Drinking 1% milk in tea

Options
So I drink a lot of tea with a dash of milk and sweeteners rather than sugar throughout each day. Started thinking maybe this is not helping at all and I can't drink black tea. Should I cut it down to say 3 cups a day or cut it out completely? I am struggling to not drink it but if it will help me lose weight a lot quicker I am willing to force myself.

Replies

• deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    I use sugar and cream in my coffee. I just count it in my calories for the day.
  • chandanista
    chandanista Posts: 986 Member
    Options
    I'd say just measure the milk. I used to use creamers and I carried a measuring spoon, now I use a packet of sweetener in my coffee. If you measure the milk, you should be able to see how many of your calories it uses in a day. Remember, milk has protein, calcium, good stuff in it; if your dash of milk through the day is the thing hurting your weight loss (unlikely IMO unless you are drastically bad at eyeballing the portion) you might try cutting to skim milk instead.
  • Howdoyoufeeltoday
    Howdoyoufeeltoday Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    use almond or soy milk. tastes awesome, you can get it sweetened so no need to add your own sugar and it's usually less then 100 cals per cup. just measure it in before you start pouring.
  • laylaness
    laylaness Posts: 262 Member
    Options

yup
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    If you aren't currently counting those calories you may be surprised how much they're adding up each day. Just keep track of how much milk and sweetener you're using and figure it all into your calories for the day. I'm not sure of your situation in regards to location, available utensils, etc. but try to make it as easy on yourself as possible so you're not guessing quantities.

As an example, if you're in an office setting, take an 8 ounce container of milk with you to work each day and keep it in the office fridge. Add the milk to your diary for the day and when the milk runs out, you're done. Or figure out exactly how much milk you go through on an average day and bring in that much each day. Use packets of sweetener so you know exactly how much you're using.
  • ea101367
    ea101367 Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    I just log 1 cup of milk, drink my tea and all is :happy:
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    there is about 12 calories in a tablespoon of 1% milk why couldnt you have that and use a non nutritive sweetner?
  • aklove907
    aklove907 Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    I have my coffee and tea every day, just enter in the calories for the creamer into my calories for the day. Enjoy your tea, no need to cut it out! Your diet has to be something you can do long term! Good luck!
  • iquiltoo
    iquiltoo Posts: 246 Member
    Options

^^^ This. I just use coffee mate (I know... but I like it!) and I cannot have coffee without it, so I pre-measure the amount I need for a coffee, and put it in small containers and then I know exactly how much I am using each time. Might be harder to do with milk but maybe you can measure out and log a certain amount each day (half a cup, a full cup, whatever) and when you run out, you can't have any more tea!
  • bceltic
    bceltic Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    I have cut back on my tea, but I still drink on average 3 cups a day. I use Organic FF milk, I add it as a 1/4 cup at the end of the day. I also use organic sugar, and measure out a tablespoon vs heaping it in there.
  • RunBrew
    RunBrew Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    I drink tea pretty regularly as the weather gets cooler. Within the last few days I've run into the same question.
    I actually measured by weight. I made a cup of tea, and put it on a scale, tared it, then I added in milk until it was the color i wanted.

Turns out I use about 0.8 oz of milk per 8 oz cup of tea. I count it as 1 oz for good measure.
  • elliej
    elliej Posts: 466 Member
    Options
    I like 1% milk in tea... what's wrong with 1% milk in tea? I also have it in coffee, on cereal, in hot chocolate, in porridge, white sauce, mashed potato...
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    OP do you think that it's affecting your progress?
  • mummyjoynz
    mummyjoynz Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I always add 1 cup of milk into my food diary because like you I always have only a 'dash' in my tea!