Artificial sweeteners?

Options

Replies

• ThickMcRunFast
    ThickMcRunFast Posts: 22,511 Member
    Options
    My husband made me stop eating or drinking stuff with aspartame and sucralose. He saw one of his clients that happens to be a doctor and they were just chit chatting. The topic of artificial sweeteners came up and I guess the doctor told him that a majority of his patients that have cancer or major health issues drink diet soda. It seems to be super common theme. He cant say that is what has caused the problems but it is something that when he asks, almost all of them do.
    It makes you wonder.
    My husband came home and threw out my crystal light (I hardly ever drink soda) LOL! He told me that he wants me around for a long time and its not worth it to save a few calories.

Just a side note. Sucralose is treated with chlorine...Yup, that's what your eating and probably why it tastes so bad...

maybe your husband should be the one debating this
  • crevices
    crevices Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    i use them for the purpose of just reducing my calorie intake. i only sweeten my oatmeal and drink diet sodas so i'm not intaking large quantities either way but i believe people freak out over it too much lol meanwhile they're probably eating foods that contain an ingredient list composed of pure chemicals/stuff that is "bad" for you.
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options
    My husband made me stop eating or drinking stuff with aspartame and sucralose. He saw one of his clients that happens to be a doctor and they were just chit chatting. The topic of artificial sweeteners came up and I guess the doctor told him that a majority of his patients that have cancer or major health issues drink diet soda. It seems to be super common theme. He cant say that is what has caused the problems but it is something that when he asks, almost all of them do.
    It makes you wonder.
    My husband came home and threw out my crystal light (I hardly ever drink soda) LOL! He told me that he wants me around for a long time and its not worth it to save a few calories.

Just a side note. Sucralose is treated with chlorine...Yup, that's what your eating and probably why it tastes so bad...

139092366_ce5b410228_o.jpg

1) It's on a graph so it must be legit! It's like how I now eat more ice ceam/gelato than ever before and am losing weight: Clearly Ice Cream is a Magical weight loss product.

A. If my husband touches my little sugar/flavoring packets he gets put in the hallway. There aren't many rules but "Don't touch my diet Soda/Splenda/Ocean Spray packets!" is one of them.
  • Cranquistador
    Cranquistador Posts: 39,744 Member
    Options
    Yay or nay?
    And if not, why not?

Wanting to know a little more, so if someone has facts for me- or can point me in the direction of some- that would be helpful.

Thanks
    My shoprite has some.
  • shining_light
    shining_light Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    Nay for me, but only because they trigger me to overeat. I have no opinion on other people's use of them. If they help/don't hinder people in reaching their goals, I say go for it. Doesn't work for me, but it works for lots of people.
  • wallacehk
    Options
    Yay or nay?
    And if not, why not?

Wanting to know a little more, so if someone has facts for me- or can point me in the direction of some- that would be helpful.

Thanks
    My shoprite has some.

Such wit. I'm in New Zealand, so no help to me.
  • Cranquistador
    Options
    It makes you wonder.

this is just so much NO
  • Cranquistador
    Options
    Yay or nay?
    And if not, why not?

Thanks
    My shoprite has some.

Such wit. I'm in New Zealand, so no help to me.
    :laugh: :laugh: :flowerforyou:
  • ArroganceInStep
    ArroganceInStep Posts: 6,239 Member
    Options
    I'm a type 1 diabetic so I use sweeteners in my coffee and I drink Diet soda. I'm also a Dietitian. Most of the research that had come out in the past about linking sweeteners to cancer are not viable for the general population. The amount of the straight chemicals from the sweeteners into itty bitty mice/rats are pretty close to unobtainable in a normal persons diet.

The type of sweetener is a person preference. For more natural option look at Truvia (green) or even buying a Stevia plant, Splenda (yellow) which is just the flip of the glucose molecule so it does not get digested. I prefer Equal (blue) myself. then you also have sweet n low (pink)

This is some information on Aspartame that is commonly mistaken.

