IS my workout plan good? Someone told me it was horrible

Options
Im going to the gym for the first time today after taking the tour I saw all the machines and heres what I wanted to do today:

20 minutes treadmill
20 minutes cycling
10 minutes stepper machine
20 minutes stair master
10 minutes aerobics (stuff like 10 squats,10 pushups etc.)

I asked some guy on yahoo answers if It was good and he told me to change the treadmill to 10 minutes and cycling to 15 minutes. And to fast 2 days a week. I dont know but that sounded like bad advice to me. Is my workout okay or should I change i up?

Replies

• JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    it is terrible

all I see is cardio. less cardio- more lifting.

he was probably mocking you.
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    I'd say it pretty unbalanced. Why are you doing 6 different types of cardio in one workout and no resistance training? Do one type of cardio per workout for 20 to 30 minutes and then some resistance training for a similar amount of time. You are doing a little of a lot of the same thing and likely not accomplishing much.
  • hibbertamie
    Options
    what is so terrible about it? its still moving your body and burning cals and fat. good on you i say. xxxx
  • blueboxgeek
    blueboxgeek Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    I'd definitely go with some less cardio and more strength/ resistance training.
  • rduhlir
    rduhlir Posts: 3,550 Member
    Options
    I agree...that is a lot of cardio for just a simple workout plan. I would at least throw -some- lifting in there, even if it is just a simple full body circuit.
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    Whether or not it's good or horrible depends quite heavily on your goals.
  • Miss_Meliss86
    Miss_Meliss86 Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    Too much cardio. Not enough lifting. Depends on your goals when it comes down to it, but that is a LOT of cardio for one session...
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    It's impossible to say without knowing more about your actual fitness level and your goals. Basically, you're doing an hour of cardio (which is, usually, great) and 10 minutes of bodyweight exercises (might be a bit on the low side, but again, depends on goals etc).

Personally, it would drive me nuts to be switching activities that often, but hey, we're all made a bit differently, if that's what floats your boat there isn't anything wrong with it.
  • onetoughmudder
    Options

this

and in before 14,000 more 'you need more resistance' repsonses
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options
    it is terrible

This exactly.
  • Mainebikerchick
    Mainebikerchick Posts: 1,573 Member
    Options
    it is terrible

^^THIS!!
  • Baesaman
    Options
    create a balance with cardio and weight training. adding muscle is healthy.

**before you say "i dont want to get big/bulky" you WONT. guys get big because of testosterone. dont be scared to lift weights! GL
  • flumi_f
    flumi_f Posts: 1,888 Member
    Options
    Just depends on what your want. If you have the possibility do some weight training too. I too think a mix would be better.

The gym should have a trainer whocan show you what and how. Just make an appointment.

Oh, and I actually do fast twice a week...it's called 5:2 and I'm very happy with it.
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Options
    Not knowing your goals and current fitness level it is hard to tell.

I'm glad to see you reaching out to better yourself. :)

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1105383-some1-that-has-had-cancer-would-like-share-a-run-with-me-2
  • Alex_is_Hawks
    Alex_is_Hawks Posts: 3,499 Member
    Options

this...plus I question all the starting and stopping...

if you are going to go with cardio, are you trying to achieve some sort of HIIT routine?

or just jumping on different machines for funsies?

If you are raising your heart rate to high intensity on each machine and then taking a break, those are long periods for high intensity...

but if you are raising your heart rate for just a good burn, you may want to stick to one machine and just do it for the whole work out.

but really at this point, not knowing your goals, it's hard to say what you are trying to achieve here.

oh and...i am pro lifting. I like it, the resistance is good for you (I feel) I wouldn't want to do JUST cardio but that is me. and a lot of people in here.
  • Escape_Artist
    Escape_Artist Posts: 1,155 Member
    Options
    That's a lot of cardio... :sick:

Add some weights in there
  • buzzcockgirl
    buzzcockgirl Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    I see your profile pic is BOOT CAMP. I'd take more of those 'ideas'... incorporate 'cross training' where you get your heart rate up fast (cardio), then do some exercises that incorporate more lifting.
    I agree with all the posts above... a little less cardio, more strength. You can choose to do a day of cardio, then a day of strength training... but it's good to maybe break it up each day: 45 mins cardio, 20 mins lifting. Just an idea...?
    No matter what you choose to do- good job getting moving! It's ALL better than sitting on the couch!
  • madworld1
    madworld1 Posts: 524
    Options
    It all depends on your ultimate goals. I started out with cardio and I later added lifting. You're going to get a lot of mixed responses here.

It doesn't look terrible though. At least you are exercising.
  • Justifier
    Justifier Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    That seems like an awfully long time on machines doing cardio.

Sidesteel is right, though, what are you trying to accomplish most right now?
  • Jacwhite22
    Jacwhite22 Posts: 7,012 Member
    Options
    It's awful. In fact it's so bad I am not sure if you are serious or just trolling. If you are serious PM me and I will help you....but not going to waste my time if you aren't