I hate healthy food.

Options

Replies

• Mlkmaid
    Mlkmaid Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    Raw with dip is the way to go for some veggies. There are veggies that I can't stand cooked but LOVE raw, like broccoli. Roasting carrots, Brussels sprouts, and cauliflower in the oven with a little olive oil and salt/pepper brings out their sweetness. Get a vegetarian cookbook. Vegetarians know how to make veggies taste great! Grilled veggies (if your husband barbecues) are good too. You can do them in a grill basket or stick them on skewers. I hated veggies when I was a kid and then as an adult realized it was because my mother had no clue how to cook and season them properly.
  • Fullsterkur_woman
    Fullsterkur_woman Posts: 2,712 Member
    Options
    Corn is not a vegetable, it's a grain ...
    It's a plant, and it's better than nothing as a bridge to real veggies.
    Love,
    The Spinach Assassin
  • LurveTheDoctor
    Options
    I am seriously picky too when it comes to vegetables and trust me, my parents FORCED me to eat every vegetable under the sun. There is not one item they forced on me as a child that I willingly eat as an adult.

Sadly, some of us just aren't designed for liking veggies. I also don't cook them. Aside from corn and green beans I haven't found ones that I can eat more than a mouthful of. I will eat more raw than I will cooked, so I just use what I like how I like even if it isn't the magical wonderful variety those "ideals" of healthy eating say are needed. I can force myself to eat some nasty tasting veggies tonight. They aren't going to taste better tomorrow, but I can't do that for 40 years.

As far as your kids, show them things you like. Try new things you find (sorry I am out of ideas because they don't taste acceptable to me). Maybe our husband/partner/their father could introduce them to ones he likes.

I have no magic answers, only the ability to commiserate.

I like raw carrots and cauliflower.. but hateeee them cooked. ugh. Maybe I should just load up on those two
  • LurveTheDoctor
    Options
    PS. Pizza. VERY healthy. And no I'm not talking about the cheap crap they sell for pizza in US. I mean if you can make some good dough (with wheat flour, not that cauliflower abomination I keep seeing on the forums), to pit off with some veggies, maybe some chicken and olive oil. It is delicious and very healthy. Plus... its pizza!
    I have a bread maker that has a pizza dough option
  • agdyl
    agdyl Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    I don't think anyone thinks that broccoli tastes as good as a chocolate cake. Fact is, food is just fuel so I eat better fuel for the most part. I don't have to like it.

And yes, force your kids to eat them and you should force yourself as well. That's what being a parent is all about...teaching them healthy living.

I'd kind of agree with this too. Yes, you're the parent and you can just tell them to eat veggies and not do it yourself, but I'd wager you'll have better long term success if you eat them too. Make it a group experiment to find new fruits and veggies and ways to prepare them that you like. You're not too old to learn to like new things and if you know they're good for you (enough that you want your kids to eat them), then take care of yourself too and learn to eat them too.

I have a friend who is a crazy picky eater but he's been making huge progress lately (in his 30's) and has started eating berries, beans, things like that. (Go figure, his mom is a picky eater too) He used to try convincing people that the ketchup he'd put on plain burgers was a vegetable. No. And corn isn't either. Find a way to eat some greens. Experiment with textures - one veggie will taste vastly different if it's raw or cooked a little or cooked a lot and pureed. They taste different when you grill them or add different oils or spices. Make soup out of them. There are a million ways to do it, but keep trying.
  • LurveTheDoctor
    Options
    Raw with dip is the way to go for some veggies. There are veggies that I can't stand cooked but LOVE raw, like broccoli. Roasting carrots, Brussels sprouts, and cauliflower in the oven with a little olive oil and salt/pepper brings out their sweetness. Get a vegetarian cookbook. Vegetarians know how to make veggies taste great! Grilled veggies (if your husband barbecues) are good too. You can do them in a grill basket or stick them on skewers. I hated veggies when I was a kid and then as an adult realized it was because my mother had no clue how to cook and season them properly.

We love to BBQ when we can
  • LurveTheDoctor
    Options
    I love soup. I can eat tons that way.. It's just I can't stand them othe rways. I will try some of these suggestions tho thank you.
  • agdyl
    agdyl Posts: 246 Member
    Options

I like raw carrots and cauliflower.. but hateeee them cooked. ugh. Maybe I should just load up on those two

That's a good start.

What about other veggies raw? Raw green beans? (I eat loads of those). Raw cabbage? I made a stir fry with ground beef and ginger and coconut aminos (like soy sauce) and put it on top of chopped up raw Napa cabbage and that's yummy. And you still get the raw crunchiness of the veggies but with added flavor from the stir fry part.
  • shapefitter
    shapefitter Posts: 900 Member
    Options
    I just eat them raw.
  • epiphany29
    epiphany29 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    Part of this is willpower.

You have to have a strong mind and will yourself to eat things that are healthy.

Would I eat Twix and drink Dr Pepper and have Pizza and Burgers every day if I could? HELL yeah cuz that stuff is delicious.

I eat chicken and broccoli every day for lunch because I have a goal.

I have a goal too. The chicken I at least like enough I could eat it every day. I would probably be vomiting as I swallowed the broccoli after 2 days. And I assure you I have tasted that stuff more than a few hundred times, it still makes me nauseated.