1)Reports of the ingestion of aspartame in patients who later have suffered MS or systemic Lupus is not scientifically sustainable evidence that aspartame is responsible for the occurrence of the disease. Both of these disorders are subject to spontaneous remissions and exacerbations so it’s entirely possible that when a patient stopped using aspartame they might have also coincidentally have had remission of their symptoms.
    2) The claim that aspartame ingestions results in the production of methanol, formaldehyde and formate are factual. In the Intestinal tract aspartame is hydrolyzed to one of its component materials, methanol, as well as the 2 amino acids phenylalanine and aspartic acid. This methanol is taken up by the cells of the body and metabolized first to formaldehyde the to formate. They key information missing is that the levels of ingestion are very modest. In fact, there are other foodstuffs that we ingest that supply as much and sometimes more methanol—citrus fruits & juices, tomatoes, or tomato juice. There are even higher quantities of methanol ingested when ethanol (alcohol) is consumed.
    3) The claim that phenylalanine and aspartic acid have neurotoxin effects is true in certain individuals in high enough doses. The only sub-population of individuals potentially susceptible to adverse effects from phenylalanine is homozygous phenylketonuric and in this case food itself with much higher levels of phenylalanine from the protein in our diets contributes much higher toxicity for these unfortunate individuals. The USFDA requires that the aspartame product be labeled specially for phenylketonuric patients so that they will be aware of the presence in the product. As for Aspartic Acid-the amount ingested from aspartame are many fold less than those levels responsible for causing adverse effects on the brain of animals or man.
    4) There have been numerous studies done on both animals and humans for the link of aspartame and seizures. In studies done with those adults & children with pre-existing seizures, there was no evidence of contributing to the frequency of occurrence or severity of seizures.
    5) There was no evidence among the comprehensive studies that aspartame-mediated effects on the experimental animals at doses many times higher than those to which the human population is exposed.
    6) The claim that aspartame can increase the incidence of brain tumors in the human population has been thoroughly refuted by both government and academic scientists.

Damn, I wouldn't want to be your client. A dietitian that endorses "food like products" that are treated with chlorine instead of real food. I am shocked.

I'm sorry but I believe the more we introduce these products, the sicker people get. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to see that.

I believe you're wrong and know nothing of the subject. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to see that.
  • bettermistakes87
    bettermistakes87 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I'm going to avoid the battle between the two sides and just give my own personal experience with the stuff. I drank diet sodas and generally enjoyed all manner of artificial sweeteners for at least 10 years, but starting in 2012 I started having terrible reactions to it. First started with just regular gas -embarrassing, but manageable. Then it got worse and became extreme intestinal discomfort involving cramps that would last for days as well as headaches, and general misery. I now avoid anything with artificial sweeteners including stevia because its just not worth the pain.
  • ArroganceInStep
    ArroganceInStep Posts: 6,239 Member
    Options
    I'm going to avoid the battle between the two sides and just give my own personal experience with the stuff. I drank diet sodas and generally enjoyed all manner of artificial sweeteners for at least 10 years, but starting in 2012 I started having terrible reactions to it. First started with just regular gas -embarrassing, but manageable. Then it got worse and became extreme intestinal discomfort involving cramps that would last for days as well as headaches, and general misery. I now avoid anything with artificial sweeteners including stevia because its just not worth the pain.

I had similar issues with monogamy.
  • 0somuchbetter0
    0somuchbetter0 Posts: 1,335 Member
    Options
    Nay because they taste bad.
  • 0somuchbetter0
    0somuchbetter0 Posts: 1,335 Member
    Options

LOL!
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options

Don't we all?
  • RhonndaJ
    RhonndaJ Posts: 1,615 Member
    Options
    I use artificial sweeteners and have for years with no issues.
  • kgreenRDLDN
    kgreenRDLDN Posts: 248 Member
    Options

That can happen as we age our bodies change. That's why as a kid you may have no food allergies then as an adult you start to notice reactions to certain foods. I myself cannot eat sugar free chocolate-it gives me a horrible migraine within an hour that nothing will touch.

If you are ever looking to avoid sugar, you may want to try just the Stevia plant. Its leaves are what Truvia is made out of and they taste just like sugar, but totally natural.
  • kgreenRDLDN
    Options
    I'm a type 1 diabetic so I use sweeteners in my coffee and I drink Diet soda. I'm also a Dietitian. Most of the research that had come out in the past about linking sweeteners to cancer are not viable for the general population. The amount of the straight chemicals from the sweeteners into itty bitty mice/rats are pretty close to unobtainable in a normal persons diet.

