How the hell do you do that? Just tell me for once!

Options
I had been good! All good......

Cardio 3-5 days/wk - check
weight training 2-3 days/wk- check
calorie count - check
calories from the right foods - check
food timings - check

and then... I just fell off the wagon :( and stopped everything - all at once :(((( Just to sabotage all my hard work!
Cant figure out why I snap???

Does that ever happen to you?? Can you tell if its coming?? How the hell do you prevent it??? JUST TELL ME FOR ONCE!

Replies

• ka_42
    ka_42 Posts: 720 Member
    Options
    Some people just have a tendency to binge.. I ask myself... "How hungry am I?" It helps.
  • briteyes
    briteyes Posts: 435 Member
    Options
    I do it, and I used to let it get me down, and I would just stay off the wagon...

But, I did it this weekend, and hopped back on the wagon Monday morning, and yesterday morning showed a 2 lb loss from last week's weigh-in...

When you fall of the wagon, don't beat yourself up, just hop back on it and don't worry about it!
  • michelletr
    michelletr Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    i don't know when it's coming and i honestly don't know if i can prevent it...although i do try,lol....but this week due to the stress of my step-daughter starting crap between me and her dad (my hubby) i fell off the wagon. i have not done any workouts and i have been back to eating junk food. i am hoping i have got it out of my system,lol. the thing is don't be too hard on yourself....we are human and we make mistakes...just pick your self up and get back on that wagon....good luck to you :)
  • smuehlbauer
    smuehlbauer Posts: 1,041 Member
    Options
    WIll power. Period.
    You have to realize that you are worth the hard work.
    Until you do, you're going to keep doing it.
    All in your head!
  • raindancer
    raindancer Posts: 993 Member
    Options
    I also self sabotage myself. I lost 93 lbs, then just stopped trying and gained 25 or so back. Now I'll lose 10-20 and just give up on myself...and gain it back. Just to start again and again. It is like I can't stand to suceed.
    I would love any advise in this area.
  • lilRicki
    lilRicki Posts: 4,555 Member
    Options
    it's like a train wreck...you know it's going to happen...you just have to brace yourself and prepare for damage control. I'm on the verge right now. I could run right out and grab a double wopper from Burger King...wolf down some fries...oh yeah that would be beautiful...but i can barely walk right now due to the power walking i did for an hour last night lol...you snap because you've radically changed your behavior...and behavior is a hard thing to change...you got reinforcement from eating the way you USE to (false sense of comfort, you believed it tasted fantastic, using food as a reward)...and now you feel like you're beating yourself up and all for what? results that don't come fast enough? sweat and pain? is that really reinforcing? the thing we don't remember is that the goal is larger later, not smaller sooner...you aren't going to drop 100lbs in a month so you can go back to stuffing your face with tempura and chocolate cake...it's forever! and that can get a little daunting no? you're allowed to trip up, it's normal...the difference between tripping and falling off the wagon, is getting back to your goals...have that chocolate bar, or eat those chips...you're going to feel disgusting afterwards, guar·an·teed...but going to the gym the next day, or doing your 30 day shred will put you back on the wagon...instead of saying "Screw it i blew it..." and pounding back another bag of chips. Good luck my friend...it happens to all of us, so you aren't alone... 
  • sarahenagy
    sarahenagy Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    My new mantra helps....nothing tastes as good as skinny feels...when I am feeling tempted I repeat this and go put my tightest pair of skinny jeans on and remind myself how awful I would feel if I couldn't fit in them after a splurge. That said, I also do not believe in totally depriving myself. I build in treats now and then (a doughnut at work on Friday morning, a buttery popcorn at the movies with my hubby next Saturday, dinner out with my girlfriends where I can get what I want next month). But because these things are planned I can watch calories the day of and plan an extra workout to compensate. Scheduled splurges that are compensated for don't make me feel guilty and keep me from splurging later at unexpected times.
  • lilRicki
    lilRicki Posts: 4,555 Member
    Options
    i don't know when it's coming and i honestly don't know if i can prevent it...although i do try,lol....but this week due to the stress of my step-daughter starting crap between me and her dad (my hubby) i fell off the wagon. i have not done any workouts and i have been back to eating junk food. i am hoping i have got it out of my system,lol. the thing is don't be too hard on yourself....we are human and we make mistakes...just pick your self up and get back on that wagon....good luck to you :)

You should read "Stepmonster: A New Look at Why Real Stepmothers Think, Feel, and Act the Way We Do"...i'm a step-mom too, and it's damn hard
  • ka_42
    ka_42 Posts: 720 Member
    Options
    WIll power. Period.
    You have to realize that you are worth the hard work.
    Until you do, you're going to keep doing it.
    All in your head!

Agreed! It pays off to say "no" :)
  • TXBlockhead
    TXBlockhead Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    I do it too and then it's really hard for me to get focused again. I will be smooth sailing and then crash....I never know when it's coming but I am actually in fear of it. I know my pattern and I'm trying to change it.
  • JoyceJoanne
    JoyceJoanne Posts: 760 Member
    Options
    Don't give up!! So you had a bad meal, log it and jump back in. Don't even call it a bad day, just the one meal.

I have found that when I let myself have a splurge day and eat the things I crave (I still log everything) , then the 'binges' aren't so bad. I also think that if you have a bad day once in a while, it kind of mixes things up and when it has happened to me- and I get back on it- it has actually been better for me, I lost more weight... just a thought.
    GOOD LUCK!!! :flowerforyou:
  • amelia_atlantic
    amelia_atlantic Posts: 926 Member
    Options
    It's mostly mental, seriously! Remember how great it feels when you're on top of your calories! Remember the endorphins after a workout! Remember fitting into those skinny jeans!

