Depression and Getting in Shape

Options
I'm not trying to lose weight, but I do want to get in shape and be healthier in terms of my food choices. But I'm struggling with depression at the moment and it is so hard some days just to get out of bed. Is anyone else dealing with this? How do you stick to an exercise routine or get yourself out the door? Some days are great and I have energy, but others I'm just tired and lethargic. Exercise obviously makes me feel better, but on the bad days I barely even move.

Replies

• DaRealMcKoy
    DaRealMcKoy Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Sometimes you have to fight one battle at a time. From my experience it's important to get yourself mentally well as the 1st priority. While exercise can benefit mild depression, it is not the answer for deep depression. I hope you are sharing your experience with your doctor so as to get help with your depression.

Feel better soon.
  • piratesaregrand
    piratesaregrand Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    Yep.

My rule is I have to go to the gym, get changed and do 10 minutes then I'm free to leave.

I've left at the 20 minute mark once, but only because I was sick and should never have gone in the first place, every other day I've stayed for 45 minutes plus
  • NRSPAM
    NRSPAM Posts: 961 Member
    Options
    Everyone struggles with some depression, to some extent, I think. It might be best for you to get a routine going, and stick to it. Taking a shower and getting dressed and ready for the day, first thing in the morning, really helps, usually. Do some stretching and light exercise, and then see how you feel. Routine is key, even if you don't feel like it. There are plenty of days, when I feel tired, and hurting, and just plain like crap, but I make myself get off my butt and go workout anyways. I always feel so much better afterward. Good luck. :flowerforyou:
  • Nicolee_2014
    Nicolee_2014 Posts: 1,572 Member
    Options
    I've not had depression so I can't relate at all. I just hope that you find the umph that you need & get out there. Exercise can really lift your mood especially listening to some upbeat music.

Good luck :flowerforyou:
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    Do you have a buddy or a partner who understands your situation? It can help to have someone drag you up and out when you're stuck. :flowerforyou:

I like the idea from the previous poster - "I only have to stay 10 minutes..." then you end up feeling better and staying the whole time. :drinker:
  • benol1
    benol1 Posts: 867 Member
    Options
    Hi Africanstardust,
    I'm not trying to lose weight, but I do want to get in shape and be healthier in terms of my food choices. But I'm struggling with depression at the moment and it is so hard some days just to get out of bed. Is anyone else dealing with this? How do you stick to an exercise routine or get yourself out the door? Some days are great and I have energy, but others I'm just tired and lethargic. Exercise obviously makes me feel better, but on the bad days I barely even move.

I've lived with depression for most of my life.
    Firstly, if you haven't already done so - go see a professional. If you had a broken leg - you wouldn't hesitate to get professional medical attention. Depression is no different. It is a disease and it can be treated, and is treated very effectively by a range and a combination of therapies.
    I have a whole-of-life approach to my wellbeing that includes medication for my depressive illness. I also go to the gym and engage in regular high-intensity exercise, I have adopted a wholefood plant-based (vegan) diet, and I am a long-term practitioner of meditation. On top of that, I maintain important relationships in my life and ensure that I have good sleep routine. The vast majority of my days I feel on top of the world. One of the great surprises to me was just how profound an effect diet has on mood.
    Feel free to friend me if you wish to find out more or just looking for support.
    kind regards,

Ben
  • Nix_Way
    Nix_Way Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    I agree with DaRealMckoy. Have you talked to your doc about how you are feeling? I couldn't get going on my weight loss journey until I got help with my social anxiety and panic attacks. After I was on a couple different RXs and started to feel better I was able to handle the everyday struggle of eating better and exercising. I know that exercising helps depression to some extent, but I would really recommnd going to your doc. You don't have to feel this way! :flowerforyou:
  • africanstardust
    africanstardust Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone, I like those ideas! I know a routine is really important, so I'll definitely try and get into one so I'm not just floating around aimlessly. I think it needs to be a habit so that I don't even think about it, but just do it.

I am in counseling at the moment and she mentioned anti-depressants, but I'd really like to avoid taking meds if it's at all possible. My eating habits are pretty healthy and I'm taking a break from my studies at the moment to give myself a chance to get back on my feet, and luckily I have a good support system. Unfortunately none of my friends are really into exercising, so in that area it's a bit lonely, but I think I can do it if I get into a routine.

@Ben thanks for that, it's very encouraging to hear that you feel good most of the time even though you struggle with this. I do think I need to change some things about my lifestyle...meds are a last resort for me so I really need to focus on living a better lifestyle.
  • Kevalicious99
    Kevalicious99 Posts: 1,131 Member
    Options
    I have had depression for as long as I can remember .. and I just recently have started going to the gym. All I can say is "WOW" ... the difference is amazing. I am going to be quitting my anti-depressants very soon (as soon as my doctor gives me the ok) .. and just work my *** off at the gym.