The type of sweetener is a person preference. For more natural option look at Truvia (green) or even buying a Stevia plant, Splenda (yellow) which is just the flip of the glucose molecule so it does not get digested. I prefer Equal (blue) myself. then you also have sweet n low (pink)

1)Reports of the ingestion of aspartame in patients who later have suffered MS or systemic Lupus is not scientifically sustainable evidence that aspartame is responsible for the occurrence of the disease. Both of these disorders are subject to spontaneous remissions and exacerbations so it’s entirely possible that when a patient stopped using aspartame they might have also coincidentally have had remission of their symptoms.
    2) The claim that aspartame ingestions results in the production of methanol, formaldehyde and formate are factual. In the Intestinal tract aspartame is hydrolyzed to one of its component materials, methanol, as well as the 2 amino acids phenylalanine and aspartic acid. This methanol is taken up by the cells of the body and metabolized first to formaldehyde the to formate. They key information missing is that the levels of ingestion are very modest. In fact, there are other foodstuffs that we ingest that supply as much and sometimes more methanol—citrus fruits & juices, tomatoes, or tomato juice. There are even higher quantities of methanol ingested when ethanol (alcohol) is consumed.
    3) The claim that phenylalanine and aspartic acid have neurotoxin effects is true in certain individuals in high enough doses. The only sub-population of individuals potentially susceptible to adverse effects from phenylalanine is homozygous phenylketonuric and in this case food itself with much higher levels of phenylalanine from the protein in our diets contributes much higher toxicity for these unfortunate individuals. The USFDA requires that the aspartame product be labeled specially for phenylketonuric patients so that they will be aware of the presence in the product. As for Aspartic Acid-the amount ingested from aspartame are many fold less than those levels responsible for causing adverse effects on the brain of animals or man.
    4) There have been numerous studies done on both animals and humans for the link of aspartame and seizures. In studies done with those adults & children with pre-existing seizures, there was no evidence of contributing to the frequency of occurrence or severity of seizures.
    5) There was no evidence among the comprehensive studies that aspartame-mediated effects on the experimental animals at doses many times higher than those to which the human population is exposed.
    6) The claim that aspartame can increase the incidence of brain tumors in the human population has been thoroughly refuted by both government and academic scientists.

Damn, I wouldn't want to be your client. A dietitian that endorses "food like products" that are treated with chlorine instead of real food. I am shocked.

I'm sorry but I believe the more we introduce these products, the sicker people get. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to see that.

You can ask any Dietitian and they will neither recommend it or tell you do not eat it. it is a personal choice, however if you actually do your research you will see that the more processed foods and as the years have gone on overweight and obesity rates have climbed, thus causing more disease processes to show up in people. There is no direct correlation between an artificial sweetener and cancer, or neurologic disorders. Most of the studies that said it was linked were either animal studies that used an amount versus size that in a human would be almost unobtainable unless you drink 1-2 24 packs of diet soda a day for 5-10 years. The other studies did not look at predisposition for these conditions, like seizure or cancer so they cannot be reliable.
  • kgreenRDLDN
    Options

I would be her client in a heartbeat. She's smart enough to understand that correlation does not imply causation, knows how to read actual studies (not just one doctor's anecdotal data), and isn't swayed by alarmism.

Thank you very much. I try to stay informed on things that both pertain to my profession as well as my personal heath being a type 1 diabetic.
  • willdob3
    willdob3 Posts: 640 Member
    Options
    I can't say I ever had a noticeable negative side effect from any AS.

I eliminated aspartame based on studies and questionable safety. I used Splenda for a long time then eliminated it for similar reasons. I was gradually moving toward more natural nutrition. I have used pure stevia powder extract as my sweetener for a long time.

None of the changes made any difference that I could tell. No increased weight loss, no bad things like migraines that disappeared when I eliminated AS. I feel better about putting more natural foods in my body. That is important to me.
  • becky10rp
    becky10rp Posts: 573 Member
    Options
    My personal experience: aspartame use leads to debilitating migraines in me. Half a can of aspartame sweetened diet soda is all it takes. Therefore, I do not use aspartame. I have not had reactions to small amounts of sucralose or saccharine. The powdered form of stevia also seems to be okay.

Other than aspartame, I choose not to use the others because I don't like the taste. I'd rather drink my coffee and tea unsweetened. I eat my yogurt plain with a little fruit. I don't typically drink soda. If I choose to indulge, I prefer to eat the same stuff my great-grandmother would have eaten.

this - I get KILLER migraines if I eat any artificial sweeteners - so it's just not worth it............I don't drink soda, put a tiny amount of real sugar in my morning coffee - just can't deal with ANYTHING that brings about a migraine!