Belly Overhang success stories

Options

Replies

• KarlaH9801
    KarlaH9801 Posts: 362 Member
    Options
    Slowly but surely, it's going away. After 4 huge babies (8-10 lbs), two of which were ceserians, I was convinced I'd have an apron forever. 70 lbs down, 7" off my waist, and it is noticibly smaller and higher (?). I am wanting to get into lifting heavy things, and you ladies have sealed the deal. More weights from now on! You gals rock!!
  • MityMax96
    MityMax96 Posts: 5,778 Member
    Options
    Stomach and lower back are problem areas for men.
    Stomach and thighs/legs are the problem spots for women.

They are the last areas to go when trimming fat, due to the biological make up of those areas, compared to other parts of your body.

I think Lyle McDonald spoke about it in one of his writings.
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    <
    My profile has pics...
    I had 2 c-sections, one emergency and 3 Vbac's. 5 pregnancies all together... and I lift heavy. :)

Wow, Nice job!!! Congratulations!

Slowly but surely, it's going away. After 4 huge babies (8-10 lbs), two of which were ceserians, I was convinced I'd have an apron forever. 70 lbs down, 7" off my waist, and it is noticibly smaller and higher (?). I am wanting to get into lifting heavy things, and you ladies have sealed the deal. More weights from now on! You gals rock!!

Yes lift! I only started in July and have seen incredible results from it.
  • frommetobetterme
    frommetobetterme Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    I'm waiting for someone to post success pictures for this too as it's also my trouble area. My mother told me I'll probably never get rid of it, but I'm determined to have a bikini body :-).

I have seen so many success stories over the last year that say this is simply not true! You can do this! I remember after I had my second son the Doctor told me that my abs would never be the same. I am working to prove him wrong! It just takes hard work and dedication. If you want it bad enough, it will happen!

Talking about the apron going I think is different than talking about abs. The apron is basically just skin. As for your abs they may or may not be the same. Some people have a hard time because their abs stay separated after they give birth. Some exercises can help, but sometimes, surgery is required. I'm not an expert on this, just read a bit about it since I knew someone who had that problem, she could put a fist between the two sides of her abs.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diastasis_recti
    you can see a lot of pictures of this if you google abdominal separation.
  • contingencyplan
    contingencyplan Posts: 3,639 Member
    Options
    After 120 lbs of weight loss I had a significant apron which had to be surgically removed. Medical insurance covered it because in my case the apron was considerable enough to constitute a medical risk factor (skin irritation and such)
  • frommetobetterme
    Options
    After 120 lbs of weight loss I had a significant apron which had to be surgically removed. Medical insurance covered it because in my case the apron was considerable enough to constitute a medical risk factor (skin irritation and such)

Did they push you to lose more weight/exercise more before doing the surgery? Just wondering what type of conditions they might put on this sort of surgery.

I sure hope that if I do my best and can't get rid of it I'll have that option (and if my breast don't become smaller, also maybe get a reduction at the same time).
  • Mrs_Fit
    Mrs_Fit Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    bump
  • EliseMarie24
    EliseMarie24 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • bushokie
    bushokie Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    bump
  • MityMax96
    MityMax96 Posts: 5,778 Member
    Options
    I know the OP doesn't do Intermittent Fasting....that is fine,
    But if you get a chance, read this page:
    http://www.leangains.com/2010/06/intermittent-fasting-and-stubborn-body.html

He explains why the "stubborn fat", and explains the scientific reasoning behind it.
  • contingencyplan
    Options

Did they push you to lose more weight/exercise more before doing the surgery? Just wondering what type of conditions they might put on this sort of surgery.

I sure hope that if I do my best and can't get rid of it I'll have that option (and if my breast don't become smaller, also maybe get a reduction at the same time).

They wanted me to lose another 10 lbs or so prior to undergoing the surgery (which I did as they gave me 8 months notice to do it). Everything pretty much went smoothly. Recovery was 2-3 months.

Also I'm not sure what the OP is asking for when they say "belly overhang" because most people here are talking about diets and more fat loss which won't cut it if it is what I think it is because it's just skin. Not fat, just excess skin.
  • Mcgrawhaha
    Mcgrawhaha Posts: 1,596 Member
    Options

They wanted me to lose another 10 lbs or so prior to undergoing the surgery (which I did as they gave me 8 months notice to do it). Everything pretty much went smoothly. Recovery was 2-3 months.

Also I'm not sure what the OP is asking for when they say "belly overhang" because most people here are talking about diets and more fat loss which won't cut it if it is what I think it is because it's just skin. Not fat, just excess skin.

mine was saggy skin, and it continued to tighten as i excercised and lost the fat, as skin is supposed to do in "most" cases. i have pics now where you can see the skin actually shribbled up during the shrinking process. skin absolutrely does tighten up, but in more severe cases, may need surgical removal.
  • contingencyplan
    Options

mine was saggy skin, and it continued to tighten as i excercised and lost the fat, as skin is supposed to do in "most" cases. i have pics now where you can see the skin actually shribbled up during the shrinking process. skin absolutrely does tighten up, but in more severe cases, may need surgical removal.

Mine only got worse. I was told by the surgeon that once it hangs low enough to obstruct the genitals (as it did in my case) surgery becomes medically advisable and that's why insurance covers it. Because apparently at that point it never will go back.
  • aliencheesecake
    aliencheesecake Posts: 570 Member
    Options

That depends a lot of genetics and age. Skin loses elasticity as you age, so some tightening may occur, but not necessarily enough to remove a large apron of skin.
  • TeresaMarie46
    TeresaMarie46 Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    Hey
    Just hoping some of ye lovely people who have success getting rid of the dreaded belly overhang can share yer stories and pics
    Looking for some inspiration !!

Thanking ye in advance

Kettle bell swings, bring your arms and leg to meet in the middle. Both have helped my stomach to decrease a lot, especially the awful overhang that was belly fat.

Kettle Bell Swings, do we draw the leg UP to meet in the middle, or ??...can you please elaborate?
  • MACnificence
    MACnificence Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    Ya mine is like really jiggly saggy skin , if I bend over it droops from my body ! It's gross it's like there's not much inside there , it's really jiggly not solid in the slightest ! It has shrunk but why I posted this topic is to give me hope that it can eventually shrink completely
    I know everyone is different but at least we know it is indeed possibly to get it back to normal
  • frommetobetterme
    Options

Kettle bell swings, bring your arms and leg to meet in the middle. Both have helped my stomach to decrease a lot, especially the awful overhang that was belly fat.

Kettle Bell Swings, do we draw the leg UP to meet in the middle, or ??...can you please elaborate?

So like this, or is there another variation?
    http://striveperformance.com/2009/03/kettlebell-swings/
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,741 Member
    Options
    I still have belly overhang on my waist area but the yucky lower belly overhang is *totally* gone now at 218 lb (highest weight 300 lb) so there's hope yet. No special exercises done.
  • missrussia74
    Options
    I have the same problem like everybody on this page. After 2 C-section my belly is nanging so low-I can't stand it. I know I probably will never get rid of it completely, but I hope after I lose more pounds I can see some result. Right now I am only loosing fat in tights, butt and boobs. I work out 3 days a week, and take long walks every day. I just can't spend 5 days a week in the gyme bacause I have baby at home. But I am doing what I can
  • ViktoryaC
    ViktoryaC Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    I've eaten myself into a 55 pound gain over the past 18 months (not proud) :blushing: I went from a 24 inch waist to a 37 inch waist, and growing. I lie to think this can be reversed, its; good to know some people are having success!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!