Losing Weight before pregnancy

Options
I posted this in the motivation forum as well, but thought I might get more responses if I post to both :)

I have been a serial dieter for most of my life. I even had a lap band, lost a ton of weight and over the course of 7 years I have gained it all back. In the past, my desire to lose weight has always been to look good and to be healthy. Now I have an added reason. I went to the dr to discuss pregnancy planning and she recommended I lose quite a bit of weight before we even think of having a baby. I've heard so many different opinions on what I need to do...most being that I should just go ahead and get pregnant b/c I am going to weight anyway. Here's the issue - My husband and I are both ready to have a baby now. I'm 32 years old, so I'm not young. The only thing standing in the way of us starting a family is my weight. The dr recommended I lose 60 lbs. It just feels like it's so far away and it honesly depresses me to think that I have to wait so long before we can start trying to have a baby.

So having said all of that, I'm still planning on losing weight before we begin to begin trying. Just so that I can have realistic expectations, about how long would it take to lose that kind of weight tracking calories and exercising 3-5 times per week? Is the 2 lbs per week a realistic number? Any other feedback or encouragement anyone could provide me would be extremely helpful.

Replies

• Rmazula
    Rmazula Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    The 2 pds per week I have found a challenge with, but I don't have the motivation some do. I would say more realistically 1-1.5 pds to be able to keep it off. I am certain I could lose weight faster if I ate cleaner and exercised more vigorously - but at the same time, right now, I think I am doing pretty well considering some things. I am also getting ready to try and conceive. I am 5'10" and down to 192 from 208. It has taken a while though. I have also been switching medications because I am epileptic & a chronic migraneur so changing medicines has been tough on my body - emotionally and physically. I feel like I am getting ready for the Olympics! So this baby should know how much it is loved! I am turning 31 in December, so I def. get the age thing. Best of luck. I have to take prenatal vitamins with folic acid prior to pregnancy b/c of my epilepsy, but I would recommend anyone who is going to try to start taking those vitamins ahead of time - just so your body has them in your system.
  • sweebum
    sweebum Posts: 1,060 Member
    Options
    2 lbs a week is fine provided you have a lot to lose. The more weight you lose before pregnancy, the better. I had only lost 20 lbs before getting pregnant with my 2nd, but it makes a HUGE difference on your knees, your back, and fatigue. The healthier the better. You will also lose more in the beginning if you are in a good deficit, but that will slow down after a few weeks.
  • Merrs1981
    Options
    Thank you both for your reply! Your feedback is very helpful :)
  • yaznotthepill
    yaznotthepill Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I too want to have a baby (well another one I have 1st grader) and for various health reasons I have to lose weight beforehand (25-35 lbs). I'm older than you and I understand the frustration about wanting to be pregnant already but as another person said losing the weight will make almost all aspects of the pregnancy easier not only on your joints but also in terms of keeping your chances of getting gestational diabetes low. I think losing 2 lbs a week in the beginning maybe doable as long as you feel motivated to keep it up. Maybe we can be support for each other on our pre-pregnancy weight loss journey? Best of luck.
  • Nelle7250
    Options
    I think 2 pounds is a realistic goal if you have a lot of weight to lose. I'm 37 and getting ready to start trying for baby no 3. I was 32 when I found out I was pregnant with no 1 and very over weight. I had lots of medical issues and gestational diabetes. I lost 25kg during my pregnancy because of my medical issues but bub was ok. I would recommend sitting down and looking at your lifestyle realistically and making some changes. Look at it as changes for the better and don't consider it to be a diet. Its often easier said than done and I'm struggling myself with making some more changes this time around. I found low GI eating was what helped me shed my first lot of kilos and I felt better for it and had lots more energy so that's what I plan on re-introducing. As we approach summer here it gets easier to exercise too. I'm not a traditional go to the gym person I prefer to generally be more active whether it be around the house or at the park with my kids. I'd be happy to be your weight loss buddy and hopefully we can support each other to healthier happier souls :)
  • callas444
    callas444 Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    Every pound you lose before you conceive will make for a more comfortable pregnancy. Women who are overweight and obese have a higher chance of having gestational diabetes and pregnancy induced high blood pressure (pre-eclampsia). Swelling and sore feet are made worse by pregnancy too (as well as back pain and other body aches that overweight folks are known to have). It's hard to wait, but it's worth the healthy pregnancy.
  • SASSYGIRLY30
    SASSYGIRLY30 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • TLC7613
    TLC7613 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    Right there with ya! I'll be TTC this time next year and i've got about 50+ lbs to lose!