A buddy interested habit-based weight loss?

Options
New, looking for a friend to make changes with slowly and sustainably

Hello,

I am new to these forums. I am almost thirty, a mother of two, and about 20 lbs overweight. In the past, I have tried extreme diets like the high protein diets (which are really boring if you're already veg. - how much tofu can one eat in a day), raw vegan diets, very complicated diet plans, and fasting, which did not work out for me (I lost as much lean muscle mass as fat - just my personal experience). At one point, I also belonged to a 12 Step program, which I have every respect for, but which in my case did not work very well because it decreased my self-esteem and made me feel helpless all the time (perhaps just the dynamics of my local group).

What I have learned from my experiences is that I need to make changes slowly. Rapid weight loss is not sustainable for me. I truly believe that I can change my habits and become a healthier person if I tackle each habit with care, determination, and a strong understanding of the "why", one by one. I only have so much CPU and can't seem to hold more than one new habit in my brain for long periods of time as the habit becomes learned.

The habits that have lead to me gaining weight include: too much fat (both dairy and nuts), too much sugar (both refined and high fruit), eating when not hungry, overeating during meals, and not getting enough rest, which compromises my decision making. My goal is to eventually move over to a low-fat, low-sugar, ethnically inspired vegan diet that employs the good eating hygiene of traditional cultures (sitting meals, not overeating, not grazing, etc).

My first step will be to work on not overeating during meals. I chose it because it seems like the easiest to tackle first and I have read many times that when you want to make big changes, you should start with the steps that seems the easiest first. My go-to sources for inspiration and help with the mental side of change include writers like Dr. Kelly McGonigal and jouralist Leo Babauta.

Is there anyone else at this place? Would you like to exchange with me and support one another?

Replies

• Leeia0000
    Leeia0000 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Hey Mcpinier!

I am in the same place. I am work and do go school full time, so I have picked up some bad habits (and 60 lbs). I have struggled with my weight most of my life, even when I was in the Navy, vegetarian and ran 5 miles per day, 5 days per week. I am a yo-yo dieter as well. I lose weight, get into shape, but I would hit this plateau and get discouraged. Then I would get overwhelmed with the pressure to stay in shape for my job and TONS of advice on what I was doing wrong. I am an emotional eater, so the more overwhelmed I got, the more I ate, and the less I got out of bed.

I have also come to the same conclusion as you because I am too busy and I do not have the patience for someone else's complicated standards! I have recently started switching to natural and homemade toiletries and cosmetics using this gradual method. I have been very successful with this despite my lack of time for making these products! I am almost completely homemade and natural!

Should we just have our own habit per (x) days?

I would like to do this with you!

Leeia
  • mcpinier
    Options
    Thanks Leeia! Yes, let's try that, I would prefer via email. Mine is my username at gmail. Let's help keep committed to our long term goal by taking on our bad habits one at a time. Mine for this month is eating beyond fullness at mealtimes.