over 50 women... how do we lose weight ladies?

Options
I love all the success stories I read, but notice that many are much younger people. is it true that it is much harder to lose weight as you get older, especially for women? or am I just a pig and overeating? even watching my calorie intake and exercising, it just doesn't seem to work the best. :brokenheart:

Replies

• astronomicals
    astronomicals Posts: 1,537 Member
    Options
    metabolism slows with age.
  • whierd
    whierd Posts: 14,026 Member
    Options
    I love all the success stories I read, but notice that many are much younger people. is it true that it is much harder to lose weight as you get older, especially for women? or am I just a pig and overeating? even watching my calorie intake and exercising, it just doesn't seem to work the best. :brokenheart:

Much harder? No. Slightly harder? Yes. It still boils down to calories in/out.
  • Andibenni
    Andibenni Posts: 408 Member
    Options
    As I've gotten older it has been harder for me to lose weight and I've become disheartened and stopped, never achieving my goal. This time round with MFP I've consistently lost weight. It's slow and steady but I've changed my expectations and will take 1lb a week as it's better off than on. Good luck with your weight loss. :flowerforyou:
  • Pamelaniamh
    Pamelaniamh Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    Every....single...gram....lost...takes...tonnes...of ...work.
  • kezzola
    kezzola Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I'm 61 and I'm finding it harder to lose weight now. Since April I've managed to lose 10 kilos (22 lbs) - lost 1 kilo before I started here.
    I exercise most days - walking, Zumba or gym and I stick to my 1270 calories. I'm losing weight more slowly than a lot of the people on MFP but I'm gradually getting there. I don't want to use the old comment that " I didn't put on the weight overnight" but at the moment I weigh less than I did in my 40's.

And I will get there - even if a bit slower than others.
  • holliwood322
    holliwood322 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    thanks for the support! it is good to know I am not alone and not delirious in my expectations. I guess slow and steady is how the turtle won the race! :noway:
  • holliwood322
    Options
    thanks for the help! as stated in my other post, I guess "slow and steady is how the turtle won the race!" :noway: half the battle is starting....
  • holliwood322
    Options
    you are a very young looking 50 yrs, and a bit mannish for a woman. :huh: :laugh: LOL!!!! thanks for the help, mam?
  • holliwood322
    Options
    I believe this to be true. my dad is 78 and fell and broke his hip 4 months ago. metabolism slows, nothing good about getting old. the good news is "you get there," and the bad news is, "you get there." :drinker:
  • holliwood322
    Options
    Much harder? No. Slightly harder? Yes. It still boils down to calories in/out.
    [/quote]

you are a very young looking 50 yrs, and a bit mannish for a woman. :huh: :laugh: LOL!!!! thanks for the help, mam?
  • Dgadd17
    Dgadd17 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I'm only 44, but I'm experiencing much of the same trouble. As long as I stick with it, I think I can keep making it happen. :) As to your comment about there being nothing good about getting old, I'd disagree. The great thing about getting old is that it's better than the alternative! :)
  • Pamelaniamh
    Options
    The great thing about getting old is that it's better than the alternative! :)

I agree :smile:
  • 1aurane
    1aurane Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Steady as you go ...onward and forward!!! :wink:
  • claudiakendall98
    claudiakendall98 Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    I am 54 and do find it a little bit harder to loose weight .I plateaued about 2 month at same weight but did not let that discourage me .I changed my exercise and eating a little , but do not deprive myself .I have fun with foods I cook and am on this journey not just to loose weight but to make positive changes.If you are looking for support you can get it from me and check out my diary which is open.Add me if you like
  • Dunkirk
    Dunkirk Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    Every....single...gram....lost...takes...tonnes...of ...work.

Yep
  • mamadon
    mamadon Posts: 1,422 Member
    Options
    I am fifty one. Simply counting my calories has worked for me just fine. I think for many of us it's mostly about regaining our health. I don't care as much as I used to about looking good naked lol, but do want to be around for awhile longer.
  • Pamelaniamh
    Options
    I am fifty one. Simply counting my calories has worked for me just fine. I think for many of us it's mostly about regaining our health. I don't care as much as I used to about looking good naked lol, but do want to be around for awhile longer.

You look fantastic on it too :smile:
  • mahanaibu
    mahanaibu Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    definitely harder, esp; post-menopause. but not necessarily hard.

I had been working with a nutritionist, all that stuff, and not getting below a certain point. I thought when I joined MFP that this would be a very tough battle. But now it seems to me that I was fooling myself about how much I was eating before; MFP made record-keeping something that I was willing to do regularly, as well as track exercise, and I've been thrilled by the results.
  • mixiepixie29
    mixiepixie29 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I am 51.

I used to be able to do yogurt and cottage cheese for a week or two and be back into my jeans.

Not any more.

I went to see a nutritionist as I have piled on a lot of pounds over the past couple of years and could not shake them with my old tricks. She put me on a sugar fast for 21 days-- no white sugar, no honey, no syrup, no white flour, no white rice, no white potatoes, etc. I lost 13 pounds so far and will keep this up as long as it works.

It is much harder at this age for sure.......
  • srm1960
    srm1960 Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    :sad:
    Yes, harder as we age!! Had 3 plateaus too! But @ maintenance now!! :drinker:
    I definitely worked @ the gym a lot harder....& stayed @ 1200 cals....it can be done and this MFP WORKS...good luck !!????????