Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

How do you resist "TEMPTATIONS"

Hi everyone out there in MFP land. I wanted to put this question to all of you who have managed to stray from the strongest of temptations. What do you do, or say to yourself that makes you stop and ignore that goodie temptation?

For me, I am diabetic and what I find works really well for me is, when I want that piece of cake or that extra helping or 2 of potato's, pasta's etc (big no no's for diabetics). I just ask my self one question and it works.

Is this *insert tempting food here* worth losing a toe or two? Of course the answer to my question is always no, and that is all it takes for me. I either put the temptation down, or never pick it up to begin with and am able to walk away.

Replies

• MikaMojito
    MikaMojito Posts: 680 Member
    Since for me, that extra serving of pasta isn't a health risk, it can be a bit more difficult.

What I'm trying to do is look at the food I want to eat and rate how happy it would make me to eat it.

So that extra serving of pasta: well... a little happy because yummy pasta but not VERY happy.

A piece of take-away pizza at the mall: not happy because usually it's not nice

Fried goodness at the Chinese buffet: HELL YES, it will make me happy, and I'll be back on track tomorrow

Homemade cake given to me by my pupils: VERY happy because I love cake and I love that "my kids" want to share their treats with me.

Sometimes I give in and then regret it - this week I had an entire bag of crisps that wasn't even that nice. Not worth it. I logged it for the next day, reduced all other calories, added a workout and was back within my calories.
  • I usually think back to how bad I felt the last time I ate something I didn't feel good about. I also think about how far I have come, and what those foods really do to our bodies. After all of that I usually just forget about it and move on.
  • Fivepts
    Fivepts Posts: 517 Member
    I sat down and calculated about how much money I'd spent on maintaining my extra weight and it was a shocking. Then I went on to calculate how much it cost to maintain it for 20 years and I decided that I'd given in to temptation waaay too much. The sad part was that I could have used that money for something better that to hang on my midsection. Maybe, it's a self-driven guilt trip (I hope not), but it helps me to remember how many $ of extra calories I'm still carrying. At least it seems to help me from eating the third cookie!
  • Fivepts
    Fivepts Posts: 517 Member
    Of course, as you can tell I'm only a beginner at self-control!
  • RaineyLaney
    RaineyLaney Posts: 605 Member
    bump
  • ktsmom430
    ktsmom430 Posts: 1,100 Member
    I constantly ask myself if it is worth the few minutes of enjoyment................the answer is usually no, and I do not ever want to go back to where I was.
  • nyaladreamer
    nyaladreamer Posts: 13 Member
    Thanks for that! Don't mind if I use your tactic?
  • RaineyLaney
    RaineyLaney Posts: 605 Member
    Thanks for that! Don't mind if I use your tactic?

Not sure which tactic you are refering too. Mine or another posters, but feel free to use my tactic .. It sure does the trick for me.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    i don't really have a problem with food. i find a way to fit it into my calories for the day.

my issue is cigarettes. i have one and then i want another. the first one feels sooooo good. but i know that by the end of the second (or third) i'll feel gross. i know it'll effect me in tomorrows work out. so i try and remember that before i even pick up the first one.
  • escloflowneCHANGED
    escloflowneCHANGED Posts: 3,038 Member
    I only ever cook the amount I have entered on MFP so I don't over eat at night, dinner is my only issue.

Also who doesn't love the Temptations!?

tumblr_lnzko8KsUF1qd5n55o1_500.gif
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    I eat them in moderation. If I knew it was going to make me sick though, I wouldn't even touch it. Maybe you need to talk to your doctor about it... it doesn't sound very healthy to be tempted to eat things that can make you sick.
  • I don't like to feel miserable, so I give myself an alternative that will make me happy. Sometimes it is an activity or the promise of a healthier treat later. Last night I had a box full of pumpkin cookies leftover from a bake sale and I know if I had 1 I would have eaten the whole box. The only way I made it home is by telling myself I could have a 1/2c of fat free vanilla ice cream when I got home. Saved myself TONS of calories and stayed within my budget for the day. :)
  • dsjohndrow
    dsjohndrow Posts: 1,820 Member
    I don't have it in the house. I will possibly have something indulgent if I am out with my wife on a date, but we split it. Truthfully, there is just a lot of stuff I will not eat anymore. I have trained myself to prefer low-sodium and non-sweetened food. It took a while, but I really don't enjoy things that are too sweet or too salty. At one time, it was a steady parade of junk.
  • GalloMatesegirl
    GalloMatesegirl Posts: 2 Member
    I'm just a beginner, as well & have lost 12 lbs. so far. The answers helped me a lot too! It seems as if I'm constantly working on my Temptation issues since my parents both come from Italy & have had an Italian restaurant for 51 yrs.
  • hopes_fury
    hopes_fury Posts: 13 Member
    I imagine the " sexy me" of the future, how I'm gonna look at the pool next summer in my daisy dukes and bikini top.... after that I'm over my cravings mostly :p
  • annekka
    annekka Posts: 517 Member
    I once heard of a woman who would make herself eat temptations in front of the mirror...I have to make temptations unavailable to me, or "freeze" them so that they're harder to enjoy.
  • MelRC117
    MelRC117 Posts: 911 Member
    I know in my head that the temptation will only last for so long and I'll feel good about it for the 3 minutes or whatever I'm eating it. Then I feel guilty about it the rest of the day while I try to limit to make up for it.
    For some reason I feel better when I plan out my higher calorie meals. I feel more in control then or something.
  • lep_623
    lep_623 Posts: 193 Member
    I have an app on my phone called the diet couch and it had a quote one day that said temptations only last for 15 minutes... so i have been setting a timer for 15 minutes and then doing other stuff and generally when the 15 minutes goes up i have forgotten what i wanted or just don't want it anymore.
  • Hildy_J
    Hildy_J Posts: 1,050 Member
    I have NO idea what I'm doing right when I resist temptations and NO idea what I'm doing wrong when I give in and go nuts. Proper nuts.

I think it's a mood thing...
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,740 Member
    Like several others have described already, I usually talk myself out of it by reminding myself that it wasn't THAT great the last time I indulged. There are a few things though (chocolate, noosa yogurt, cheese) that are always that great. So I eat them still. Just in moderation :-)