Anyone do HIIT?

Options
I am a cardio person, and I usually couple it with moderate strength training. I read a few articles that talked about how HIIT was so much better than standard cardio - so I tried it. I almost passed out! It was awesome while I was doing it but after 10 minutes (30 secs on, 90 secs off) I got dizzy and threw up in the bathroom. I thought I was starting easy too! Anyone have any tips? Did I go too hard too fast? I took me about 25 minutes to recover afterwards. Maybe I'm just not in shape enough for it yet.

Should I just stick with my standard cardio/weight machine routine?

Thanks!

Replies

• ChrisLindsay9
    ChrisLindsay9 Posts: 837 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you did HIIT successfully. It's all about going 100% for a short period of time, followed by near rest for another shorter period of time. 10 minutes is more than enough. If you were able to go longer, then you likely wouldn't give that 100%. It's supposed to be something done within a short period of time, otherwise it's just interval training (without the High Intensity part).

If you're interested, you can listen to this podcast episode about HIIT. There's a researcher who's a guest expert on HIIT, that talks about the science/studies about it, as well as how it's used in different fitness programs.

http://www.brinkzone.com/general-fitness-info/brinkzone-radio-covers-hiit-training/

Great job! HIIT is really challenging.
  • msjackie30
    msjackie30 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I always do HIIT after my weight lifting sessions. I do mine slightly different though. I do not go all out from the very beginning, I let my body warm up to it and I go for about 25-30 mins. My typical routine is run at level 8 for 30 secs (treadmill) and then jog at 4.0 for 1 minute. I do that for about 15 mins but the first few mins I run at level 7 , level 8 is intense for me. At the end I increase the incline to about an 8 and run at like level 5.5 and do the same thing. I get a good sweat in, im going to try different variations. I tried doing HIIT on the elliptical but did not get a good sweat session, I dont know I think treadmill is more effective for me. :)
  • The_Last_Timelord
    Options
    Sounds like you did HIIT successfully. It's all about going 100% for a short period of time, followed by near rest for another shorter period of time. 10 minutes is more than enough. If you were able to go longer, then you likely wouldn't give that 100%. It's supposed to be something done within a short period of time, otherwise it's just interval training (without the High Intensity part).

If you're interested, you can listen to this podcast episode about HIIT. There's a researcher who's a guest expert on HIIT, that talks about the science/studies about it, as well as how it's used in different fitness programs.

http://www.brinkzone.com/general-fitness-info/brinkzone-radio-covers-hiit-training/

Great job! HIIT is really challenging.

Thanks Chris! That's really helpful - I'm going to listen to this in a minute. Maybe I shouldn't give it up yet. My only concerns are will I have to give up strength training if I do HIIT twice a week? It's freakin tough. I guess I will keep at it and just stick with what I did on Monday - hopefully I wont throw up this time.
  • bcf7683
    bcf7683 Posts: 1,653 Member
    Options
    You don't necessarily have to run to perform HIIT. I pair barbell complexes with jump rope and burpees.

I'll do 2 sequences of barbell complexes followed by a minute of jump rope, two more sequences, a minute of burpees, 2 more sequences, 1 minute jump rope.....rinse, repeat. I usually do 15 minutes. Drag your sweaty as$ out of the gym after that and feel like a champ.

Edit to add- My barbell sequence is (5 reps each x 2 [x 3 if I'm feeling froggy]):
    Bent over rows
    Overhead press
    Squat
    Romanian deadlift
    Barbell curl
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    I do HiiT on treadmill days (when the weather outside isn't cooperative). It takes some getting used to, that's for sure. I'd say keep doing it.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    You don't necessarily have to run to perform HIIT. I pair barbell complexes with jump rope and burpees.

I'll do 2 sequences of barbell complexes followed by a minute of jump rope, two more sequences, a minute of burpees, 2 more sequences, 1 minute jump rope.....rinse, repeat. I usually do 15 minutes. Drag your sweaty as$ out of the gym after that and feel like a champ.

THIS

It drives me a little insane when people say they HIIT for cardio.

I'm like. sigh. HIIT isn't cardio. It isn't running. it isn't jump rope. it isn't spinning.

