A question for ladies only

Options
Has anyone else found that weight loss interfered with their monthly schedule? I know that losing a rapid or dangerous amount of weight can throw everything off, but mine has completely disappeared and I find that really strange considering I've been losing two pounds a week or less. Thoughts? Is this worth a trip to the doctor?

Replies

• MzBug
    MzBug Posts: 2,173 Member
    Options
    Mine went off by a few days, but didn't stop. If you are more than a week overdue I would suggest either a pregnancy test or a trip to the GYN. Good Luck!
  • oddsonv
    oddsonv Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    When your body fat percentage gets too low that can happen...or stress! May want to visit a dr. just to make sure you are on track...you don't want to mess up your body!
  • niclexiemom
    niclexiemom Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I would say this is worth a trip to the doctors. Might just be a hormone change due to your heathy habits. Good luck,
  • thelgeson
    Options
    Definitely a trip to the doctor.
  • ashleynicoleb
    ashleynicoleb Posts: 376 Member
    Options
    Mine completely disappeared, too. I was very strict with my eating and exercising intensely pretty much every day for about two and a half months. Once I slacked off it came back, though. I think your body will eventually become accustomed and get back on track...I wouldn't worry too much!
  • ChubbieTubbie
    ChubbieTubbie Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    I just had this problem recently--my monthly visitor was late by over a week! After ruling out pregnancy, I'd give it a little while to show up before rushing to the doctor, but if it continues to be missing I would at least call and talk to a nurse at your Gyn's office.
  • meagalayne
    meagalayne Posts: 3,382 Member
    Options
    Yep - Similar prob. For a few months I was getting it every 18-20 days (brutal!) and then all of a sudden I was really late. Thought it had disappeared (and freaked out about being pregnant for a few days). Ruled out pregnancy and then it eventually resurfaced (fun!). If you are exercising a lot it's possible. So long as you are eating healthy and not starving yourself/malnourished, it shouldn't be a huge concern. If you are worried, see your Dr. anyway. From your pic you look very thin already - so long as your body fat % is not too low, its likely that your body is just in a bit of shock. Given some time to adjust, it will be back :grumble:
  • misspenny762
    misspenny762 Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    See, I thought it wasn't a big deal too, but at this point it's just really strange how long it's been. I haven't had it since I joined MFP (which has been 70-something days) and I'm definitely not pregnant, so idk. Maybe I'll stop by the health center on the way to the gym this morning.
  • amelia_atlantic
    amelia_atlantic Posts: 926 Member
    Options
    First, try a pregnancy test.
    Second, just call the doctor and run it by them. Usually, they'll let you know if it's worth scheduling an appointment or if it is due to weight loss only.

It's kind of scary though when your body does weird things like this but I'm sure you're fine!
  • meagalayne
    Options
    See, I thought it wasn't a big deal too, but at this point it's just really strange how long it's been. I haven't had it since I joined MFP (which has been 70-something days) and I'm definitely not pregnant, so idk. Maybe I'll stop by the health center on the way to the gym this morning.
    How many calories are you eating a day?
  • misspenny762
    misspenny762 Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    How many calories are you eating a day?

Between 1200 and 1600, usually.
  • meagalayne
    Options
    In that case, a trip to the clinic is probably a good plan. Better safe than sorry.
  • VickiMitkins
    VickiMitkins Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    I think it's worth a trip to the doctor. Up until I was 23 or so I had normal cycles. After that I started skipping months. After skipping 3 months, I went to the doctor. It took a few years to figure out that I had a thyroid problem which was causing my issues. I was rather young for thyroid problems, so it took a while to pinpoint. Other symptoms of thyroid problems are temperature sensitivity, hair loss or thinning, dry skin, fatigue, etc.
  • utes09
    utes09 Posts: 561 Member
    Options
    This happened to me about a year ago....my cycle disappeared for like 3 months straight and I wasn't pregnant or anything. I went to my DR and she put me on some hormone pill to jump start it again. If you're concerned, go to the clinic so they can check out your vitals and probably do some bloodwork.

I hope it all works out and you get some answers.
  • MysticMaiden22
    MysticMaiden22 Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    I would highly reccommend that you see a doctor. It's not necessarily dangerous to miss a period but there are a lot of factors when it comes to diet and exercise. Olympic gymnasts and athletes often miss periods due to low body fat percentage, high amounts of exercise, and extreme diets. Unfortunately so do anorexic people. In another case, it could be your hormones. You seem to have a healthy amount of exercise and diet in your plan, and are losing at a normal rate, but it's best to have a doctor determine what the problem could be.
  • mshay05
    mshay05 Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    I would at least call and talk to a nurse and your doctors office. They could give you some info or tell you if you need to see the doctor or not.
  • ron2282
    ron2282 Posts: 2,772 Member
    Options
    When I lost weight a few years ago my cycle changed its schedule but never went away completely. This time I'm on the pill so there's been no change. It might be best to talk to your doctor just to be on the safe side.