skin elasticity vs age vs weight vs time

Options
Hi, so, I've been looking over the web, and I haven't been able to find something that is exactly what I'm looking for, but then again, how often does one find exactly what they are looking for, especially in terms of weight loss and fitness. First, here are my stats:

Height: 5' 10"
Weight: 343 lbs

I have basically always been overweight, except for about 2 years, from the age of about 7 to 9. The highest I weighed was 425(maybe a little bit more, but that's my highest recorded weight, but I don't -think-, if I did get any higher, it was too much higher) pounds, and that was about 2 years ago now(or so, please don't quote me 100%).

Okay, so I'm going to spout out some things that I've been reading and thinking about, and basically I want you guys to tell me if my thinking and stuff is correct or not.

Okay, so the first thing, I read the best time to lose weight is in you 20s, which I am in now. Which is wonderful.

Second thing, I've read a couple of times on MFP forum that the longer you have the skin stretched out the harder it is for it to spring back. So I've had my skin stretched since I was about 9, so about 13 years now. I don't know if, in terms of skin elasticity, this is considered a long time.

Third thing, is that the older you get the less elastic your skin becomes.

Basically, I don't want saggy skin. I realize that it's better to have saggy skin and to be at a healthy weight than to be obese, but I want to at least try to come out of this experience with no baggage. The 3 main things to combat skin sagging that I've come across is 1) Lose weight slowly. 2) Drink plenty of water. 3) Eat enough protein. So, I can at least have a game plan to make sure I have minimal skin saggage..

But what do you guys think? My ideal weight would be around 180 pounds, and I want to be muscular, like pecs and abs, and some muscle on my arms, but definitely not -too- muscular. Do you guys think that 150 pound weight loss and muscle definition would leave my skin saggy? I want to say no, just because I am so young, and I haven't had the fat for more the 20 years, but I mean, I have had it for quite a while

What are your guys' thoughts on this?

Replies

• lucan07
    lucan07 Posts: 509
    Options
    No definite answer but the advice generally seems to be lose weight slowly and make sure you stay hydrated and hope for the best, on the bright side your youth will be on your side. Good luck!
  • RaineyLaney
    RaineyLaney Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    It is a known fact that as you age, your skin gets thinner, as the skin gets thinner, it loses it's elasticity. At age 20, I would think you have good elasticity if you lose the weight slowly (1 to 2 lbs a week and no more).
  • claudiakendall98
    claudiakendall98 Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    I agree with above,do keep in mind that when you start new life journey you will loose weight at a higher rate for at least 2 weeks or longer ,it does slow down after that . Best of luck and start today .
  • gabbygirl78
    gabbygirl78 Posts: 936 Member
    Options
    Hi, so, I've been looking over the web, and I haven't been able to find something that is exactly what I'm looking for, but then again, how often does one find exactly what they are looking for, especially in terms of weight loss and fitness. First, here are my stats:

Height: 5' 10"
    Weight: 343 lbs

I have basically always been overweight, except for about 2 years, from the age of about 7 to 9. The highest I weighed was 425(maybe a little bit more, but that's my highest recorded weight, but I don't -think-, if I did get any higher, it was too much higher) pounds, and that was about 2 years ago now(or so, please don't quote me 100%).

Okay, so I'm going to spout out some things that I've been reading and thinking about, and basically I want you guys to tell me if my thinking and stuff is correct or not.

Okay, so the first thing, I read the best time to lose weight is in you 20s, which I am in now. Which is wonderful.

Second thing, I've read a couple of times on MFP forum that the longer you have the skin stretched out the harder it is for it to spring back. So I've had my skin stretched since I was about 9, so about 13 years now. I don't know if, in terms of skin elasticity, this is considered a long time.

Third thing, is that the older you get the less elastic your skin becomes.

Basically, I don't want saggy skin. I realize that it's better to have saggy skin and to be at a healthy weight than to be obese, but I want to at least try to come out of this experience with no baggage. The 3 main things to combat skin sagging that I've come across is 1) Lose weight slowly. 2) Drink plenty of water. 3) Eat enough protein. So, I can at least have a game plan to make sure I have minimal skin saggage..

But what do you guys think? My ideal weight would be around 180 pounds, and I want to be muscular, like pecs and abs, and some muscle on my arms, but definitely not -too- muscular. Do you guys think that 150 pound weight loss and muscle definition would leave my skin saggy? I want to say no, just because I am so young, and I haven't had the fat for more the 20 years, but I mean, I have had it for quite a while

What are your guys' thoughts on this?

