Anyone heard the term 'seagan'?

Options
I know, cue the hating vegans.....
I was vegan up until yesterday but my poorly planned diet has left me very deficient and ill and so I have temporarily reverted back to vegetarianism until I know what I am doing.
When I return to veganism I was thinking of possibly eating prawns and some other fish that I personally deem ok.
I have researched this and it is called seagan.
I am not looking for hate from some vegans, I am just asking if anyone is/heard of seaganism?

Replies

• nomeejerome
    nomeejerome Posts: 2,616 Member
    Options
    Why not focus on recovery versus continuing the cycle of restriction and binging?
  • _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options
    If you eat seafood you are not a vegan. As a vegan myself I'm confused how you are deficient in anything as its no harder to eat properly than any other diet if though you want some hints feel free to friend me as my diary is open for ideas
  • Pearsquared
    Pearsquared Posts: 1,656 Member
    Options
    That's Pescetarianism, isn't it?

Edit: I should google before I post.
  • recovery114
    Options
    Why not focus on recovery versus continuing the cycle of restriction and binging?
    i am, hence why I am no longer vegan, I just could never eat meat, i am just considering shrimp when I return to veganism with more research
    fatdoob, veganism combined with restrictive/binging eating disordermakes it EXTREMLY difficult to stay healthy,. Especially when you are 18 and trying to get strong for climbing.
  • Sarahndipity30
    Sarahndipity30 Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    I've heard the term "Seatarian" before lol
  • linzchapates
    Options
    negative ghost rider... a spade is still a spade by any other name... you would not be a vegan if you are eating fish....but if you ENJOY the fish and WANT to eat it have at 'er! The only person/thing stopping you is well YOU and YOUR labels on what you're eating...best of luck.. hope health wise things turn around for you!
  • Lupercalia
    Lupercalia Posts: 1,857 Member
    Options
    Never heard "seagan".

My son also fell very ill from his vegetarian diet, but has been very healthy since adding animal products back into his diet.
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    Does it involve billions and billions and billions and billions of shrimp?

Get it seagan sagan...huh huh?
  • firstsip
    firstsip Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    I've heard of seaman, is this anything like that?
  • nomeejerome
    nomeejerome Posts: 2,616 Member
    Options
    i am, hence why I am no longer vegan, I just could never eat meat, i am just considering shrimp when I return to veganism with more research
    fatdoob, veganism combined with restrictive/binging eating disordermakes it EXTREMLY difficult to stay healthy,. Especially when you are 18 and trying to get strong for climbing.

Obviously something is off if you have become ill. There is no rule that one has to eat meat in order to be healthy. There are many people who are vegetarians and are extremely healthy individuals. (including some people on MFP) If you want to get strong for climbing, you must meet your nutritional needs. It might be a good idea to have a chat with your doctor and your parents.

Here is some reading for you to do in the meantime:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants?page=1#posts-16625920

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/926789-protein-sources
  • sabified
    sabified Posts: 1,051 Member
    Options
    negative ghost rider... a spade is still a spade by any other name... you would not be a vegan if you are eating fish....but if you ENJOY the fish and WANT to eat it have at 'er! The only person/thing stopping you is well YOU and YOUR labels on what you're eating...best of luck.. hope health wise things turn around for you!

Agreed :) I sometimes call myself a chickabacatarian.

Just because it's fun to say.

And I call myself that until I eat somethng with beef.

Do what keeps you healthy.
  • explosivedonut
    explosivedonut Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    Does it involve billions and billions and billions and billions of shrimp?

Get it seagan sagan...huh huh?

Shrimp, all the way down.
  • cfredz
    cfredz Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    dont get why it needs a label, just eat what you eat.
  • veganbettie
    veganbettie Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    if you're so concerned with labeling what your diet is, just call yourself a pescatarian. You don't get a badge for being a vegan.

I'm curious as to how you got sick? What was your diet like?

I've been vegan for 6 years, and vegan through my pregnancy, and vegan through breastfeeding, and so far everything has been perfect. My mother on the other hand has low levels of B12 and of Vit D, and she eats meat. No matter what you're diet choices are, you need to make sure you're eating balanced and smartly.
  • MikaMojito
    MikaMojito Posts: 680 Member
    Options

THIS.

Or just be an omnomnomnomnivore.
  • scunningham2012
    scunningham2012 Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    I've been vegan for over a year now and never fell ill from my diet (I did get the flu and the common cold but I've had a low immune system since I was young so that's typical of me).

To add extra precaution I take a multivitamin just be safe and make sure that it has B12 in it.

If anything, my health has improved since I've made the switch...however, it truly isn't for everyone and listen to your body. If you eat fish eat fish but you really don't have to label it.

Good luck and feel better!
  • themanda04
    themanda04 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    the only reason i put a label on my vegetarianism is that it's easier for *other* people to grasp. i'm not a strict veggie unless i'm eating with other people or dining out. i find they need the labels much more than i do. :)
  • recovery114
    Options
    I know you don't have to eat meat to be healthy and I know vegan diets can work. What I. Saying is I'm young, growing and trying to get strong and what I was doing DIDN'T work and so I have gone back to when I was healthy (when I was veggie, and had been since I was 12) so that I can improve my health and research more into the vegan diet.
    Also the restrictive nature of the diet exacerbated my ED and I thought it would be better if I were to beat that then be vegan rather than spend the rest of my life with an ED and completely miserable.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options

THIS.

Or just be an omnomnomnomnivore.

I love it.

I'm going to be omnomnomnomnomnivore. yes- that is me.
  • veganbettie
    veganbettie Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    the only reason i put a label on my vegetarianism is that it's easier for *other* people to grasp. i'm not a strict veggie unless i'm eating with other people or dining out. i find they need the labels much more than i do. :)

I agree, labels are more important for other people when describing our diets as a vegan or vegetarian, which is why it's more important to make sure we don't call ourselves vegans if we are eating fish. It tends to confuse people....you shouldn't live a lifestyle just for that label though, I dont' understand why people feel the need to call themselves something if they are still eating meat, even if it is just fish, it's so weird.