Best routine for men to tone up?

Options
What is the best work out for men to tone up. I spent almost 2 hr in the gym 3-4 days a week and nothing seems to get the fat off . I don't want to get muscle bound I just want to show off what I got. Any routines out there you guys recommend other then video I fill like a tard doing those videos.

Replies

• tonynguyen75
    tonynguyen75 Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    What is the best work out for men to tone up. I spent almost 2 hr in the gym 3-4 days a week and nothing seems to get the fat off . I don't want to get muscle bound I just want to show off what I got. Any routines out there you guys recommend other then video I fill like a tard doing those videos.

Calorie deficit with enough protein in your diet. Next question.
  • mudbugs07
    mudbugs07 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    How much protein?
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    How much protein?

At least 1g for every kg of body weight, more won't hurt. (Protein and carbs both provide 4 cal per g so if you're not doing endurance sports you can bump up the protein and cut back a bit on carbs.....and this is coming from a runner who loves carbs...)
  • tonynguyen75
    tonynguyen75 Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    How much protein?

~1g of protein per lb of body weight, doesn't haven't to be exactly that much some over or under isn't the end of the world.

I personally hit 130-170g @ 165 lbs.
  • djeffreys10
    djeffreys10 Posts: 2,312 Member
    Options
    Also lift heavy at least 3x per week, hitting everything at least once during the split. You want to hold on to your muscle while you cut. If you don't give your body a reason to keep the muscle (i.e. lifting weights), it will shed muscle as well as fat. Leaving you skinny fat.
  • spinedocmfp
    spinedocmfp Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    You can find well designed routines on muscleandstrength.com. Pick one of the fat burning workouts that fits your equipment and gym lay out and you are good. The biggest way to show your muscles off is low body fat, which means you have to watch your diet. If you are working out hard, you should get in and out in about an hour, cutting your gym time in half.
  • Rayman79
    Rayman79 Posts: 2,009 Member
    Options
    These guys have given you good advice. Training in the gym will do little to help you shed fat, that is what eating at a caloric deficit does.

Eat 1 - 1.2g protein for each lb of body weight, get adequate fats (.3 - .5g per lb) and maintain a deficit in calories between 10-25% of your TDEE. (the deficit you can get away with will be determined by your individual genetics and how lean you are. If you are leaner you should have a lower deficit).

Do a full body, or something close to, training routine 3 x week.

Be patient.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    How much protein?

Guidelines are all over the place. Closest you'll get to a consensus is at least 1g of protein for every pound of lean body mass (ie, your fat-free weight).

But from your OP, I think the first question should be "how few calories".
  • RobP1192
    RobP1192 Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    2 hours in the gym, 3-4 days a week. Are you lifting weights? Maybe you're just going through the motions instead of lifting hard.
  • mustgetmuscles1
    mustgetmuscles1 Posts: 3,346 Member
    Options
    There is no best way really. "Tone up" usually means shed body fat while maintaining/growing muscle. The best way to do that is 3 things.

A small calorie deficit.
    A good amount of protein
    A resistance training program at least three days per week.