Anyone else trying to loose weight with PCOS?

Options
Hi... Just wondered if anyone else was trying to loose weight with PCOS, insulin resistance , they roid problems etc

What worked for you cos I'm really struggling to do this alone every time I loose 2lb I put 3 back on!!!

Thank you in advance :) xx

Replies

• rebeccaboer
    rebeccaboer Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Having this problem right now... Hoping someone else can offer advice!
  • TrinaPCOS
    TrinaPCOS Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    If you find any advice let me know! :) x
  • Jessb1985
    Jessb1985 Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    I was diagnosed as insulin resistance with possible PCOS (masked results as I'm on the pill) and I also struggle to lose weight.

So far I've lost about 15 kilos (33 pounds), but it's been very slow. It takes me about 3 months to lose 4 kilos.

What I've found works for me is eating lower carb (no not carb, about 100grams/day) and incorporating weight/strength training with walking and cardio.

I also think persistence is very important as I didn't put the weight on overnight and I'm happy that I'm starting to feel healthier. Feel free to add me as a friend if you like, and good luck with the weight loss :)

Edit: My doctor first also prescribed me Metformin to try out and while I've heard it's very successful for some people it didn't agree with me
  • mogletdeluxe
    mogletdeluxe Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    Hi there!

I was diagnosed with PCOS in 2010, and it was said diagnosis that kicked me into losing weight.

I am currently on both Dianette and Metformin, however I'm rather dubious as to their impact (obviously, this is my personal experience).

What worked for me was an absolute shedload of exercise (at least an hour six times a week), portion control, watching my carbohydrate intake (I tried cutting them out entirely and couldn't sustain it) and keeping an eye on sugars.

PCOS can be a real bane, but it doesn't have to be a complete barrier to weight loss success - good luck! x
  • Fitburd
    Fitburd Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I was diagnoses with PCOS 14 years ago. My weight gain was slow and steady until last year I couldn't control it any more and realised i had to do something. I have a lot of weight to lose and Its slow. There doesn't seem to be any pattern to the loss. Some weeks I lose a lot others when i have been following the exact same pattern I lose nothing. I am going through my 5th plateau ( 7 weeks now) and they seem to last longer each time. I just kept working through and didn't do the usual sabotage of my diet while feeling sorry for myself. It is super hard but not impossible.

I have already noticed huge benefits from what I have lost and symptoms of the PCOS are starting to disappear, even though at my current weight I am still obese.

Anyone want to add me as a friend on here? I think with PCOS I have had to accept that my weight loss is going to be a long term and not a quick fix, I could do with company and others who understand the battle along the way.

Stick with it
  • Starla_
    Starla_ Posts: 349
    Options
    I have PCOS but I dont think I am insulin resistant at least I was never told I was and I've never asked lol.

I have lost weight by eating at a calorie deficit, yes the weight comes off slower but it still comes off, I exercise 3 - 5x a week for half an hour. I used to do a lot of bodyweight circuits but now I just lift weights.

I have heard of people having faster/more success by reducing their processed carbs and also their sugars but to be honest I just eat what I want I just make sure I dont eat too much of it, being gluten free I dont usually have a lot of processed junk anyway.

It has taken me over a year to lose the weight I have lost, don't give up because every step you are taking towards a healthier lifestyle will pay off in the long run. Keep that bigger picture in mind because that is the important one no matter how far away it seems.
  • lana231989
    Options
    hey i was dignoised with PCOS after the birth of my daughter ! , i have since then put on weight due to it .. I have dieted before and lost 10 kilos just with healthy eating and walking everyday . Winter come around and i gave up and my weight went back up But this time around Im stepping up and going to take control over it , I am insulin resistant . Your main things are cutting down on your Carbs and Sugar . If you go to a gyno they will give you certain foods to eat and not eat with your weight as everyone is different . It dosent have to be a slow process if you stick to it and cut out all of the bad yummy foods and watch what our eating and go on a diet shake that has low carbs and low sugar i found that ..That was one of the only things that have been helping me :)
  • MyFitMyHealthMyLife
    Options
    I was diagonosed in August and put on Metformin... Im happy to say I have lots 12.6 pounds between then and the other day when I weighed myself.

I have been doing the Jillian Michaels 30 day shred and the combination of cardio and strength training that she has you doing has really been working for me. I found it on the BeFit channel on YouTube.
  • PrincessNikkiBoo
    PrincessNikkiBoo Posts: 330 Member
    Options
    Me. Feel free to add me. :heart:
  • NoleGirl0918
    NoleGirl0918 Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    Bumping for later - i have PCOS also & would like to see some other information as well. Feel free to add me. :wink:
  • Impy84
    Impy84 Posts: 430
    Options
    PCOS & losing weight just fine. I only gain when I quit working out or eat outside of my boundaries.
    It's not holding me back.
  • April17MDA
    April17MDA Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Hi I have PCOS too, finding it hard to lose - I think more exercise might be the key, feel free to add me
  • juliea5
    juliea5 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Yes, although I no longer have my ovaries since I had a hysterectomy 6 years ago, but before that had frequent cysts and they put me on Metformin HCL then and I take 500 mg once daily. I seem to be insulin resistant also and lose weight better when on a high protein/low carb diet. You can send me a friend request and we can discuss this further.
  • Anwesha6
    Options
    Hi,
    even i am diagonised with PCOS last week and am put to Metformin 850 ones a day. I do not loose weight at all , whatever workout i do and how ever i do i do not loose anything. And i never had too much sugar even then doc thinks i am insuline resistant. It is very demotivating that i donot loose a single pound.
  • dicoveringwhoIam
    dicoveringwhoIam Posts: 480 Member
    Options
    Feel free to add me :) 15 yrs diagnosed. I'm finally working with a nutritionist and its starting to work.. Plus I am trying to go totally gluten free BC of the insulin resistance.
  • jmleffler
    jmleffler Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Are you me, lol.

I have hypothyroid, insulin resistance, and PCOS. I met with my doctors last week and they stated that the best way to lose weight with the above issues is to limit carbs to 100 per day and increase protein. In addition, I am on Metformin in order to help my insulin levels stabilize.

I just started following this advice one week ago and have lost 7lbs in 7 days. I know it won't continue at this rate, but it's nice motivation.
  • mrswince
    Options
    Hi. Me too. 15 years diagnosed, trying to lose weight and ttc.
  • Nyksta
    Nyksta Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    Hiya,

I have PCOs - diagnosed around 18 more than 10 years ago.

I just wanted to say that losing weight IS possible even with PCOs. Yes it can be seem more difficult and may take longer but it can be done.

For me I had to stop using PCOs as my "excuse" for my weight. This certainly helped me.

And TBH I'm not sure losing weight has helped with the PCOs - I actually need to book an app. to go and get my bloodwork done because my moods have been all over the place (as well as an increase in spots on my face) and I have a feeling it could be hormone related.

Nyk
  • glamskater8292
    Options
    I have PCOS, plus hypothyroidism...currently taking Metformin, Beyaz, and a "fluid" pill (can't remember the spelling at the moment) and I have more than a lot of weight to lose...
  • mrswince
    Options
    Hi, I too have PCOS, Hypothyroidism plus other defects! And although my insulin and glucose levels are fine Im starting on Metformin today! I hope to lose at least 90lbs within the year. Maybe we can help each other out? :)