vitamins for women

Options
What vitamins do you guys take on a daily basis? I know I need to take vitamins but not sure what's essential and what's not.

Replies

• groucherella
    Options
    Acidolphilus is good for the female system and then I take a woman's one a day.
  • jillybeanruns
    jillybeanruns Posts: 1,420 Member
    Options
    I used to take calcium and one a day women's. But really, I've found that I'm pretty healthy and most research says vitamins aren't worth the cost for the minimal benefits they provide. I eat a pretty healthy diet and get tons of calcium now. So unless you have some sort of deficiency, I think it's best to save your money!
  • tabbydog
    tabbydog Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    I take Vit. D3, joint supplement and fish oil.
  • MacMadame
    MacMadame Posts: 1,893 Member
    Options
    Most people in North America (and similar latitudes) don't get enough Vitamin D. Low Vitamin D is linked to fatigue, poor calcium absorption and certain cancers.

So I take on 50,000 IU pill of Vitamin D3 every Monday. Since I've been doing that, my levels have gone from 32 to 100! (New research suggests levels should be at least 45 or 55 and that it's okay to be as high as 100. Old recommendations were much lower.) The cool thing about Vitamin D is that it's fat soluble so you can take it once a week like that. It cuts down on the number of pills I have to take each day.

I also take a store brand version of Centrum multi-vitamin. The women's vitamins have too much calcium and it's not in a very absorbable form. The reason I say they have too much is that calcium interferes with the absorption of certain other minerals like iron because they compete for the same receptors and calcium always wins. Therefore, if you don't take a separate iron supplement, you shouldn't be taking a vitamin with a high calcium content. Take the calcium separately.

I take 500 mg of calcium citrate 3x a day. (You can't absorb much more than this at a time and calcium carbonate -- which is what most supplements and multis use -- is not as well absorbed. I use Citrical or the store brand version of it.

Then I take some other stuff as part of my acupuncture treatments for a calf injury and I also take Biotin (50 mg) and Co-enzyme Q10 (50 mg) as biotin helps your body absorb food better and the CoQ10 gives your cells more energy, which is good if you work out a lot.
  • BeSexy
    BeSexy Posts: 94
    Options
    I do Shakeology. It's not like most vitamins that come in pill form and don't get absorbed by the body. It's the best I've ever used for vitamins plus many many many other benefits! I drink it everyday and will forever! We also have doctor's using it and recommending it to their patients.....

http://beachbodycoach.com/esuite/home/BeSexy?bctid=82906800001

Here is a website with more info about it:
    www.HaveYouHadYoursToday.com
  • bbygrl5
    bbygrl5 Posts: 964 Member
    Options
    I take prenatal vitamins for the heck of it, but I don't for a second substitute good nutrition because I'm taking them. Something works because my hair, nails, and skin are all healthier looking and feeling. :)
  • PixieGoddess
    PixieGoddess Posts: 1,833 Member
    Options
    I used to take calcium and one a day women's. But really, I've found that I'm pretty healthy and most research says vitamins aren't worth the cost for the minimal benefits they provide. I eat a pretty healthy diet and get tons of calcium now. So unless you have some sort of deficiency, I think it's best to save your money!

I agree. My nutrition professor always said that it's best to get vitamins and minerals through your food. He also said that most vitamins are a sham, or at least don't live up to what they're supposed to do b/c they're not regulated by the FDA or any other organization, so always do your research first. There are some independent groups that do studies of supplements and give them seals, so that's a great place to start researching.

That said, I'm taking B Complex and Folic Acid, on recommendation from my nurse practitioner. She said she always recommends B Complex for women on birth control. I'm about to have minor surgery to remove some abnormal cells, and Folic Acid promotes healthy cell growth, so that's why she put me on that. Honestly, eat lots of veggies and get a lot of variety in your diet, and you shouldn't need anything extra unless prescribed.
  • TracieDS
    Options
    Whole food vitamins are some of the best kind you can take as they are more absorbable.

I take
    New Chapter Organics Every Woman's Once Daily
    New Chapter Bone Strength
    Fish Oil
    Garden of Life Primal Defense (probiotics).
  • mizfit
    mizfit Posts: 118
    Options
    Whole food vitamins are some of the best kind you can take as they are more absorbable.

I take
    New Chapter Organics Every Woman's Once Daily
    New Chapter Bone Strength
    Fish Oil
    Garden of Life Primal Defense (probiotics).