I really would recommend doing a regular exercise program .. as it makes a huge difference. I know all about not wanting to get out of bed .. and eating and eating cause you are depressed.

But I think you will find that getting some good exercise will do you wonders.
  • pcastagner
    pcastagner Posts: 1,606 Member
    Options
    I have had the debilitating kind.

If it breaks, do everything you can to make the gym something that soothes you. I did that, and have been stable almost a year now.
  • benol1
    benol1 Posts: 867 Member
    Options
    Hi Africanstardust,
    Thanks everyone, I like those ideas! I know a routine is really important, so I'll definitely try and get into one so I'm not just floating around aimlessly. I think it needs to be a habit so that I don't even think about it, but just do it.

I am in counseling at the moment and she mentioned anti-depressants, but I'd really like to avoid taking meds if it's at all possible. My eating habits are pretty healthy and I'm taking a break from my studies at the moment to give myself a chance to get back on my feet, and luckily I have a good support system. Unfortunately none of my friends are really into exercising, so in that area it's a bit lonely, but I think I can do it if I get into a routine.

@Ben thanks for that, it's very encouraging to hear that you feel good most of the time even though you struggle with this. I do think I need to change some things about my lifestyle...meds are a last resort for me so I really need to focus on living a better lifestyle.

I completely understand your reluctance not to go down the path of medication. When it was first suggested to me, I didn't want to know about it. I thought I would be a failure as a human being for taking them. But the truth is - they made life endurable. Medication for me was a stepping stone. Certainly, keep your counsellor in the loop but you do what is right for you. Exercise, routine, a good dietary regime - they are really important and I encourage you to make them a permanent part of your life.
    kind regards,

Ben
  • anemoneprose
    anemoneprose Posts: 1,805 Member
    Options
    it's been a long time since i felt the way you describe; i feel very different now, and can only remember it a little. i didn't try exercise at that time, and i can't say to what extent i would have been able to follow the advice i'm giving now, so apologies if it sounds ridiculous.

but:

- i would try to make exercise the number one goal of the day, even if it takes 2 hours to get the goal accomplished.

- break the process down into parts:
    1) wash face
    2) eat breakfast
    3) put workout clothes on (or in bag)
    4) get shoes

- use one or three alarms if waking up is a problem. improving awareness of time in general may be useful. i am not naturally organized, and can get lost in things. i have a watch that beeps on the hour. it makes me notice what i'm doing when it beeps - i know an hour has passed; if i'm not doing something i wanted to do, just this can nudge me back on track.

- work out no matter how you feel. this has been my most important revelation learned through weight loss: habit is much more important and reliable than mood, and habit can change mood. even in a non-depressed state, in the first month or so, it was sometimes not easy to get over the hurdle of getting moving. (after about a month, it was much easier.) those times, i might say to myself: "you know you feel bad. you also know that working out will make you feel better. do the thing that makes you feel better."

- still, some days are easier than others. pick a few kinds of exercise to have ready in mind for bad days. Could be a few DVDs on days you don't want to leave home, maybe a couple of shorter ones (30 minutes). Could be an easy walk outside on days you have low physical energy. (Walking outside is great for lifting mood btw, because of how our brains respond to sunlight and patterns in eg leaves, grass (if you have a park near you); plus the rhythm of walking, to your own heartbeat, can put you in a different frame of mind; plus you are seeing different distracting events unfold as you walk (birds flying near; children) - this can help take you out of a ruminative mood.)

pick a gym very near your place, as near as possible, to eliminate as many obstacles as possible.

good luck, & take care
  • africanstardust
    Options
    Hi Africanstardust,

I completely understand your reluctance not to go down the path of medication. When it was first suggested to me, I didn't want to know about it. I thought I would be a failure as a human being for taking them. But the truth is - they made life endurable. Medication for me was a stepping stone. Certainly, keep your counsellor in the loop but you do what is right for you. Exercise, routine, a good dietary regime - they are really important and I encourage you to make them a permanent part of your life.
    kind regards,

Ben

Definitely...if I have to I'll take them...but I'm definitely going to try the other stuff first :)
    it's been a long time since i felt the way you describe; i feel very different now, and can only remember it a little. i didn't try exercise at that time, and i can't say to what extent i would have been able to follow the advice i'm giving now, so apologies if it sounds ridiculous.

