HOW DID YOU DO IT??CARDIO OR WEIGHTS??????

Options
2»

Replies

• FrustratedYoYoer
    FrustratedYoYoer Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    I did cardio and weights to get back to a low weight. In Dec I started with couch to 5k so I did that 3 times per week and did weights once a week and then after a week or two of C25K when I was less sore and more used to that I did weights twice a week. I did the weights in the form of Body Pump classes and have done it religiously up until 3 weeks ago. I've started SL 5x5 (very loosely) and attending my weekly Body Pump class was too much so I dropped it because I reached the point where it wasn't safe or appropriate to use heavier weights anymore and I'm seeing more progress doing SL 5x5. I still run 3 times per week and do still do my weights twice per week. Sometimes three, but that's rare!
  • kimosabe1
    kimosabe1 Posts: 2,467 Member
    Options
    I did almost 20 & then added weights-:drinker:
  • retrobyte
    retrobyte Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    Done correctly, weights is cardio.
  • thesifter
    thesifter Posts: 107 Member
    Options

I have wondered about this too.
  • retrobyte
    Options

I have wondered about this too.

It's just a matter of training at a high enough intensity for the entire session, minimising rest time between sets, and/or supersetting - two sets joined together involving different muscle groups - in effect, the second half of the set becomes your "rest" period for the first set. This keeps your heart rate up throughout the workout. Circuit training uses the same principle.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    No, that's not cardio. Steady state cardio results in very specific physiological changes inside your muscles, changes that do no occur with "stop/start" weight training.

Could you design a weight-based exercise to mimic that? Sure thing. And it would look a lot like a mechanical treadmill.
  • retrobyte
    Options
    No, that's not cardio. Steady state cardio results in very specific physiological changes inside your muscles, changes that do no occur with "stop/start" weight training.

Could you design a weight-based exercise to mimic that? Sure thing. And it would look a lot like a mechanical treadmill.

Putting aside your scientific reply, which I can't really argue with, for me I've been able to lose body fat and increase cardiovascular efficiency from high intensity weight training coupled with hardly any "steady state cardio". It's been working well for me. YMMV.
  • hOw2lozeAgiN10dAze
    hOw2lozeAgiN10dAze Posts: 1,841 Member
    Options
    I'm a both-er.
  • cafeaulait7
    cafeaulait7 Posts: 2,459 Member
    Options
    Mainly weights. I do weights with no rests 4-5x a week, and I try for at least 15-20 minutes of cardio 6-7 days a week. I don't count walking, hiking with the dogs, etc. I do body weight work/yoga after the weights, so I definitely get my flexibility in there. I love that part :)

It's one more day of weight training than I did a few years ago with great success, but I just threw in glutes on another day because if I have too many rest days I slack off too often switching them around. I can't do as much cardio as I'd like because my tendons/joints complain about it, but I'm trying to get so much muscle supporting things that it's less and less of a problem.

Edit: I don't have to change my diet very much. I have to watch my protein intake to get it up, and I have to watch desserts. Mainly I just have to keep the muscle on/be active and it allows me the difference in calories that I tend to overeat when I'm not working out. For me, exercise is the biggest part of the equation.
  • thesifter
    thesifter Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    It is possible to train all three fuel systems in one workout, I think that is what Retro means.
  • cafeaulait7
    cafeaulait7 Posts: 2,459 Member
    Options
    It is possible to train all three fuel systems in one workout, I think that is what Retro means.

Oh. I do warm-up, weights, yoga and then a bit of cardio on weight days. Non-weight days I do any order I feel like, really.
  • BurningAway
    Options
    Both
  • collingmommy
    collingmommy Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    the first time around, I did all TAEBO!! lolthen I got pregnant, and thought that was a free for all on the food!! so here came the 54 lbs I lost! and it brought friends! anyway, at first the second time around I did taebo, cardio, walking then I decided to do jillian micheals dvds, mostly circuit training., the 26 inches I lost in one month pushd me to do all weights, so I did that . Right now (starting septmeber 30 2013, I started doing cardio around luch 2 times a week and heavy lifting 3 times a week at night. ) so I say a equal balance is best. and a darn good diet!
  • wilmnoca
    wilmnoca Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    HIIT cardio in the morning, heavy lifting in the afternoon. Repeat.
  • redladywitch
    redladywitch Posts: 799 Member
    Options
    I walk every day. On good days, I can walk at least two miles. I have a kettlebell and a medicine ball at home for when I'm feeling my best.
  • Tashia_HH
    Tashia_HH Posts: 99 Member
    Options

Yes, that's been my experience at times to. I do both and I do well with my weight loss. But my eating is what's important and has been the biggest hurdle that I have blasted through.