Egg Whites

Options

Replies

• stunningalmond
    stunningalmond Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    What about dairy? Some chives with a bit of sour cream would be tasty. :) Why are you only eating the whites? I find the yolk adds flavour... the whites are so bland.
  • SlimmingMeDown
    SlimmingMeDown Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I love whole eggs, and eat them hard-boiled with breakfast or for snacks.

But now I am craving sizzling over-easy eggs with some crispy hash browns. Lordy!
  • paulylovesme
    Options
    I like to throw in some spinach and put in muffin tins i can then bake into mini fritattas. I also add a wedge of laughing cow light chipotle cheese for a creamy egg white omelet.

ohhhh GREAT idea!!! I am gonna try that this weekend! Thanks bunches!
  • gringuitica
    gringuitica Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    Agree on needing to eat more calories! I'll recommend a banana pancake for breakfast:

1 whole egg
    2 egg whites
    1 med-large banana
    Strawberries, blueberries, blackberries or whatever

Mash the banana and beat in the eggs. Pour into a greased (Pam will do it) frying pan to cook. Bonus points if you can flip it so both sides are golden.

Top with 1 cup of your favorite fruit. Berries are delicious and keep the meal very low-cal (about 250-300, depending on the size of your ingredients.)
  • Athijade
    Athijade Posts: 3,269 Member
    Options
    Thanks all for the ideas :) Again I see no problem cutting out man made carbs. I am sorry to disagree with ya'll. I eat fruits and veggies and will have some sort of "heavy carb" Ie (pasta or rice or bread) before my pm work out. I am going to seriously consider raising my calories though. I do not want my body to just lose muscle and not fat. I have done that and I still am struggling to gain that muscle back. Again I do appreciate all of your comments :)

Then you are doing it wrong. If you don't want to lose muscle, you need to eat more calories. Drastic calorie restriction leads to an increased amount of muscle loss.
  • willdob3
    willdob3 Posts: 640 Member
    Options
    Whole eggs are a perfect protein. Seriously. Tossing the yolk is throwing away most of the nutrition. If you need to cut calories you should do it elsewhere.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    Agree on needing to eat more calories! I'll recommend a banana pancake for breakfast:

1 whole egg
    2 egg whites
    1 med-large banana
    Strawberries, blueberries, blackberries or whatever

Mash the banana and beat in the eggs. Pour into a greased (Pam will do it) frying pan to cook. Bonus points if you can flip it so both sides are golden.

Top with 1 cup of your favorite fruit. Berries are delicious and keep the meal very low-cal (about 250-300, depending on the size of your ingredients.)

I generally dislike banana flavored anything- although i do really like real banana's.... that being said this is not a bad mix- I've made it once or twice and especially with some fruit on top with a dollip of whipcream? it's pretty tasty- and they make a good pick-me-upper later in the afternoon.

Whole eggs are a perfect protein. Seriously. Tossing the yolk is throwing away most of the nutrition. If you need to cut calories you should do it elsewhere.[/quote[
    also agreed.
    Egg whites- just ugh- can't do it. I may skim my hardboiled yolks- but I feel like since I eat upwards of 6 scrambled eggs whole a day- I can afford to lose 2-3 yolks. Seriously.
  • abuckner5
    abuckner5 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I see that there are a few people who do not agree with your choice of calorie restriction. However, I also limit my calories somewhat excessively- 1050-1100 calories a day. I am doing this under the advisement and supervision of 2 doctors. When calories are limited protein has to be increased to help with tissue repair, prevention of hair loss, etc. I make "egg muffins" with egg whites, broccoli, and low cal/low fat cheese (usually an italian blend), cook in muffin tins. Really yummy! I weighed 242.8lbs on June 20th at beginning of my journey and now weigh 199.8 today. Loss of 43 pounds. Keep your veggies and protein up and you are good to go!
  • DizzyLinds
    DizzyLinds Posts: 856 Member
    Options
    I microwave mine, then add cinnamon, frozen berries, total Greek yogurt and maybe a tiny bit of honey....tastes so good!!!
  • elsyoommen
    elsyoommen Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    if you eat oat bran - you can make oat bran crepes. I eat these every day rolled around greek yogurt berries and almonds.
  • laceyr89
    Options
    1: Cinnamon & stevia
    2: Eat more.
  • Spaghetti_Bender
    Spaghetti_Bender Posts: 509 Member
    Options
    I'll add some brown rice and Sriracha to my egg whites. It tastes great IMO..
  • shapefitter
    shapefitter Posts: 900 Member
    Options
    :indifferent:
  • shapefitter
    shapefitter Posts: 900 Member
    Options
    :blushing: :heart: :indifferent:
  • janinab75
    janinab75 Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    I use spinach, onions, sweet red peppers, sweet orange peppers, crushed garlic, and a little salt.
  • DymonNdaRgh40
    DymonNdaRgh40 Posts: 661 Member
    Options
    I usually do one whole egg and then two egg whites. I always add chopped garlic and onions. From there it's usually bell peppers, spinach, mushrooms, and cheese. Leftover chicken breast is good, ham, or lean sausage also works. I do a lot of stir fry's too so I'll use those veggies like shredded cabbage, carrots, broccoli, and snow peas as well. Perhaps play around with different cheeses too like parmesean and provolone.
  • bkw99508
    bkw99508 Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    Salsa, greek yogurt or sour cream, oh....and BACON...mostly BACON.

I usually use whole eggs but I'm sure it would be good with just whites.
  • GingerLolita
    GingerLolita Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    Having a higher "reserve" of fat doesn't mean your body won't go into starvation mode. When you restrict your calories too much, your body doesn't allow you to lose weight because it believes you're starving. The general advice is to consume at least 1200 net calories/day, accounting for calories lost with exercise. Set your MFP goal to lose 2 pounds/week and see what you're really supposed to be eating. Stay as close to this as possible; don't strive to stay under.

Also, don't be afraid of grains! Whole grains are good for you and very filling. Rather than cutting out grains completely, I avoid processed grains when possible.

I actually love the taste of egg whites! I typically eat 1 whole egg or 1 egg + 1-3 whites. I love scrambling with bell peppers, tomatoes, spinach, zucchini... whatever veggies I have, in a small amount of olive oil. I add black pepper, basil, garlic... anything I'm in the mood for, and sometimes top with some salsa or a drizzle of balsamic vinegar.
  • calibriintx
    calibriintx Posts: 1,741 Member
    Options
    Try them, try them, and you may! Try them and you may, I say.
  • SherryTeach
    SherryTeach Posts: 2,836 Member
    Options
    All the best nutrients are in the yolk. Eat it and lots more food as well. Also reading this thread made me want to cook hash browns tomorrow. . . in butter. I think I will.