Do "sugarphobes" also avoid drinking any alcohol?

Options

Replies

• elsdonward
    elsdonward Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    I get it - this was a chance to get your small pic of yourself on Right?

Come on - there are no sugarphobes they do not exist have you seen one??? How can you tell one is out there

Most aliens know that sugars are different - ref honey, molasses, raw cane etc = and what makes them different is their natural qualities

You work for Tate and Lyle Right??
  • shr645
    shr645 Posts: 1
    Options
    all ethanol is created by the fermentation of glucose, sucrose, and/or fructose.

the resulting ethanol is nothing if not highly refined and processed sugar.

that makes it bad and off-limits to sugarphobic people, right?

i wonder how many people who insist that table sugar is "teh debil" are intellectually consistent enough to be teetotallers as well.

During fermentation, glucose/sucrose/fructose are broken down and converted into ethanol. So, the sugar is no longer there.
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    Do paleo people realize there is sugar in fruit?

paleolithic man didn't have developed language skills, so even if one of them figured this out, there's no way he could have told the others.

:frown:

pfft shows how little you know there's total cave paintings in the south of france clearly showing an apple with a big red cross through it and several messages of grunt grunt oog oog fruit diabetes grunt grunt obesity grunt oog oog high fructose corn syrup...me hump woman now. Very graphic but even then paleo people knew they knew.
  • jenn26point2
    jenn26point2 Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    Do paleo people realize there is sugar in fruit?

There's a difference between fructose and sucrose.

Educate yo-self: http://youtu.be/dBnniua6-oM

ummmmmmmmmmmmmmm. lustig isn't exactly a fan of fructose...so I'm not sure what point you are making by posting that video.

Educate yo-self!

http://www.alanaragonblog.com/2010/01/29/the-bitter-truth-about-fructose-alarmism/

You're right... he's not a fan of fructose either... but he explains the difference between fructose and sucrose in this video - which is why I posted it... he also says that whole fruit is ok (in moderation <--- that blastphemous word) b/c the fructose is still bound to fiber.

I will read your posted link b/c I'm always willing to learn more. Thanks for sharing.
  • Quieau
    Quieau Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    I doubt that I count as a full-fledged sugarphobe since I still have some in my diet and I'm not against all kinds of sugar, just the highly processed kind with no other nutritional value. I would put alcohol in that category and I avoid it because of its effect on the liver (the sugars). Teetotaler? No, I guess I drink about 2-3 beers a year (usually a half beer with a meal of seafood or wings) and a drink or two during our Christmas celebration. Because it's just not worth the calories to me. If you drink to the level of having a buzz, you're really overdoing it on the sugar/alcohol in most cases. I don't think it's going to kill anyone unless they do it all the time. I have (as a middle aged woman now in my 50s) witnessed the liver failure and subsequent premature death of several friends who relied more on alcohol sugars than food for sustenance at times. It's very sad, but I don't think everyone who has a drink or a few is headed down that path.

It's all about priorities. Alcohol may not be a priority, but I'll sugar if it's in organic ice cream or home baked goods. In small amounts and mixed with good nutrition, there's no harm in it to the body, as the body is always self-healing. It's when you overwhelm the body's ability to heal from your damage with the sheer volume (and without adding any real nutrition to aid in that detoxification process) that you really get into trouble.

Most of the dangers of processed sugars are long term. Many can enjoy years, decades or even a lifetime of enjoyment of sugar and alcohol based on a lucky balance of genetics, lifestyle and activity levels (activity helps your body cope with the alcohol and junk too). There are so many factors that play into it, and many don't really start feeling its effects until their later years. Hindsight is always 20/20. I'm glad I never developed the alcohol habit, but the caramel habit has done me just as much damage, I'm pretty sure.
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    most "paleo people" follow the paleo diet mostly for medicinal reasons

Haha! That's funny.

Anyway, the person you're responding to didn't mention paleo. Neither did the OP. This thread isn't about paleo.
  • marvybells
    marvybells Posts: 1,984 Member
    Options
    now i want a drink :drinker:

me too! the pinot in the fridge is calling my name and it doesn't seem to care that it's only 10:30am on a thursday
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    all kinds of sugar, just the highly processed kind with no other nutritional value.

You know sugar is considered a "nutritive sweetener" (as opposed to non-nutritive sweeteners like aspartame)?

Yeah, it turns out that sugar is a carbohydrate. Carbohydrates are macronutrients.

Macronutrient.

Sugar is inherently nutritive, as it provides calories.
  • Cindyinpg
    Cindyinpg Posts: 3,902 Member
    Options
    Hmmm.. I manage a liquor store and I've noticed most frequent alcohol buyers also purchase chips, pop and chocolate bars without any apparent guilt. The ones who don't buy the confectionary items are also usually the ones who are on the hunt for gluten free, low carb, organic or diet booze..... undoubtedly under an assumption that those are healthier. Those products are also priced far higher.
  • BrainyBurro
    BrainyBurro Posts: 6,129 Member
    Options
    all ethanol is created by the fermentation of glucose, sucrose, and/or fructose.

the resulting ethanol is nothing if not highly refined and processed sugar.

that makes it bad and off-limits to sugarphobic people, right?

i wonder how many people who insist that table sugar is "teh debil" are intellectually consistent enough to be teetotallers as well.

During fermentation, glucose/sucrose/fructose are broken down and converted into ethanol. So, the sugar is no longer there.

so you're saying that a sugary drink like plain orange juice is to be avoided, but something like grain alcohol where the sugars have been fully consumed during fermentation, is perfectly fine to drink and consistent with a low-sugar lifestyle? hmmmmmm...
  • Bry_Fitness70
    Bry_Fitness70 Posts: 2,480 Member
    Options
    Jack Daniels = no sugar, no hypocrisy up in here
  • nomeejerome
    nomeejerome Posts: 2,616 Member
    Options
    I'm glad I never developed the alcohol habit, but the caramel habit has done me just as much damage, I'm pretty sure.

