose. I haven't looked into the others so I don't know how they work. But I do know that I didn't think the SL 5x5 would be too difficult since its only 25 reps of 3 exercises until day 2 after lifting. My whole body was sore. :flowerforyou:
  • Huffdogg
    Huffdogg Posts: 1,934 Member
    Options

I like all of these video series' as well, but they are tuned for powerlifting specifically if I am remembering correctly. I clearly recall Dave Tate's incredible arch for the bench press.
  • JNick77
    JNick77 Posts: 3,783 Member
    Options

I like all of these video series' as well, but they are tuned for powerlifting specifically if I am remembering correctly. I clearly recall Dave Tate's incredible arch for the bench press.

Yeah, probably don't need to keep such an exaggerated arch for sure but definitely keep a little arch. The one thing that made sense to me and I don't recall who I was watching (Simmons, Wendler, or Tate..) but basically the message was that if you want to learn how to lift safely then watch a powerlifter. Basically because they are moving so much weight that they have to be as safe as possible or they will not just hurt themselves, but possibly kill theirselves if they **** up. I think there's some good logic there but definitely don't need to follow it to the "T". I myself prefer narrow stance squats these days.
  • mantium999
    mantium999 Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    Honestly, I wouldn't recommend Rip's book on form either as some of what he teaches is a little suspect as well. The best videos or tutorials I've seen are on YouTube and they're called,

Thank you for these. I have been trying to help my wife with her squat and especially deadlift form. Apparently I am not a good teacher, and Starting Strength bored her. She enjoys lifting, just not enough to spend time not lifting learning how to lift better. These videos were great in helping her visualize what I have been trying to describe, and she was able to watch them quickly right before her workout. Good stuff.
  • shining_light
    shining_light Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    My recommendations for full-body strength exercises :Clean-and-press, bench press, squats, deadlifts, pushups(yes, I hate them, but they work a host of muscle groups), and sprinting. Sprinting is, generally speaking, not cardio, and it will work most of your muscles with proper form.

Be prepared for some big muscle soreness after, though. I am in a lot of pain at the moment. Lol.
  • climbamnt
    climbamnt Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    Bump to read later, thanks!
  • aippolito1
    aippolito1 Posts: 4,894 Member
    Options
    If you want to lift 4 days in a row, I would recommend Jillian Michaels' videos. They're great beginner workouts but you can make them harder and you definitely can do them everyday. I really liked 30 Day Shred and No More Trouble Zones. I saw great progress in my muscles with NMTZ in just a couple weeks (inner thighs, hello!) and you can really gauge your progress on how much easier it gets to do the videos as time goes on.

A lot of is body weight exercises but all the arm stuff you use dumbbells. So not sure if you want JUST lifting, but overall I found it to be great for strength training and will be incorporating these videos into my routine again.
  • abickford82
    Options
    If you're willing to make the investment for home workouts, I highly recommend BodyBeast. I know it's NOT a starter program and it's really hard, but I LOVE IT. It's expensive, and you have to buy weights for home but it's worth every penny. It has shaped my body and taken me from a cardio junkie to a lifter. On the Beachbody site they do have "Lucky 7" in the BodyBeast section, which is a total body workout for $19.95, plus tax and shipping. All you'll need with it is an easy bar so you can make a small investment vs. a bigger one by buying the whole program.
  • juiletflt
    juiletflt Posts: 159
    Options
    I've been using the Beautiful Badass program and love it. Each day has 1-2 lower body exercises, 1-2 upper body exercises, and core work.

Also, I picked this one because after you do the beginner program you have about 19 different options of workouts depending on what you want to do. It also comes with a manual discussing the workout plan as a whole and links to her private youtube channel with demonstrations on how to properly perform lifts. She also gives you her contact info if you have questions.