When do you notice??

Options
When did you start to notice you've lost weight. I lost 7lb and couldn't notice and was really disappointing.. I KNOW I'm so big you wouldn't be able to notice anyways, but I oculdn't help but not notice that I couldn't see any change.

So, I'm asking.. When was it actually noticeable when you lost weight?

Also, Is it a good idea to measure inches also?

Replies

• EllenKay63
    EllenKay63 Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    Even if the scale moved downward, it wasn't until my jeans started to feel loose that I really noticed.
  • salsera_barbie
    salsera_barbie Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    when I could it into my work slacks without feeling like my spleen was about to burst.
  • ChristineinMA
    ChristineinMA Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    I lost weight in my face and neck in the beginning. I even noticed that the backs of my hands were no longer 'rounded'. I would say about 10 lbs is when I really noticed.
  • ChristineinMA
    ChristineinMA Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    Good idea to measure yourself with a tape measure and take pictures. Often others can see the difference in pictures the changes that we can't see
  • I_Will_End_You
    I_Will_End_You Posts: 4,397 Member
    Options
    Around 8lbs.
  • MizSookeh
    MizSookeh Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    I've also lost 7 pounds, as of my weekly weigh-in this morning. I don't notice it when I look at myself, however a top I bought a couple of weeks back is already feeling looser on me.
    So yay!

That's about it though. It makes me happy, but I knew not to expect people to stop and stare and say OMG YOU'VE LOST WEIGHT! That's probably a good 15-20 pounds away yet.
  • LurveTheDoctor
    Options
    I've also lost 7 pounds, as of my weekly weigh-in this morning. I don't notice it when I look at myself, however a top I bought a couple of weeks back is already feeling looser on me.
    So yay!

That's about it though. It makes me happy, but I knew not to expect people to stop and stare and say OMG YOU'VE LOST WEIGHT! That's probably a good 15-20 pounds away yet.

My husband said "Of course you won't notice.. You've got so much extra!! " I was like.. RUDE.. wait.. no he's right.
  • MillyFleurs
    MillyFleurs Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    At first it was just a decision to do better and eat healthier so I wasn't really paying attention. I noticed my pants getting looser but I thought maybe I was just over washing them. Then a ring I wear all the time started twisting around by itself and phalanges don't lie so I stepped on the scale and I was down somewhere between 10-15 pounds so I started working out. My friends didn't really start to notice until I was down about 20-25 pounds (pre-MFP) and then they just commented on my face, but now they talk about how I'm shrinking. The changes I noticed personally in my figure are coming slowly and in pieces, so far mostly in my butt and thighs and back, but when I started I was doing a LOT of squats. I switched up my program and am noticing my torso starting to change.
    And yes, break out that measuring tape and take some pictures! Don't make my mistake in that department, haha.
  • LurveTheDoctor
    Options
    At first it was just a decision to do better and eat healthier so I wasn't really paying attention. I noticed my pants getting looser but I thought maybe I was just over washing them. Then a ring I wear all the time started twisting around by itself and phalanges don't lie so I stepped on the scale and I was down somewhere between 10-15 pounds so I started working out. My friends didn't really start to notice until I was down about 20-25 pounds (pre-MFP) and then they just commented on my face, but now they talk about how I'm shrinking. The changes I noticed personally in my figure are coming slowly and in pieces, so far mostly in my butt and thighs and back, but when I started I was doing a LOT of squats. I switched up my program and am noticing my torso starting to change.
    And yes, break out that measuring tape and take some pictures! Don't make my mistake in that department, haha.

I need to find a measuring tape.. I bought one for 99c at target and my DD ran off with it. >.<
  • MillyFleurs
    MillyFleurs Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    They have cheap pink ones at Kroger all the time! I'm a sucker for pretty colours.
  • MadBabysMama
    MadBabysMama Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    [/quote]

My husband said "Of course you won't notice.. You've got so much extra!! " I was like.. RUDE.. wait.. no he's right.
    [/quote]

This made me laugh!

Oh and I bought a pink measuring tape for sewing at a drugstore like CVS or Walgreen's
  • Celuwen
    Celuwen Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I knew I was losing weight, but for me I didn't really physically see it in the mirror until I'd lost about 3 stone (42 lb). I'd gone down a few clothing sizes and I knew my measurements were smaller as well as the number on the scale changing for the better. Other people could see it much sooner than I did (around 28lbs).
  • geekyjock76
    geekyjock76 Posts: 2,720 Member
    Options
    Use a variety of metrics to assess progress. Take girth circumference measurements with a tape measure; take clear progress photos in the same lighting conditions wearing the same outfit (until it is too tight to wear); take body fat measurements; monitor fitness related improvements such as increased strength and stamina.

People who focus too much on scale weight end up rather paranoid and mentally unstable when the scale doesn't accurately reflect the total changes one is actually experiencing.
  • Ed98043
    Ed98043 Posts: 1,333 Member
    Options
    7 lbs is a lot of mass if you looked at it separately - the size of a smallish cat, or 28 sticks of butter, or almost a gallon of water. So be proud of your loss!

I didn't really notice much change until I lost about 15 lbs. Even then I felt the same but my pants were getting baggy in the butt. After 20 lbs there was noticeable difference in my progress photos (I take new photos every 10 lbs).

And right or not, that wasn't the most tactful thing for your husband to say. :grumble:
  • tx_mom72
    Options
    Yes measure! And definitely take pics! I had a co-worker take a pic to do a side by side because everyone was making comments. Yes I had just bought a size smaller but I still couldn't see it! But when I made the side by side? Oh wow! It just re-motivated me & let me know I was really doing it this time!
  • susanrechter
    susanrechter Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    I have heard that you have to lose 10% of your body weight to start seeing a difference. Much of the weight loss is visceral (internal around your organs) loss and water weight. I noticed after 13lbs, my pants got looser and my jackets button again! I did take measurements all the time when I first started mfp, but the inches were slow to reveal the changes and I plateaued, so I stopped measuring. Now I have lost 13lbs and I am going to measure tomorrow morning. Hope to see some changes. Good luck and stay the course.
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    Definitely measure.

I noticed it in my pants fitting looser, probably around 15 lbs. Physically, I can just now *barely* tell the difference. I take progress pics every 30 days. I can tell the difference from June to October, but if I compare July/Aug/Sept to Oct, I don't see the difference. On the measuring tape though, I've lost several inches (don't ask me how many, cause I haven't kept a running tally of it... but I know my waist has lost at least 2").

It will all come in good time. :)
  • LurveTheDoctor
    Options
    I took pictures.. but I'm to scared to post them to ask if anyone can tell haha
  • desertSNOUT
    Options
    I better not say what I am going to say then as far as noticing anything <.<

However is there anyone you know what you don't see often? I haven't tried that yet. Also I heard taking tape measurements can be revealing in some cases but you need to allow a two week gap in between measurements.
  • lorihalsted
    lorihalsted Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    I couldn't really tell (or anybody else for that matter) until I had lost about 45-50 pounds. I started well over 300 lbs and am only 5'1".