Wheelchair to running coach. In 28 months. 100lbs lost.

Options
joyzy
joyzy Posts: 97 Member
I write this post on the eve of my first official day as a group exercise instructor at the YMCA. My new program starts tomorrow, a class for beginner runners called "Moving with Joy."

Hi, my name is Joy and I'm a 33 year old, 5'8" mom of three girls, ages 3, 5, and 7. Just over two years ago I weighed 270 pounds and was in a wheelchair, temporarily paralyzed from the waist down due to a herniated disc caused by a combination of genetics, and being significantly overweight.

IMG_5168.jpg

It took me one year of daily exercise (walking, then running) and using MFP religiously, to lose 100+ pounds.

photo-118.jpg

In the past 28 months not only have I lost 100+lbs, but I've added years to my life and discovered a true passion for running. Since I began running 21 months ago, I've run over 2300 miles. I've run 2 half marathon races and I'm currently approaching my first full marathon, the Philadelphia marathon in 5.5 weeks. My longest training run so far was 18 miles.

I am not fast. But my endurance is really coming along. My best half marathon race time was 2:19:02. If my teammates and I can finish the Philly full marathon in under 5 hours, I'll be a happy camper.

So now I look something like this:
photo-117.jpg

And tomorrow at work I'll be wearing this:
8CF5D6D4-0B13-481C-A38C-A864366B41FD-8577-000008AC15D00BA7_zps7a5cc27b.jpg

My class is for people truly at the beginning of their fitness journey. It's a 9 week program with the goal of being able to run or walk a 5k at the end of the session. I'm going to show them that with true dedication you can make BIG changes in your life.

I've also been volunteer coaching the boys' running club at the local elementary school, and wow, what a rewarding experience!

Thanks for reading. :-)

photo_zpsc46156d4.jpg

Joyzy

Replies

• _TastySnoBalls_
    _TastySnoBalls_ Posts: 1,298 Member
    Options
    Wow ! Congratulations on what you've done! You look amazing!
  • mandasalem
    mandasalem Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    Holy. Cow.

I would hug you and then start applauding if I ever met you. You are amazing and I'm BEYOND impressed and inspired.
  • ekahnicole
    ekahnicole Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    Incredible and inspirational, thank you for sharing your story :)
  • aprilwilliams2729
    aprilwilliams2729 Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    Wow - just wow! Thank you for sharing - you are an inspiration!
  • Anamdalta
    Options
    Wow! What an inspiring story - thank you for sharing it! So lovely that you're in a roll where you can share your journey with others on their way. :)
  • heather4949
    heather4949 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    So impressed.....your a legend in my books....
  • enidite
    enidite Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    wow thank you so much for sharing this. You are an inspiration
  • joakool
    joakool Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    Truly one of the most inspirational stories I have read of MFP. Congratulations to you on your hard work and dedication!
  • GinJon
    GinJon Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    Truly amazing!
  • Alisontheice
    Alisontheice Posts: 9,624 Member
    Options
    Wow what an inspiration. Congrats!
  • ItsJenney
    Options
    Very inspiring. Thank you for sharing!!!! :flowerforyou:
  • AllonsYtotheTardis
    AllonsYtotheTardis Posts: 16,947 Member
    Options
    Damn girl! Fantastic!

And look at what an example you are to your kids - they will grow up knowing just how much Mommy wanted to be able to run around with them!!!
  • 63hanson
    63hanson Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    Wow! You have an amazing story and what a great example you are for your kids!
  • divainsneakers
    divainsneakers Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    That's awesome!
  • vtmoon
    vtmoon Posts: 3,436 Member
    Options
    Way to take control and better your life, very amazing! Congratulations and good luck in Philly!
  • crossroad2012
    crossroad2012 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    What a great story! You look amazing! I wish they offered that class at my local Y.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    Holy crap! This is amazing!!!!! WTG!!!!!!!

Makes me want to work harder. NO EXCUSES! :D
  • imafitmom
    imafitmom Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    I am SO high fiving you!!!! You go!!!!
  • PowerEqualsStrengthOverTime
    Options
    This is absolutely incredible! What an AMAZING story! Thanks for sharing! :flowerforyou:
  • ecyor9
    ecyor9 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Your story is inspiring.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!