HIIT is a WAY of training- you can DO it with anything- with one exercise- with 10 exercises- with 2 exercises- rotating between 'cardio' and weights. Meaning- do jump rope and BB complex- or simple lifts- or PLYOS.

I love mixing weights with calethestics or plyometrics. Frog jumps- burpee box jumps? KB swings- push ups- pull ups.

Whatever.

doesn't matter- it's simply a timing structure- of HOW You do the workout- it can be any activity.

that being said I love HIIT training- it's perfect for my days I don't have time to do a full 4 hour workout.
  • TabithaRose87
    TabithaRose87 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I tried it once, it was awesome in a holy crap I'm going to die kind of way. Been too scare to try it again, if anyone has HIIT ideas for beginners I would love some advice. Just friend/message me :-)
  • The_Last_Timelord
    Options
    I tried it once, it was awesome in a holy crap I'm going to die kind of way. Been too scare to try it again, if anyone has HIIT ideas for beginners I would love some advice. Just friend/message me :-)

This ! I would love some tips for beginners. I also thought I was going to have a heart attack. I understand HIIT doesnt have to be cardio, but I LOVE cardio, so for me, it's probably be the best way to integrate it in. Maybe I will do strength training and then HIIT via cardio.
  • madtownjeremy
    Options
    I replaced all my LISS with HIIT and the results have been amazing.

...and yes, if you're doing it for 10-15 minutes and feel like you have to hurl then you're doing it right. :)

What's really cool though is if you go and do HIIT exclusively for, say a month...then go back and do a nice 4-5 mile LISS run, you'll be absolutely FLOORED at how much more speed and stamina you have. The muscle conditioning that happens during HIIT is almost like doing squats and deadlifts; you engage literally everything all at once at max intensity with no air. Amazing stuff.

This is what I used to get started and it worked wonders! I stayed at stage 1 for a LONG time but that's totally okay...work it at your own pace and you'll be astonished at the results! http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/ultimate-8-week-hiit-for-fat-burning-program.html
  • msjackie30
    msjackie30 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I replaced all my LISS with HIIT and the results have been amazing.

...and yes, if you're doing it for 10-15 minutes and feel like you have to hurl then you're doing it right. :)

What's really cool though is if you go and do HIIT exclusively for, say a month...then go back and do a nice 4-5 mile LISS run, you'll be absolutely FLOORED at how much more speed and stamina you have. The muscle conditioning that happens during HIIT is almost like doing squats and deadlifts; you engage literally everything all at once at max intensity with no air. Amazing stuff.

This is what I used to get started and it worked wonders! I stayed at stage 1 for a LONG time but that's totally okay...work it at your own pace and you'll be astonished at the results! http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/ultimate-8-week-hiit-for-fat-burning-program.html

What is LISS?
  • madtownjeremy
    Options
    Ah sorry about that. LISS is Low Impact Steady State cardio....or simply 'running'. :)
  • funforsports
    funforsports Posts: 2,656 Member
    Options
    It sounds like you are doing it correctly now. Keep doing it hard and it will get a little easier and won't take you quite as long to recover.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options

that's kind of how it always is.

Let me let you in on secret. You never "get good at it" you just suck less.

They ALWAYS suck. That is the nature of the beast. The other aspect of that- is simple to make sure you do your best- you will fail. You will not be able to do any more reps. That's okay- stop doing THAT version- down grade to a modified. Totally okay.

If I'm lifting- I will often keep 3 sets of weights... and by my last round I will start with a heavier weight and drop to a lower weight.

other thing- down load a timer on your phone- or order a gymboss timer. I actually PREFER my gymboss- it's easier to work out with and less annoying- but it is expensive and you have to manually change it every time- which is a chore- the phone is just tap and change.

But. you can set the intervals for whateve ryou want.... if I'm working with someone I'll do it one of two ways.

I'll do full 10/50 split (10 seconds rest- 50 seconds work) and only do one round- so maybe 4 or 5 minutes- maybe 7.

Or you can do 12/15 seconds of rest- and only 30 or 45 seconds of work... you can do a full 10-12 minute workout this way- or you can again- do them in 'split rounds- like do 5 minutes- take a break. do another 5 minutes.

