3:00 hunger pains

Options

Replies

• Julzanne72
    Julzanne72 Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    and there is still the question of what you are eating throughout the day? I think it would help if your diary was public. also how much water do you drink in a day?
  • cursiny
    cursiny Posts: 907 Member
    Options
    and there is still the question of what you are eating throughout the day? I think it would help if your diary was public. also how much water do you drink in a day?

I thought it was public. I will check on that.
    And today I had pizza for lunch! :(
    I have had 7 glasses of water today so far. Usually by end of day I am at 9-12
  • Julzanne72
    Options

Pizza isn't horrible, if you can fit it into your macros. Do you eat your exercise calories back?
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options

I get up at 515 and hit the gym for 45 minutes. Then home and get myself and kids ready for work/school. I eat egg beaters with veggies in it. Not good heated up. And feel like I need to replace protein after my am workouts.....

lol I eat that cold and or microwaved every day. I make 12 or more eggs with veggies in it on sunday and wednesday for my week- so they are all proportioned and ready to go. Totally a personal preference though. working in construction got me over cold eggs a long time ago- I only refuse to eat pasta cold... which is why i don't cook it and take it for left overs.

if that was me (and I realize it's not- so it's just a thought on how I would do this).. I would work out- drink a 10-12 oz milk + protein shake on my way home. do the kid thing.. have all my food ready to go- and leave for work.

then have another snack around 930/10. One of my favorites is protein mixed with greek yogurt and berries- I make my own- big tub of yogurt is 4-5 bucks roughly- berries are 2 for 5 or 2 for 7 and I can get a weeks worth of breakfast from those.

I like my berries heated then added- but if you just mix the protien and yogurt- then add berries on top the night before.. they are thawed and cool for breakfast. easy peasy lemon squeezey.

shake is easy- handles the food- tides you over and can be done on the way to or from somewhere.

I'm always SUPER famished after my AM workouts- so having something filling to eat right away is important to me!
  • cursiny
    Options

Pizza isn't horrible, if you can fit it into your macros. Do you eat your exercise calories back?

Lately, trying not too.
  • Julzanne72
    Options

Lately, trying not too.

Why not? You know when you set up your profile they give the calories you should eat w/out exercise to lose weight, and if you exercise you get more calories, you should eat them back, at lease some of them. I guarantee you when I work I out I am way hungrier and 1200-1300 calories would not cut it for me.
  • cursiny
    Options
    But I love my egg beaters breakfast. Maybe I should do the shake thing for breakfast and have the egg beaters for dinner. :)
  • cursiny
    Options
    I feel like eating back my exercise calories defeats the purpose of the exercise
  • plaz58
    plaz58 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Almonds are great for a snack - filling!
  • cursiny
    Options
    All these great ideas for afternoon / morning snacking. I guess I just need to plan better at the grocery store and at home before work!! :smile:
  • ashleyinthecold
    ashleyinthecold Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    Oh! As for breakfast, you might try doing what someone else said -- making the eggs at the beginning of the week if you have access to a microwave at work. I do muffin cups.... scramble eggs with veggies and bacon or turkey sausage and then portion it out in muffin cups and bake. Then I just warm up 2 in the morning. Each muffin usually runs around 100 calories (I use whole eggs, so egg whites/beaters might come out a little different). Super easy and very customizable! :)
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    drink a glass of water ...or keep some almonds in your desk ...
  • mapenguinkeeper
    Options
    this is why I always plan my calories to include an afternoon snack. currently noshing on half an asian pear. One of my favorite snacks is endive leaves and salsa instead of chips. Really satisfying and LOADS of filling fiber in the endive. My other 'go to' filling snack is saltless, mixed nuts. One of us in my group always has a bag in his/her drawer. Finally, coconut water - unflavored. 50 calories and LOADS of potassium.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    I feel like eating back my exercise calories defeats the purpose of the exercise

Nope it allows you to eat more so you're not starving your body. I can't see how that's not a huge benefit. Your calorie deficit is counted by default with MFP, by not eating exercise calories back you're just increasing the deficit, which isn't necessarily a good thing... your body needs fuel.

It's 4pm and I've already eaten 1250 calories or something. Still have plenty of calories for dinner (which is usually around 300 calories). But I make sure to be more active so I can eat more, I've lost 63 lbs in 9 months eating around 1650 calories and definitely not starving myself... and I 'only' have 15 lbs to lose at this point.
  • cursiny
    Options

Nope it allows you to eat more so you're not starving your body. I can't see how that's not a huge benefit. Your calorie deficit is counted by default with MFP, by not eating exercise calories back you're just increasing the deficit, which isn't necessarily a good thing... your body needs fuel.

It's 4pm and I've already eaten 1250 calories or something. Still have plenty of calories for dinner. But I make sure to be more active so I can eat more, I've lost 63 lbs in 9 months eating around 1650 calories and definitely not starving myself... and I 'only' have 15 lbs to lose at this point.

AWESOME JOB.
    (said with some jealousy) :mad:
  • R_Bedard
    R_Bedard Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    Try having foods that are higher in protein. My gym suggests 100g of protein minimum a day. When I started doing this I noticed I am full!
  • mapenguinkeeper
    Options
    Oh yeah, Michael Pollan (food god in my eyes) says "if you are not hungry enough to eat an apple, you are NOT hungry."
  • sunshyncatra
    sunshyncatra Posts: 598 Member
    Options
    Several options for the future:

- eat smaller meals so you can have a substantial snack
    - make sure you eat a balanced diet including fat, protein, and carbs
    - prepare extremely low calorie snacks like celery sticks for afternoon munchies...always have these snacks so you can stay away from the higher calorie temptations
    - drink more water or sip some yummy tea
  • SlimmingMeDown
    SlimmingMeDown Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    Ok so it is almost 3pm and I feel like I am starving, I know I am not, But trying hard not to raid the candy machine at work. UGGH

There is a difference between hunger pangs and cravings. If you're physically hungry, I think you should definitely eat something.

A raw apple, a hard-boiled egg or two, and two cups of water, will fill you up without a lot of calories.
  • cursiny
    Options
    Oh yeah, Michael Pollan (food god in my eyes) says "if you are not hungry enough to eat an apple, you are NOT hungry."

LOVE IT