You have to work with what is sustainable. Yes, chocolate always will taste better. But this is for the long term so I will find and eat what I can manage to tolerate rather than forcing myself to eat that which makes me ill.
  • xmysterix
    xmysterix Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    I love veggies, so I can't help much with that BUT! I can tell you what I do for my daughter :) She loves fruit and a fair few veggies but not others due to slight bitterness or texture issues. She will, however, eat anything in smooth-soup form or as crunchy snacks from the oven. We have soup for dinner (with sandwich or something) at least once per week and she and I often have it for lunch just on its own. The crunchy oven-veggies are awesome for movie night snacks or afternoon munchies. So, in the past week we've had:

Crunchy oven-roasted chickpeas
    Kale chips
    Carrot oven "chips" (we call it "paperbark" snack because you slice with a veggie peeler in long strips...awesome for Fall/Halloween.)
    Cauliflower, "popcorn" style
    Curried roast veg soup (carrot, potato, tomato, cauliflower, broccoli, red pepper)
    Roasted Pumpkin soup (winter squash aka pumpkin, onion)
    Cauliflower & Parmesan soup (what it sounds like but not too heavy on the parm)
  • FrauHaas2013
    FrauHaas2013 Posts: 615 Member
    Options
    I'm pretty picky, too. I do love cucumbers, however so I use those all the time. Also spinach. I use it in salads or sautee it with garlic in a little olive oil and coarse black pepper. I cook asparagus the same way - drizzled with a little olive oil and sprinkled with coarse black pepper. I've cut romaine hearts in half lengthwise and grilled them, then added either chicken or pork slices on top, drizzle with a little salad dressing, and have that as opposed to salad style.

It could be that you just don't like the WAY you've had veggies in the past...this is what I'm finding out. Luckily for me, though, my husband's a chef so he tries out new things on me all the time!

You might try juicing if you really don't like a lot of veggies and fruits.
  • Cindyinpg
    Cindyinpg Posts: 3,902 Member
    Options
    Cheese and bacon are the answer here, as always. :drinker:
  • Skrib69
    Skrib69 Posts: 687 Member
    Options
    Several options I think.....

Roasted, with olive oil

Dice some chicken breast. Chop up potatoes, parsnips, courgette, onions, peppers, carrots and anything else. Put everything in a roasting bag. Add a generous amount of mixed herbs and a good glug of olive oil. Seal up the bag and roast in the oven until the meat is cooked. Carefully open the bag (the steam will easily scald you if you are not careful) and serve.

Gently steam.

Chop it up small and put it in something meaty like chilli. I got my kids to eat all manner of things like this, particularly onions and mushrooms.

Eat it or go hungry is an argument that you can use on the kids, but is a little harder to apply to yourself!! It does work though!!

Grow your own - there is nothing better and you don't have to be a genius in the garden!
  • Mongognom
    Mongognom Posts: 123
    Options
    I don't think anyone thinks that broccoli tastes as good as a chocolate cake. [...]

Broiled broccoli with a little oil and salt is better then chocolate cake on most days.
  • bunnybutler29
    Options
    Do you like cabbage? Get some turkey bacon and cook it then crumble it with some cabbage throw it all in a pan and cover. Cook on low heat. Do not add a ton of water maybe a teaspoon or so, but the cabbage will cook and steam itself. Honey carrots are yummy with some cayenne pepper. Broccoli is good with lemon on it. I didn't think it would be at first and after I tasted it I loved it. Another way is to just sneak it into whatever you are making. Shepherds pie is what I think some call it, but you can use ground turkey and add in all kinds of veggies. Throw in peppers in different foods ( eggs, chicken, burgers, spaghetti). Make alfredo and add in some mushrooms, broccoli and spinach. Cook the spinach and mushrooms in a pan first, then boil, steam or cook the broccoli to your liking and add it all together. My children love, love, love it. There are a ton of ways to enjoy veggies. You just gotta try them and find out what works for you.
  • links_slayer
    links_slayer Posts: 1,151 Member
    Options
    Deep fry them and dip em in ranch. Pretty sure a turd would taste good this way.
  • jackielou867
    jackielou867 Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    I don't know about you, but I found all my veggies taste so much better since I stopped eating processed foods. I did a compete detox a while ago and since then I have been practically living of veggies and salads. I hardly use any sauce or seasoning any more, and raw or cooked everything just tastes so much better than it used too. Usually on diets I get bored of salad after a week, but this year I can't get enough of the green stuff, or the red yellow orange........Only thing I add is my protein, dairy tofu or fish :-)
  • Carysta
    Carysta Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    I love soup. I can eat tons that way.. It's just I can't stand them othe rways. I will try some of these suggestions tho thank you.

I throw a bunch of veggies in when I make chili - yes, it's not 'traditional' chili then, but you can hide a lot of nicely diced veg in there, I can get in celery, corn, carrots, onions, and kale :) It picks up the sweet chili heat and is so nice and tasty!
  • Leeann1979
    Leeann1979 Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    I'm pretty much the same. I have always hated most veggies. My parents always made me eat every veggie on my plates, even if they made me gag, which I think turned me off veggies. I have tried many vegetables many times, and I do not like them. I do like some, such as carrots, cauliflower, and celery, but only raw. And I love cucumbers soaked in vinegar. Textures ruin it for me too!

I tried a fruit smoothie with spinach and I was really surprised at how you cannot taste the spinach at all. I also made a soup in my slow cooker recently and I chopped up veggies super small, and I could eat them that way.
    Like others have said, use a bit of dip, or season them. I don't have much advice to offer, but I do know how you feel!