When you feel that binge/lazy feeling, go the grocery store and buy all healthy things and plan meals.
    Or clean out your closet. Or HIT THE GYM.

You are in charge of YOU!
  • KarenBorter
    KarenBorter Posts: 1,157 Member
    Options
    I had been good! All good......

Cardio 3-5 days/wk - check
    weight training 2-3 days/wk- check
    calorie count - check
    calories from the right foods - check
    food timings - check

and then... I just fell off the wagon :( and stopped everything - all at once :(((( Just to sabotage all my hard work!
    Cant figure out why I snap???

Does that ever happen to you?? Can you tell if its coming?? How the hell do you prevent it??? JUST TELL ME FOR ONCE!

I FEEL like doing that EVERY SINGLE DAY but you know what? I don't. I push through. You know why? CUZ I AM WORTH IT. I love that my pants aren't tight and that clothes I haven't been able to wear comfortably for over a year now fit better. Whenever I think I want to not do something, or get a cheeseburger, I run RUN to my closet and try on that top that I never took the tag off of because my back fat was so bad it looked HORRIBLE on. Now it looks good. THIS is why I stay on track.

Falling off the wagon one day isn't going to make or break your journey. I think getting into the mindset that this is NOT a diet but it IS MODERATION is key. You don't have to deprive yourself of anything, you just have to be smart about what it is you are not depriving yourself of and LOG EVERYTHING (the good, the bad and the ugly).

A personal trainer at the boxing gym I do cardio at yesterday noticed that I had lost the 15 since September 1. He remembers the day I started this site and he has known me for 3 years or more now. I told him that I had only lost 1/2 lb this week and he asked me if I had a cheat day recently. I told him no, that I had been really good. He told me to go ahead and take a day to KICK START MY METABOLISM. I am an annual pass holder at Disneyland so I am going there on Sunday and you bet your butt I am going to have a corn dog and a beer (haven't had any alcohol since the beginning of september).

I think people binge and fall "off the wagon" when they feel like they are being deprived of something. This is not deprivation, it's portion control :)

Thank you for the add request btw, be prepared to be motivated :) xoxo
  • potluck965
    potluck965 Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    My new mantra helps....nothing tastes as good as skinny feels...when I am feeling tempted I repeat this and go put my tightest pair of skinny jeans on and remind myself how awful I would feel if I couldn't fit in them after a splurge. That said, I also do not believe in totally depriving myself. I build in treats now and then (a doughnut at work on Friday morning, a buttery popcorn at the movies with my hubby next Saturday, dinner out with my girlfriends where I can get what I want next month). But because these things are planned I can watch calories the day of and plan an extra workout to compensate. Scheduled splurges that are compensated for don't make me feel guilty and keep me from splurging later at unexpected times.

Funny you mention mantra! I told my firend today that my new mantra was "when the muffin top is gone I'll eat muffins again". LOL

For some reason this time weight loss has just clicked with me. You have to really be serious about it. It hurts and it is easy to give in.

I really love MFP. It gives you some real life in your face info, no fooling around. It has become almost obsessive with me since I have had some success. My midway gifts to myself were a food scale, a new bathroom scale and a tape measure.
  • ErinMarie25
    ErinMarie25 Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    It's all mental and having willpower and motivation.

I used to do that years ago. Honestly having an amazing workout program, for me, has kept me eating right and not binge. I have before, I admit, but not a lot. But knowing I have a program and seeing results keeps me motivated.
  • potluck965
    potluck965 Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    I forgot to mention, an elderly friend of mine who has managed his serious diabetes all his very long life and has none of the bad side effects from the disease that many people develop and at 84 is in better shape than people half his age, said that he was told at an early age that it wasn't WILLPOWER as much as WON'T POWER.

I try to keep this in mind :)
  • LittleSpy
    LittleSpy Posts: 6,754 Member
    Options
    The way I do it involves there not being a wagon for me to fall off of. My lifestyle has changed. The whole concept of people doing something only temporarily (a "diet") to lose weight really irritates me.

My lifestyle still involves occasional unhealthy things but I never feel like I've "cheated" because there's nothing to cheat on. And I can't fall off of a wagon that doesn't exist. Just limit and plan for the unhealthy indulgences, do them, enjoy them, and move on. Or if it happened in a moment of weakness, damage control or don't, and then move on. It really is that easy.
  • saimabhaidani
    saimabhaidani Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    Its not falling off of the wagon that's the problem, the problem is not getting back on again forever!!!!!!

But,

With all of your support n motivation, I can do this, I can do this, I CAN DO THIS :devil:

Startin Now...
  • lvsnick
    lvsnick Posts: 22
    Options
    Alot of people on here set goals and rewards for themselves say for instance a 20lb loss and they get a manicure. Well for me thats not a reward and its too far away for me to stay motivated, so in lieu of a material reward such as spa, clothes etc I reward myself every Sunday! I dont "pig out" but if I want something I can have it. Pizzaburgers are my vice, pizza, soda, ice cream (not all in one day) pick something that you've been craving and indulge once a week as long as you dont go overboard your not going to gain any weight from just one day. And you tell yourself "come Monday its all business cause I want to enjoy my Sunday cheat day" and I feel good that I genuinely earned it !!
  • lulu_beans
    lulu_beans Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    I reward myself every Sunday! I dont "pig out" but if I want something I can have it. Pizzaburgers are my vice, pizza, soda, ice cream (not all in one day) pick something that you've been craving and indulge once a week

When I was doing the Herbalife thing, I weighed in with my group on Wednesday nights. If I lost that week, I would treat myself to something that evening, and then come Thursday, I was all business again. I think this is a great idea, just don't fall into the rut of every night being a "cheat night."