This is all good advice, thanks. It really confirms that a routine is important, and I know that I've been lacking a good routine so I'm going to work on that. I think that I haven't realized how important exercise is to my mood until recently and I'm going to make it a priority. Glad you're doing better now.
  • FixIngMe13
    FixIngMe13 Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    I've struggled with depression most of my life also. It even gets to the point I don't function and stay in bed most of the day. If I could afford to see a doctor and medicine I certainly would... so I've been reading a lot and trying to help myself.

First off... what I notice the most... is my choice of food has a LOT to do with my moods. Heavy carbs tend to make me more depressed and keep me in that frame of mind. Exercise helps a LOT. I have to MAKE myself some days get up and go walk or go to the gym, but when I do, and I follow it with good food choices (not heavy carbs) I see a huge difference in my moods.

Maybe try that and see if it works for you? I do wish you the very best. :flowerforyou:
  • anemoneprose
    anemoneprose Posts: 1,805 Member
    Options
    This is all good advice, thanks. It really confirms that a routine is important, and I know that I've been lacking a good routine so I'm going to work on that. I think that I haven't realized how important exercise is to my mood until recently and I'm going to make it a priority. Glad you're doing better now.

Thank you - I hope the same happens for you soon :)

I did try medication for a few years. I did not like it and stopped after 2, but can't say how it affected me, for better or worse, in the long run. It did not materially change my situation on its own, whatever it did.

The most dramatic changes, I think, happened with changes in environment and people around me... just life, I guess. Some of those changes were self-driven; many were down to accident. Some were clearly good at the time, like lucking into a job through connections; it happened to suit me & my boss happened to be great. (However, I only got serious about even getting off the couch at all [or bathing, etc] because my living situation had gotten worse for reasons nothing to do with me; that interrupted my numbness. It ended up for the better.) Some were terrible (a horrible long-term relationship - that was one of mine, lol), but wound up having beneficial effects later on (i.e., my survival instinct kicked in and stuck).

I think the things keeping me in good shape day to day in recent years, for sure, have been habit, exercise, better self-care and organization. I also have the support of a few good friends and family members. Recently, I began working towards larger goals - that keeps me too busy to think, really. (Went back to school - high investment, high risk - kind of have to make it work.)

I wish you continued strength to make changes that will serve you, if luck doesn't bring them your way. You've got it - you're working on it, you're fighting.
  • jennafer32
    jennafer32 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Fish oil, multivitamin a clean diet and lots of cardio have helped me with my depression. I have to push myself harder some days to get going ( like today) but the results are what keep me going. Also motivation from MFP and instagram has helped me with those days when nothing seems right. My daughter pushes me when I need it too. So if you have a partner you can work out with that kind of keeps you accountable and then you have to show up even when you don't want to.
  • doctorsookie
    doctorsookie Posts: 1,084 Member
    Options

One thing is sure, xervising will release the endorphins that will make you feel better and when you start to do it you won't want to atop. Just stick with it. I understand not wanting to go on meds. I felt worse with them and you have to watch what you eatto avoidinyeractions and also can't take a lot of over the counter stuff like cold medicine or allergy mesa. Its just a big p.i.t.a. However, if it seems you have a severecaae you ahoul start out on a low dose and see if it helps you at least get a routine in place and then ween off once you do. If your depression is mild enough tben the exercise and choosing right foods should do the job to keep it at bay. Getting started is the hardest part. I was working out and feeling great and the not being able to work out lead me to beong depressed. I felt useless and ashmes because I could barely walk. I finally just said "eff this ahit" and stooped all meds I was currently taking. Now this was probably foolish and I don't recommend it. I should have gradually stopped and done so under doctor supervision. However, after months of being told I needed surgery and having it scheduled just to be told no go at the last minute for no valid reason id lost all my faith in doctors and thought what else were they wrong bout. Maybe I don't need this Zoloft, or the lisonopril, or prolosac. My my depression and hpb and acid reflux weren't that bad. Turns out I was right. After a month I felt great and I want to my doctor and confessed. She asked me how I felt nd when I said great she aai then you didn't need all that cro. I'd only been with her a year and all the meds were one id been on been for the better part of a decade so she was only going with what was in my chart. Sorry, what I'm saying is you will find what works for you but it may take time. Feel free to add me and check out my friends too as they are the best around. And good luck.
  • africanstardust
    Options
    Thank you so much everyone :) I know that if I do these things it will get better.

I was actually on anti-depressants a few years ago and they made me feel like crap, but I went off of them too soon (my counselor at the time didn't really monitor me or tell me that the first month is supposed to be hell) so it's not that I'm totally against them, but I'm going to make these lifestyle changes before I go there. I realized I don't actually do anything just for fun to relax, so that's my "homework" for this week lol. Thanks for all the support :)

@sunpeach running used to make me feel so amazing, but I hurt my hip and had to stop, so one of my goals is to get running again! Nothing beats that feeling.