Do you dread eating out now?

Options

Replies

• Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    Sounds like the beginning of orthorexic tendencies

The caloric content of what I order at restaurants doesn't factor into my decisions at all
  • ashleyinthecold
    ashleyinthecold Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    I look at it as a CHALLENGE! I don't eat out much during the week, but when my boyfriend and I spend time together on the weekends, we usually eat out. Most of the time we go places where I can make somewhat good decisions. If I don't know calorie counts, I at least try to make the most healthful (and best tasting) choice. And then sometimes, we go eat chili dogs. You have to make healthy habits, not Hitler habits. :)
  • Buckeyegirlbritt
    Options
    When eating out, I used to jump right to the salads and find one with chicken, order it with minimal stuff on it and my dressing was always on the side and I drizzled it on, I might have only drizzled on one tbsp., if that, to make sure I was always going to be under calories. My husband and family thought I was crazy!

Of course, now that I'm pregnant, I don't think that way, but if we do go out (for any reason), 9 times out of 10 I'll order a salad with no cheese.

You can never be too cautious what or how much you are being served at a restaurant, because everyone knows here in America, our portions are always double.
  • The_Gent_65
    Options
    It's a double edge sword because I love the ritual of going to a restaurant and having a dining experience. The problem is the calculator in my head works over time as I am trying to estimate the portion size, is there oil, I know this isn't reduced fat cheese, etc. As an estimator by trade I always round up, and it usually doesn't look pretty in my diary
  • Cranquistador
    Cranquistador Posts: 39,744 Member
    Options
    NO.
  • awtume9
    awtume9 Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    I don't go out to eat often at all, so when I do, I don't worry about it. I enjoy it!
  • LYNN8SUPERSTARZS
    LYNN8SUPERSTARZS Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I plan ahead and i tip well, Most places i go know what i want before i ask. Im not afraid to ask questions .:smile:
  • EmilyOfTheSun
    EmilyOfTheSun Posts: 1,548 Member
    Options
    I get a little insane at times as well and think WAY too much into things like this. As long as you're not eating out every day/every meal....the little indiscrepancies (TIL that "indiscrepancies" isn't actually a word, hm), shouldn't hurt your progress. You gotta just try to let it go sometimes and enjoy special occasions.
  • ilovescarymovies
    ilovescarymovies Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    I was that way when i started. Got over it. Life is not enjoyable if you cant eat out with family and friends every now and then. I am going to a bbq restaurant this evening with my family and will choose healthy options and have done a workout already in preparation. Not the end of the world guys
  • schonsdragon
    schonsdragon Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    No I don't dread eating out. I make a reasonable choice for my meal. I had to learn that there is nothing wrong with leaving food on my plate. I also have learned to eat slower and to quit when I am full.

A couple of tips that help me on eating out, we tend to go to Mom and Pop places so there is seldom an online menu.

Tip one:Since restaurant portions are so large I plan on taking home half or more of my meal which helps on portion control and will ask to box up half before I eat. Second tip: If they have a lunch menu ask if you can have the lunch portion instead of the dinner portion it is smaller and have only been told no once, still usually can't eat it all. Another tip: If I am at a ethnic restaurant and they offer children's meal in that cuisine I will order a child's meal, if they offer what I want, since they tend to be smaller portions. I have found several places their children's meals are too large for me to finish.
  • Confuzzled4ever
    Confuzzled4ever Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    Nope. I love going out to eat. It's just an expense that i have to manage closely, so I don't do it often. Going out tomorrow though. Gotta watch the game. :)
  • Jacwhite22
    Jacwhite22 Posts: 7,012 Member
    Options
    I love eating out.
  • jackpotclown
    jackpotclown Posts: 3,291 Member
    Options
    I love eating out.
    absolutely \m/
  • calibriintx
    calibriintx Posts: 1,741 Member
    Options
    I love eating out.

:flowerforyou:
  • Cranquistador
    Cranquistador Posts: 39,744 Member
    Options
    I love eating out.
    absolutely \m/
    :smile:
  • sepulchura
    sepulchura Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    You are not insane, you are in a culture where it is considered normal to eat a meal drenched in fatty oils, sugar and dairy. Keep up the good fight and we don't care if the waiter stares at you like you are some odd narwhal that just materialized at his table, we've got your back.

Of course you are a bit obsessed, remaining healthy and eating wisely really is a bit of an obsession and I think it can be an asset. If it's upsetting you, then that's not good though.

If you cannot avoid a work lunch, I would suggest sticking to a salad with the dressing on the side, and then if this results in a protein deficit, make it up later with some sliced turkey or what-not
  • jafabuNZ
    jafabuNZ Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Eating out is very occasional for me, not every week. I don't dread eating out at all. I enjoy every single pleasurable bite but try not to eat everything on the menu or if I'm at a smorgasbord, restrict to one plate. I don't think you're crazy but yes probably obsessed, however, I think most people using this site are a little or a lot obsessed! and that's including myself. If we weren't "obsessed" about cals, we wouldn't care and we wouldn't be here.
  • WeepingAngel81
    WeepingAngel81 Posts: 2,232 Member
    Options
    I don't get to eat out very often so on the rare occasion that I do, I don't feel bad. At least not until after the meal when the guilt sets in. In that case I call a friend and get support that it's ok to eat out and that I need to have fun once in a while.
  • Calliope610
    Calliope610 Posts: 3,771 Member
    Options
    I feel the same in some ways. I went out to eat for dinner at a nice restaurant on Saturday and worked out that morning in order to stay within my calorie range for the day. The menu said this steak dinner would have 490 calories. It was supposed to be a 5 ounce sirloin with some jasmine rice and vegetable medley. Well when i get the steak it ends up being a 10 ounce piece that obviously had a butter onion type of sauce on it and I was just so mad. I had a "diva" moment and i know they thought I was crazy but in the end they took the steak back and cut it in half for me just so i wouldn't have to deal with it. Apparently no one in the place knows their own menu because they all didn't realize this was a menu item. It was just not a pleasant experience and those are the things I dread.

Call me stupid, ignorant or naive, but I thought that was why God invented "to go" boxes. :huh:
  • Patzycakes
    Patzycakes Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    It's not unheard about me ranting and going on and on when I get home from a restaurant and look online to find no nutritional information that restaurant. It fills me with dread going out to at random non-chain restaurants. If it's a chain, no issue, most of the time I can find what I'm looking for (menu, nutritional information ect) online.

The thing that drives me crazy about eating out is the food preperation. Oil? What kind? How much? What's in this sauce? How many tablespoons would you estimate this to be?