Average cost for a personal trainer

Options
Good Morning,

I am thinking about getting a personal trainer. Can anyone give me the average cost for one, is it by the hour or the month?

Let me know what I should be asking when choosing one.

All help greatly appreciated:)

B

Replies

• abigailmagoo23
    Options
    My personal trainer goes by hour. She is cheap, $25.00 per hour from what I know $50 is about avg.
  • tesshaney
    tesshaney Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    I pay $300 for every 12 sessions. She also does a supplemental 8 week Yoga Bootcamp for an extra $150.
  • adedonder
    Options
    I had a personal trainer for two years. I belonged to the gym, then bought packages of sessions. The sessions were one hour long and I worked out with him twice a week. I purchased the largest packages available because that made them cheaper. But, even then, it averaged out to about $50/session. This was with a large, national chain. You might be able to find a better deal with a local, independent gym. I have even heard of personal trainers that come to your house, but they might be more expensive. I really liked having a personal trainer for a couple of reasons: the appointments were scheduled so I couldn't just decide I was tired and skip the workout, and he made me complete all of the reps on all of the exercises and thus pushed me harder than I would have pushed myself. But, you could hire a trainer for a short period of time to put together some workouts for you, then you could continue to do the workouts on your own. As far as what to ask, you just need to find someone you are comfortable with and who understands and agrees with you on your fitness goals.

I hope this helps.
  • Yarnpiggie
    Options
    I would suspect it depends on where you live and all that. My trainer is $30/session. He gave me one free when I bought 4, but I don't know that will continue. I "auditioned" a trainer that was about $75/session but they were private. They only did PT at their location and only one person at a time. I didn't like him well enough to pay that money, and I got over the idea of letting other people see me working out. :-) Most of the people I talked to regarding training were about $30/session though. I live in Nebraska.
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options
    depends on the location (different parts of a country...etc), the trainer's local reputation, and what kind of training they do. It can run anywhere from 20 bucks to 200 bucks (and higher for some of the "celebrity trainers"), but in general for a basic trainer who's decent and has the accreditations normally needed, it's between 35 and 75 bucks per hour.
  • MissingMinnesota
    MissingMinnesota Posts: 7,486 Member
    Options
    Mine is $200 a month for 2 30 min sessions a week so averages just under $25 a session. This is the trainer through the gym and they do specials so it depends. I know it was only $40 more a month to go from 1 session a week to 2.
  • JodiS75
    JodiS75 Posts: 284
    Options
    My trainer is $100/month for a weekly 30-40 minute session. I love her in a sick way...she kicks my butt and makes me want to puke :bigsmile:
  • carrieliz81
    carrieliz81 Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    Average cost for a personal trainer.....??? TOO MUCH!!!! No, I'm just kidding, I'm sure they deserve whatever they charge, it's just with my budget I can barely afford my gym membership! Personal trainer is on my list for when I become sickeningly rich. :)
  • FoxyD
    FoxyD Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I've been a trainer for 8 years and I can tell you that a quality trainer will run you anywhere between $50 to $100 depending on location (city, at home, gym, etc), how often you train, and their experience level. I definitely recommend you "try out" a variety of trainers before committing to one. You want to find one that motivates you, is knowledgeable about physiology, kinesiology, and good nutrition. Find the trainer that challenges you, incorporates cardiovascular with resistance training, and is concerned with your overall well-being and safety. There are a lot of trainers who really do not have the knowledge base or the experience to train (generally will charge a lot less but in the long run are a waste of money).

I do not recommend a bootcamp unless you have some basic level of fitness. It may discourage you and lead you to quit. Find a good trainer who can teach you to do it on your own eventually and motivate you to stick with it and get your butt moving!! 

Good luck! Dani
  • ka_42
    ka_42 Posts: 720 Member
    Options
    Average cost for a personal trainer.....??? TOO MUCH!!!! No, I'm just kidding, I'm sure they deserve whatever they charge, it's just with my budget I can barely afford my gym membership! Personal trainer is on my list for when I become sickeningly rich. :)

Lol! I agree.. I honestly think you don't need one! You can do this all yourself... I did!
  • Danicusrex
    Options
    If you are in Calgary, the going rate is between $65 to $85 an hour. But you can get group rates too which will half that. (That's what I'm doing!)
  • kaytheelite
    Options
    My trainer is only $320 a month. And I get 5, 1hour sessions each week. This is extremely cheap for personal training but he is awesome!
  • sunnysparkles16
    sunnysparkles16 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    $70 per hour. If it was less expensive I would have one right now. That amount on top of the nearly $100 monthly membership dues is out of my budget. I love my gym but wish personal training was more affordable.
  • vs1023
    vs1023 Posts: 417 Member
    Options
    Where i live anywhere from 40-60/hour. Sometimes if you purchase a bulk of sessions the price goes down. Many places do group personal training too. One I know is 99/month, some are 25 or 35/session for a group training.
  • sarahmax0817
    Options
    I just received my NASM certification for personal training. Started this summer and I love it! As I mentioned, I am brand new and live in a very small community. My rate is $30 an hour which is very comparable around here. Like others have said it really depends on where you live, the trainers experience/specialty, and the gym. I also go Group Fitness Boot Camp classes which are more affordable. Group Fitness classes may be a great option for you if you are on a budget, and don't be afraid to take the class at your own pace to stay in your comfort zone and prevent injury.
  • kathystrauss1
    kathystrauss1 Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    I live in Cleveland, OH and my trainer does group personal training for $135/month and thats for 3 one hour sessions per week. The groups are small and I kind of like it better than strictly one on one. I like a little bit of independence in my workouts.
  • portpaw
    portpaw Posts: 19
    Options
    I'm in NJ in the NYC Metro area, so I think we are a bit high. I pay $50 an hour for a trainer who comes to my office. She charges some of her other clients $60, depending on their location.

At the gym I used to go to (NY Sports Club), it was more like $75 or $80 for a one-hour session, depending on the package.
  • R_Bedard
    R_Bedard Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    The cheapest trainer at my gym is $50/hour. I think they goes as high as $120/hour
  • GregPerea
    Options
    you're better off with a beachbody program. No gym membership fees, no trainer fees. Quality dynamic effective workouts.

I've lost 12pounds and 10% body fat.

-Greg
  • 08JKgirl
    08JKgirl Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    My trainer costs $55/hr (in Canada) I go see her once a week at her own home private gym... she gives great advice and almost kills me each time. To me the money is worth it cause on Fridays I will think "crap I only have 5 days till i go see her again... i need to improve more" So it pushes me harder at home as well.