Me thinks you should do some more research......the open mind kind.
  • jenn26point2
    jenn26point2 Posts: 429 Member
    Options

Haha! That's funny.

Anyway, the person you're responding to didn't mention paleo. Neither did the OP. This thread isn't about paleo.

The post I responded to was after the one referencing "paleo people"... my mistake for making an incorrect connection. Sue me.
  • BrainyBurro
    Options

Haha! That's funny.

The post I responded to was after the one referencing "paleo people"... my mistake for making the connection. Sue me.

you'll be hearing from my attorneys! :angry:

31249193_400x400.jpg
  • bacitracin
    bacitracin Posts: 921 Member
    Options
    Absolut vodka doesn't have carbs. Neither does good whiskey. The only problem with it is that my body stops burning fat when processing ethanol until the ethanol is burned off.

The great thing about being on a ketogenic diet is that 1 shot gets me WASTED.
  • InForBacon
    InForBacon Posts: 1,508 Member
    Options
    Just eat bacon.
  • BrainyBurro
    Options
    BTW, note to the mods.

sugar-phobia = fear of sugar
    sugar-phobes = those who fear sugar

i think this is a 100% accurate description of a mindset that is seen all too frequently on MFP of late.
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    I doubt that I count as a full-fledged sugarphobe since I still have some in my diet and I'm not against all kinds of sugar, just the highly processed kind with no other nutritional value. I would put alcohol in that category and I avoid it because of its effect on the liver (the sugars). Teetotaler? No, I guess I drink about 2-3 beers a year (usually a half beer with a meal of seafood or wings) and a drink or two during our Christmas celebration. Because it's just not worth the calories to me. If you drink to the level of having a buzz, you're really overdoing it on the sugar/alcohol in most cases. I don't think it's going to kill anyone unless they do it all the time. I have (as a middle aged woman now in my 50s) witnessed the liver failure and subsequent premature death of several friends who relied more on alcohol sugars than food for sustenance at times. It's very sad, but I don't think everyone who has a drink or a few is headed down that path.

It's all about priorities. Alcohol may not be a priority, but I'll sugar if it's in organic ice cream or home baked goods. In small amounts and mixed with good nutrition, there's no harm in it to the body, as the body is always self-healing. It's when you overwhelm the body's ability to heal from your damage with the sheer volume (and without adding any real nutrition to aid in that detoxification process) that you really get into trouble.

Most of the dangers of processed sugars are long term. Many can enjoy years, decades or even a lifetime of enjoyment of sugar and alcohol based on a lucky balance of genetics, lifestyle and activity levels (activity helps your body cope with the alcohol and junk too). There are so many factors that play into it, and many don't really start feeling its effects until their later years. Hindsight is always 20/20. I'm glad I never developed the alcohol habit, but the caramel habit has done me just as much damage, I'm pretty sure.

This. The other effects of alcohol just aren't worth it to me, most of the time. I'll have me some good whiskey, vodka, or mead once in a while (at most, once a month, and usually only on special occasions), but not enough to get even much of a buzz.
    so you're saying that a sugary drink like plain orange juice is to be avoided, but something like grain alcohol where the sugars have been fully consumed during fermentation, is perfectly fine to drink and consistent with a low-sugar lifestyle? hmmmmmm...

Technically speaking, yes, since there's not much in the way of sugar left (depending on the type, of course). The whole point of fermentation of anything is to allow yeast or other beneficial bacteria to eat the sugars in the carrier liquid. That said, it still has calories, and many people consider that and the effects of alcohol to not be worth drinking on any kind of regular basis. That whole "don't drink your calories" thing.
    Hmmm.. I manage a liquor store and I've noticed most frequent alcohol buyers also purchase chips, pop and chocolate bars without any apparent guilt. The ones who don't buy the confectionary items are also usually the ones who are on the hunt for gluten free, low carb, organic or diet booze..... undoubtedly under an assumption that those are healthier. Those products are also priced far higher.

Most of the people I know that actively seek out gluten free alcohols do so because they can't tolerate the gluten even in alcohols. The rest, well, it depends on what they're getting. Things like wine and sherry are often used for cooking, where being organic may make a difference in the resulting flavor profile.
  • Quieau
    Quieau Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    all kinds of sugar, just the highly processed kind with no other nutritional value.

You know sugar is considered a "nutritive sweetener" (as opposed to non-nutritive sweeteners like aspartame)?

Yeah, it turns out that sugar is a carbohydrate. Carbohydrates are macronutrients.

Macronutrient.

Sugar is inherently nutritive, as it provides calories.

That's why I said "no OTHER nutritional value" instead of "no nutritional value" ... if you want to pick nits, at least be accurate in your assessment of my statement. (EDITED TO ADD FOR CLARITY: If I ingest sugar, I try to make sure it has OTHER nutritional value in addition to its energy provision. Examples: calcium, protein, fiber, minerals, vitamins ... which is why I make exceptions for "clean" ice cream and homebaked goods.) As I said, it's a personal priority. We all have ours. Isn't that the point? To prioritize and choose wisely?)
  • The_Enginerd
    The_Enginerd Posts: 3,983 Member
    Options
    I go back one step further. Sugar is highly processed CO2 and H20. I stick just to water and breathing, all natural!

photosynthesis_equation.jpg
This discussion has been closed.