I take New Chapters Organic Every Woman's Once Daily and it's the best one I've used thus far
  • keysr
    keysr Posts: 19
    Options
    I take Women's One A Day Active Metabolism pills and Women's One A Day 2O drink.
    My Dr. recommended that I take Vitamin B-complex supplements for energy and I swear by them, they really help me keep full energy all day which is great because I work out harder and longer. I few of my friends take them also and have the same effect.
  • SweetPandora
    SweetPandora Posts: 660 Member
    Options
    I take vitamins and supplements daily.

women's multi-vitamin
    calcuium
    Vit. D
    Vit. B complex
    Vitc C
    Omega 3 Fish Oil
    Acidopholus and Bifidus
    glucosamine sulfate

Karen
  • Grokette
    Grokette Posts: 3,330 Member
    Options
    if you are taking synthetic vitamins - purchased from GNC, Wal-Mart, Wal-Greens, CVS, Rite Aid, Grocery Store…………..Etc, etc……

They are doing you NO good, no matter if they are liquid, gummy, pill, etc………..

We should be taking Raw Vitamins that mimic the food we eat. Fresh Veggies and Fruit, meats are not packed with the vitamins, minerals and other nutrients like they used to be. The ground that the crops are planted on are so depleted of vitamins and minerals that our food is seriously lacking.

Even more reason to buy organic from local and sustainable farmers in your local area and only eat what is in season.

I take Natural Creations and have noticed a major difference. I also take 5,000 IU per day of Vitamin D because I am deficient there and causes SAD and overall depression and no energy,
  • LotusF1ower
    LotusF1ower Posts: 1,259 Member
    Options
    What vitamins do you guys take on a daily basis? I know I need to take vitamins but not sure what's essential and what's not.

Personally, I don't take any supplements, whatever I get from my food and drink is the vitamins I intake.
  • ProTFitness
    ProTFitness Posts: 1,379 Member
    Options
    I take a Muli vitamin from GNC. It is there brand Muli for active women with iron. I love it and have been usuing it for a few years now.
  • ProTFitness
    Options
    if you are taking synthetic vitamins - purchased from GNC, Wal-Mart, Wal-Greens, CVS, Rite Aid, Grocery Store…………..Etc, etc……

We should be taking Raw Vitamins that mimic the food we eat. Fresh Veggies and Fruit, meats are not packed with the vitamins, minerals and other nutrients like they used to be. The ground that the crops are planted on are so depleted of vitamins and minerals that our food is seriously lacking.

Even more reason to buy organic from local and sustainable farmers in your local area and only eat what is in season.

I take Natural Creations and have noticed a major difference. I also take 5,000 IU per day of Vitamin D because I am deficient there and causes SAD and overall depression and no energy,

Yes you do still need to eat your fruits and veggies But I also believe that we may not be getting all of our needed vitamins from them so that is why is it good to supplement with a GOOD MULIT VITAMIN.
  • ProTFitness
    Options
    I take a Muli vitamin from GNC. It is there brand Muli for active women with iron. I love it and have been usuing it for a few years now.

Oh yeah I also take a SUPER B COMPLEX VITAMIN. Aslo for my joints I take a combo of glucosamin,chondrodion and msm.
  • gecho
    gecho Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    I take Women's One A Day Active Metabolism pills and Women's One A Day 2O drink.
    My Dr. recommended that I take Vitamin B-complex supplements for energy and I swear by them, they really help me keep full energy all day which is great because I work out harder and longer. I few of my friends take them also and have the same effect.

i take the same vitamin! I love the energy i get from them. usually i drag butt at work no matter if i'm busy or not but i really haven't been tired since i've been on this vitamin.
  • Grokette
    Grokette Posts: 3,330 Member
    Options

Yes you do still need to eat your fruits and veggies But I also believe that we may not be getting all of our needed vitamins from them so that is why is it good to supplement with a GOOD MULIT VITAMIN.

Not just any multi-vitamin. The vitamins you purchase at GNC ar esynthetic and pass right through you, doing your body no good.

Raw vitamins are the only vitamins that mimic the vitamins and minerals in the foods we eat.
  • fsuxo2003
    Options

Oh yeah I also take a SUPER B COMPLEX VITAMIN. Aslo for my joints I take a combo of glucosamin,chondrodion and msm.

Are the vitamins you take for your joints individual pills? I have a friend who swears by MSM for joint issues. I am at the point where if I don't do something I am going to end up having to get knee surgery - even though I stretch before and after working out and do knee exercises daily :(
  • andreasoulcastle
    andreasoulcastle Posts: 478 Member
    Options
    i take women's one a day active metabolism