big calorie deficit

Options
Ugh I can't figure this nutrition thing out! I'm under my calories everyday by a couple hundred. I don't know what else to eat to get my calories up, but keep my fat down. And unfortunately I'm never really hungry until late night. Not thinking it's wise to eat a bunch of calories and head straight to bed. Anyone have any tips?? I'm busting my butt exercising, so I want to eat right so I get maximum results :)

Replies

• ladymiseryali
    ladymiseryali Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options
    There is nothing wrong with going over on your fats. I do it daily and I'm still losing. Then again, I'm doing keto, which is low carb and high fat.
  • Marsidote
    Marsidote Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    My carbs are high and my fats high. My protein and calories are both too low.
  • ThickMcRunFast
    ThickMcRunFast Posts: 22,511 Member
    Options
    Meal timing doesn't matter at all, its all about personal preference. Its hard to tell anything else without an open diary, but eat high protein foods. greek yogurt, cottage cheese, hummus. Fats aren't bad, either, you need fat (unless you are limiting for a medical reason). Adding nutrient dense, high calorie food like almonds can help you make your goals.
  • Cranquistador
    Cranquistador Posts: 39,744 Member
    Options
    eat some meat.
  • j6o4
    j6o4 Posts: 871 Member
    Options
    Nothing worng with fats, healthy fats help regulate your hormones and lubricate your joints. Also eating before bed does not make you fat, as long as your within your calories you will be fine no matter what time of day or night you eat.
  • ladymiseryali
    ladymiseryali Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options

Then you should go for more calorie and protein dense foods like peanut butter, peanuts/nuts/seeds, ect. FOR ME, limiting my carbs made a huge difference, but it might not be the same for you.
  • gypsyrose64
    gypsyrose64 Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    Since your diary isn't open, I can only toss out a few suggestions:

-- cottage cheese or yogurt (both good sources of calcium and protein)
    -- half an avocado (generous calories and healthy fats)
    -- low fat cheese (a quick grab during the day)
    -- small serving of nuts (almonds are popular here)
    -- spoon of peanut butter
    -- glass of milk

I'm a snacker, so I always have something close by to grab inbetween meals. With that said, I'm still able to stay within a tight calorie budget.

My diary is open to public, so you can poke around and you might get some ideas. Keep in mind I'm eating low carb(10%), high fat(60%), moderate protein(30%).
  • Starrynightgrl45
    Starrynightgrl45 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Edamame! I love having 1/2- 3/4 cup with some black pepper midway through the day. Keeps the hunger at bay and a great source of protein! :)
  • trickduffin
    trickduffin Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Here's a site that might help you figure things out.

http://www.acaloriecounter.com/blog/why-am-i-not-losing-weight/

http://www.aworkoutroutine.com/how-to-lose-fat/

Somewhere else on the site he's got a "Best Diet Plan" that I highly suggest reading too.

Bottom line, and this might be hard to accept (to some people), is that FOR FAT LOSS, NOTHING matters more than calories!!!

NOTHING! That said, making healthy choices is best, but don't beat yourself up over some things.

Good luck!!
  • just4nessa
    just4nessa Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    Nothing worng with fats, healthy fats help regulate your hormones and lubricate your joints. Also eating before bed does not make you fat, as long as your within your calories you will be fine no matter what time of day or night you eat.

^This^ Eat when you're hungry. Try to meet your calorie goal and don't worry so much about carbs and fats unless your have an underlying medical condition that calls for it.
  • Marsidote
    Options
    I opened my diary. Thanks for the suggestions. I'm a picky eater which sucks. Guess I need to broaden my horizons.
  • gypsyrose64
    Options
    Emerald has a product line for "flavored" almonds that I'm in-love with. I keep these 100-calorie packs in my desk of "cocoa covered almonds" and OMG.... it hits that spot when I start thinking about chocolate. If I'm running around on a weekend, I'll toss a couple in my purse. Nutritious way to snag a few extra calories and they kill any hunger brewing on the spot.
  • MuseofSong
    MuseofSong Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    My answer is simple, choose calorie dense foods or something you really enjoy to fill in those extra calories;

Cheese, fruit, nuts, wine!

mlab7hx

YES! Cheese is usually ~100 an ounce, red wine is ~25 calories an ounce (~30 mL), nuts can be ~160 an ounce, and fruit varies, but I like dried fruit and it doesn't take much dried fruit to hit 100 calories or more!

It's SO easy to eat and drink delicious things. I do not understand why people say they struggle. :(

When in doubt, ice cream! Most ice cream bars will give ya ~250 calories, huzzah! Just imagine how awesome you'll feel losing 30 pounds and eating a serving of ice cream every day!

'OMG GIRL how'd you lose the weight?!'
    'Ohh, umm, ya know, cut calories, increased activity, and I ate some icre cream every night!'

:laugh: Welcome to the Ice Cream Diet!
  • jennpaulson
    jennpaulson Posts: 850 Member
    Options
    It's been said above but it doesn't matter what time it is when you eat. If you're hungry before bed then plan to have one of your meals later.
    And a serving of almonds or a couple slices of cheese are great ways to add calories, fat and protein.
  • Marsidote
    Options
    I struggle because I feel like when I was gaining weight I was eating all those things and my calories were high. I just can't comprehend how eating high fat/calorie food is going to aide in my weight loss. Just a scary thing. Don't want to ever hit the 170 mark again!
  • gypsyrose64
    Options
    A few suggestions that helped me.

Buy a cheap digital scale and weigh everything.
    Keep plastic snack bags on hand and premeasure out snack-able foods for quick grabs.
    Preplan your day's budget and build in some snacks, then grab and go.

Blue bunny has a low fat frozen yogurt I used to enjoy (before I gave up carbs)

Purchase a quality protein mix and one those shakers. I mix chocolate or vanilla with unsweetened almond milk for a quick calorie/protein boost.

You have to treat food like the fuel that it is. It's not evil. Losing weight is about control over portions and knowing when to stop.
  • TigerBite
    TigerBite Posts: 611 Member
    Options

Then you should go for more calorie and protein dense foods like peanut butter, peanuts/nuts/seeds, ect. FOR ME, limiting my carbs made a huge difference, but it might not be the same for you.

OKAY, people seriously need to stop saying that peanut butter is a good source of protein ... NO, IT'S NOT! It's a good source of fat ...

Rant Over:

That being said:

Greek Yogurt (+fruit or mixed with garlic powder or other spices and salt and pepper and used as a veggie dip ...)
    Cottage Cheese (+fruit or plain)
    Lean Meats

ETA:
    Eating late at night, as long as you have the calories to do so, is not a bad thing ...
  • Pixi_Rex
    Pixi_Rex Posts: 1,676 Member
    Options
    eat some meat.

yup...
  • dizzysmile
    dizzysmile Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Don't worry about going over your fats and it doesn't matter what time of day you eat; eat when you're hungry. :)
  • Marsidote
    Options
    Thanks guys. I'm looking up some recipes now. Maybe if I do the whole 'plan ahead' thing, it might make it easier. Tough cooking healthy for just me and my 8 yr old. Her idea of a good dinner is velveeta and chix nuggents! (well, thats my idea of a good dinner too lol)