Hard to say because everyone is different. I have always been overweight with the exception of a few years in high school but I really put on the pounds after I got married and had children. I lost 85 lbs in 6 months when I was about 27 and the skin on my stomach was very saggy and also on my upper thighs. If I had lost it slower It probably would not have been an issue. So really I think it depends on how fast you loose it and the type of toning you do in the process,. Skin does lose its bounce back the older you get tho so now is probably better than later no matter what.
  • kowajenn
    kowajenn Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    I think with a high weight of 425, there's no way you won't be left with loose skin but your youth will help it bounce back more than it would on an older person. Don't let that stop you. Surgery is an option later on if you need it.
  • swissbrit
    swissbrit Posts: 201
    Options
    moisturise every day to help your skin.
  • judilockwood
    judilockwood Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    There was a man who posted on here who had lost a lot of weight over 10 years- very slowly- and his ski was ok because he'd taken a long time to do it . Get started today, take your time and good luck x
  • RAQUELINATOVAR
    RAQUELINATOVAR Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    i met this lady who i would have never guessed had been extremely overweight for many, many years. older than me also and i'm 43. she had cancer and the weight came off. i would have never guessed she had been overweight at any point in her life. i would not worry. just lose it and whatever happens....happens.
  • auntiebabs
    auntiebabs Posts: 1,754 Member
    Options
    Okay, my weight loss is not as drastic as yours, but I'm two and a half times your age.

being over 50 I really expect more saggage, but I was pleasantly surprised.

I only lost about 30 pounds, but I did do it slowly. About 15 months at a 1/2 lb a week.
    (actually I started out at 1 lb a week, when my MFP cal got to 1200 I switched to down a category. )
    Since you have more to lose and your are young and male.
    I would think your minimum should be in the 1500-1800* cal a day range.
    Whatever range you pick, once your calorie target gets to 1500-1800* switch down to the next category.

So if you start of at Lose 1.5 lbs a week, (Remembering that as you lose weight you need less fuel to support your body. MFP will subtract calories every time you track a loss ) and your calories get down to say 1500* , then it's time to switch to Lose 1 lb a week, MFP continues to subtract calories as you lose, when you get to 1500* cal. then switch to lose 1/2 lb a week.

For my last five pounds every time I lost a pound I add calories so that I would already be eating at maintenance, by the time I reached my goal.

EDIT:

*OKAY now that I've run your numbers I think that 1500-1800 might be too low, maybe 2200+Exercise might be a better option, but run the numbers for yourself (don't blindly listen to some idiot like me on the interwebz) ....

MAINTAIN GOAL WEIGHT 2280
    Lose 2lbs/wk 2200 calories
    Lose 1.5lbs/wk 2450 calories
    Lose 1lbs/wk 2700 calories
    Lose .5lbs/wk 2950 calories
    MAINTAIN CURRENT WEIGHT 3200

To Maintain your goal weight you get 2280 calories. (probably a little less, because you will be a little older)

Since the amount of calories you get for losing 2 lbs a week is so close to what you get for maintaining 180 lbs. I would CONSIDER going straight to maintenance.

That way you only have to reteach yourself how to eat once, and you get to avoid that frightening transition from loss to maintenance.

Whatever you decide Good luck It sounds like you have a good head on your shoulder and are taking a sensible approach to this.
  • tallgrl212
    Options
    This could be anecdotal but men tend to have thicker skin that women, so from what I've see they rarely have loose skin the way women do. Also I've heard that if you have a ton of stretch marks it could be a good indicator of if it will stretch or not. But similar to what everyone else says just focus on losing it at a reasonable rate (you may lose faster @ first because you're more than just a little overweight, plus you're a guy and guys tend to lose faster), drink water, and moisturize, and just concentrate on losing the weight.
  • stephicozar
    stephicozar Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I know that as I am entering into an agreement with myself to lose weight (I have about 100lbs to lose) that at first the idea of all the loose skin was a turn off. Its almost enough to say 'No, I'll stay like this, thanks'. I talked myself out of it. Don't let it be the reason you don't start or continue. You're young (that's what my dietician and doctor keep telling me!). Whatever will be, will be. You can do the best you can do for your body and your skin by getting healthy, drinking lots of water and staying out of the sun.

Good luck!
  • Redshot101
    Options
    I am 27 5"9 235-250 for about 6 years I got a gut slight stretch marks.. If I play my cards right can i still get abs and not have loose skin on belly.. GOAL is 195lbs SOMEONE please help me gain my confedence back