Not starting off on the right foot.

Options
ido2012
ido2012 Posts: 2
edited November 2023 in Getting Started
Today is only day two on MFP. It also happens to be hubby's birthday. Why in the world did I suggest Mexican buffet for lunch. I am no almost 700 over my daily goal. and I have not had dinner. Wait....I had the string cheese and peach, that should suffice.
So, question....what is the best way to divide up 1590 calories?

Replies

• MizSookeh
    MizSookeh Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    My target is 1550, feel free to take a look at my diary if you like. :smile:

The 'best way' can be different for different people. For example, I'm hungrier later in the day - so I eat a big breakfast which gets me through until 2-3pm, and then I do lots of eating over the next 6 or so hours - late lunch, afternoon snack, dinner, and then sometimes a dessert or snack before bed.

Other people may be the opposite, more balanced, or tend to graze all day.

Also, don't let a day of going over ruin it for you, it happens to everyone! My first week of proper tracking, we went to a festival and bought home loads of cheese and chocolate and salami and beer...!! I still lost weight by my weekly check-in as I accepted it as a 'bad day' and got straight back onto my good plan the next day.
  • Athijade
    Athijade Posts: 3,280 Member
    Options
    Are you never going to enjoy a Mexican buffet again?
  • mhiggi02
    mhiggi02 Posts: 5,988 Member
    Options
    In addition to timing of food and caloric intake, I make sure I am getting food with lots of protein as that helps me feel full. Great snacks for me in this category are Greek yogurt, almonds, natural peanut butter on celery. You can do this!
  • ocragal
    ocragal Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I changed the meals on my food diary to include a morning, afternoon, and evening snack. I try to eat high protein. On days that I know I will have a meal out, I try to keep my other foods low calorie and add more exercise. It's also helpful for me to check the menu online before I go to a restaurant so I can preplan what I will eat. That way, I'm not tempted by the less healthy foods. At Mexican restaurants, I love the sopa de polla with a few tortilla chips. Fajitas can also be a good choice if limiting the tortillas. Just think creatively!
  • kcpond
    kcpond Posts: 661 Member
    Options
    Going over your limit once and a while is not going to hurt your weight loss. Also remember you are just started and it is likely going to take a bit to change your habits.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    Don't be too hard on yourself. :smile: It's all about planning. Next time, think about where you want to take hubby for lunch and then work your calories accordingly.

When I want to have a bigger meal, I plan ahead. For example, I am thinking of a Rubios healthmex chicken burrito for tomorrow, along with chips I bring from home. That meal will be about 650 calories. Well, I can cut out the nuts I have my banana in the afternoon, maybe make breakfast a little less caloric, and have a light dinner (maybe a salad with fish). This way, I will be able to have what I want and not go over my calorie goal.
  • Maggie9701
    Options
    first thing you should know is that it takes repetition to make something a habit. I have had an account on here since last year but just this week really started using it. Also, know that we all have to splurge sometimes. IF we all tried to be healthy and perfect all of the time a splurge would turn into a binge and everything we are doing would go down the tubes!:ohwell: What is really important is that you are learning how to use the tools and you understand now that maybe a Mexican buffet is something that has to be measured carefully. I have always heard that the first bite is the most flavorful bite you will take, so maybe next time just very small portions or bites of everything you want.
  • Cole7612
    Cole7612 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I know what you mean I feel like I have been having more bad days then good but I have to remember it will be a slow process and at least EVERYDAY isn't a bad day anymore because of tracking! Just stay motivated and remember everyone needs an off day or they might go crazy !!
  • Nix_Way
    Nix_Way Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    It takes time to change ingrained habits and lifelong ways of thinking and doing. You will have bad days and good days. The trick is to have more good days than bad days. Its not a "diet" to just do for a while, but its a lifelong change in eating, moving and thinking habits.
    I agree with Susan.. If you know you are going to go somewhere where you will most likely eat a higher than normal calorie meal, have a lower breakfast and dinner or maybe cut out a snack or two. It takes time and mental energy to plan out a day, but the rewards are worth it!
    Best wishes.. Nix
    :flowerforyou:
  • Mcgrawhaha
    Mcgrawhaha Posts: 1,596 Member
    Options
    i had mexican food yesterday. my favorite place... rodrigos!!! mmmmmmmmm. i cam in 46 calories over my daily goal... how? i did extra excercises to help bridge the gap, and i pre logged since i knew i was going... theres ways to easily work in your faves!
  • NH_Norma
    NH_Norma Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    My first week, I did so well and was getting a bit full of myself. Then Friday night came...I was tired, bored, a bit grumpy, and stressed about a variety of things. I ate dinner. then I ate dinner again. Then I had a snack. and another. and another...but I logged it all before I went to bed, realized I was over by about 1400. But, over the previous few days, I had been under by a few hundred, and decided the average of the week really wasn't anything to be ashamed of. That was the last time I went way over. Most days I'm a bit under but if I'm over it's by less than 100. I have had to exercise more than planned a few days to balance a big lunch but that is my choice, just as the big lunch was my choice. I'm simply staying focused on my reason for doing this, and adding variety to every day, both in food and activity. Boredom and obsession = failure for me. I've done this enough times to know it about myself, so now I'm working on changing habits, one choice at a time.

My calorie breakdown during the day is generally breakfast is small, a small morning snack maybe, lunch is generally about 2x breakfast calories, and dinner is whatever I feel like (healthy) with the remaining calories, leaving a few hundred for a snack later in the evening if I'm in the mood. I try to get in my exercise before dinner so I know exactly what I have to work with, and don't have to play calorie catch-up when all I really want to do is sit down with my feet up. :yawn: I set my loss goal at 1.5 pounds/week, knowing I have some wiggle room in both directions to still lose.
This discussion has been closed.