I'm in great shape- really- I am. 12 minutes still kicks my *kitten* all over the place. That's the beauty of them- you always push harder as you get fitter- but you start- but simply doing the best you can.
  • Phildog47
    Phildog47 Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    I did HIIT before they called it that.
  • FrauHaas2013
    FrauHaas2013 Posts: 615 Member
    Options
    I do it with jump roping...I jump casually for a couple minutes, then really fast for a couple minutes, then lather, rinse and repeat for 20 minutes.
  • MariaChele85
    MariaChele85 Posts: 267 Member
    Options

THIS

It drives me a little insane when people say they HIIT for cardio.

I'm like. sigh. HIIT isn't cardio. It isn't running. it isn't jump rope. it isn't spinning.

HIIT is a WAY of training- you can DO it with anything- with one exercise- with 10 exercises- with 2 exercises- rotating between 'cardio' and weights. Meaning- do jump rope and BB complex- or simple lifts- or PLYOS.

I love mixing weights with calethestics or plyometrics. Frog jumps- burpee box jumps? KB swings- push ups- pull ups.

Whatever.

doesn't matter- it's simply a timing structure- of HOW You do the workout- it can be any activity.

that being said I love HIIT training- it's perfect for my days I don't have time to do a full 4 hour workout.

^^^ Agree 100%, HIIT doesnt have to be all cardio or treadmill.
  • davemunger
    davemunger Posts: 1,139 Member
    Options
    I did HIIT before they called it that.

Yeah, runners call it "intervals" or "repeats" and I started doing them in 1983. However, my understanding of how they work is that you don't necessarily need to work yourself to complete exhaustion in order for them to be effective. Ideally you should be doing them at a pace such that, when you're done with the workout, you feel like you could do one or two more. In this way you get all the cardiovascular benefits but greatly reduce the danger of injury.
  • Mischievous_Rascal
    Mischievous_Rascal Posts: 1,791 Member
    Options
    I do HIIT on the treadmill, twice a week, for 20 minutes each time. I started out slowly with this routine:

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/ultimate-8-week-hiit-for-fat-burning-program.html

Enjoy!! :happy:
  • FrauMama
    FrauMama Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    I do HIIT, too, mostly with weights, but sometimes cardio--but cardio like burpees, jump lunges, jump rope, etc...not so much with running or the more typicical, (ie boring ;) ) cardio modes. I'd primarily done HIIT for cardio in the past, for maybe 10 years, mostly because it's the only thing that's kept it interesting and steady-state anything sort of feels like a waste of time to me. But, now, doing it with weights (or just bodyweight, but strength-training moves) for the past year or so, I've gotten incredible results and am super lean--much moreso than when I did more typical lifting.

Yeah, it's hard at first. I used to teach a class that used a lot of HIIT and one college girl came in raring to go...and she ended up puking, sort of like what you described (despite my repeatedly telling her to take a break, to modify, etc--I think she was trying to keep up with all of us 30-40-year-olds!) Anyway, it will get easier....well, maybe not easier, but certainly more manageable. Just keep it up. You'll likely see awesome results, if you're eating well, too.

Good luck!
  • phjorg1
    phjorg1 Posts: 642 Member
    Options
    itt: people who have no idea what hiit is. If you're using a treadmill, you're not doing hiit. sorry. 8mph is not anywhere near full out.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/High-intensity_interval_training

edit: 8mph = 28 second 100m. thats like 75% slower than you should be running. or in other words, thats not much faster than what you should be running for the "recovery" portion of hiit, much less the active portion. There is zero reason here for anyone not morbidly obese or hurt to be running 100m over 17-18 seconds. Most anyone with any running training will be running sub 16 easy. 18 second 100m translates to 12.5mph. so thats a bare min of what your treadmill should be set to to be considered hiit imo..

oh look, here's a video of a 6 year old running 100m 10 seconds faster than you. http://youtu.be/qSNA_Tm8usY How embarrassing to know that children are able to output 100% more intensity than you. Self reflection time folks. You're not working out hard enough.