emotional eater

Options
megs302
megs302 Posts: 1 Member
I was wondering if anyone knew some tricks on how to keep from meaningless eating?

Replies

• taralc1
    taralc1 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    If I want to eat "just because" I either go for a walk to get away from food, or chew gum.
  • monica_reinert
    monica_reinert Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    Hello emotional eater...

I too am an emotional eater. Infact I can eat for no reason what so ever. I will not even by hungry and I'll find myself in the pantry! Anyway I think the thing that really helped me was to chew gum. It seems that if I have something in my mouth at all times, I steer away from snacking.

Hope this helps~
  • Erin959
    Erin959 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    I am one of these people that eat when they're bored (which is all the time at work at the moment) but at home, I'll do something to distract myself like going for a walk or tidying up (occasionally). If I still feel like eating something a little unhealthy after that then I'll have a smaller portion so I'm not depriving myself.
  • renatewolfe
    renatewolfe Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    Get plenty of sleep. When I worked night shift, I was always exhausted and could not control my emotional eating. Much easier to do when you have had enough zzz's.
  • MelissaPhippsFeagins
    MelissaPhippsFeagins Posts: 8,063 Member
    Options
    Walk instead. Just a walk around the building at work usually does it for me during the day. Or even down the stairs and back up to my office on the sixth floor. It's a good cure for stress and boredom.

In the evening I call my best friend. It keeps me from putting food in my mouth and I can tell her what is causing me to want to eat.

Until you get a handle on it, keep low Cal foods to snack on. I eat cucumbers, broccoli, and cherry tomatoes. Almonds are good but not too many at a time.

Hope this helps.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    I was wondering if anyone knew some tricks on how to keep from meaningless eating?

You betcha.

Learn what your triggers are for emotional/meaningless eating and confront them head on.

My weakness has been sweets during times of stress, especially at work. Before taking control of my health by logging my food and exercise and really paying to attention to what I was putting in my body, I went straight for the goodies at work (and, there are plenty) at ate to my heart's content.

Since then, I plan out my meals and take to work only what I am going to eat, or if I buy out I plan that as well.

When that moment of reaching for food out of emotion, I ask myself if I really want to feel like crap after eating all the sugar. The answer is usually no, and I move on.
  • lebaker310
    lebaker310 Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    Therapy. No joke.

I'm not saying go to a professional therapist, but talking about it helps...TO ANYONE. Finding others that can relate (which you already did!). Talk to yourself (it sounds crazy and kinda is), but ask yourself why you want to eat and if it's worth it. Reminding yourself over and over how SILLY and unnecessary it is to eat when you're not hungry. Remind yourself that you are stronger than a "craving" and you will be happier in the long run with out it.

When I'm being lazy on the couch at night and I get the sudden urge to devour all the ice cream in the freezer I make myself do 20 reps of squats, lunges, crunches, push ups, or 1 min plank. By the time I'm done with that I don't want to ruin the work I just did. By the end of the day I realize I did like 100 squats.
  • unFATuated
    unFATuated Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    I used to eat mindlessly when alone. So when my daughter napped, or I was awake late at night.

I found making sure I was eating enough protein was helpful because then I felt too full to contemplate more food. Also trying to avoid the situations where you eat mindlessly. So if that's sitting in front of the tv doing nothing, do something while you're watching tv. Find something to do with your hands, fold laundry, do a workout, knit, sew, anything!
  • verptwerp
    verptwerp Posts: 3,659 Member
    Options
    I've been there and done that for more years than I care to remember ........

When the munchies hit, I try doing something else first ....... I'll hop on the treadmill, read a book, get on the computer, catch up on paperwork, make a phone call, do laundry, clean a bathroom, brush the cat, take a bubble bath, or whatever keeps me occupied. But if all else fails (and it will) then my best "secret" is to have only healthy foods in my house, this way I can't do too much damage :tongue:

And I plan everything ......... my shopping list, what to cook & what to eat, what to bring to work for lunch, and what to eat at a restaurant ....... planning doesn't take long, and it helps me maintain a 40+ pound weight loss.

Set your priorities & don't let anyone or anything interfere !

Good luck :drinker:
  • jennygeorgia
    Options
    Hello,
    I am such an emotional eater and ruining my success at weight loss. As soon as I am alone or the family goes to bed...I am like
    a mouse in the cupboard and I eat whether I am hungry or not
  • IsaacHudson
    IsaacHudson Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Imo, don't feel bad about emotional eating and don't try to stop it specifically. Instead, be 100% religious about logging everything you eat, even if that means you are 1,000 calories over your goal.

It will very quickly prevent you snacking through boredom or emotions.
  • 1Kristine1
    1Kristine1 Posts: 697 Member
    Options
    I try to keep myself busy. It helps to not think about food all day. If I do want a treat, I will get on the treadmill for 30min if I need to.
  • what_lola_wants
    what_lola_wants Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    An emotional eater, I am and not proud of it... I try to do something better (which burns cal) like swimming with my friend or bf.. which I kinda enjoy it and it does not make me feel like ohh I am working out / getting tired or breathless. I take it as an hangout.
  • RedfootDaddy
    RedfootDaddy Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    I did a lot of eating while watching TV, and I found that once I got into needlecrafts that really melted away. Knitting, crochet, cross-stitch. Partly because you're busy doing something, and partly because in order to snack while knitting you have to wipe your hands clean after every bite and it's a pain in the butt.
  • Poofy_Goodness
    Poofy_Goodness Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    Take a walk.

Drink tea or water.

Call a friend.

Write.

Read.

Clean.

Keep your hands busy.
  • laurenellenmarie
    laurenellenmarie Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    Keep your mouth busy, chew gum or brush your teeth. I hate eating right after I've brushed my teeth. I too am just an eater. No reason, usually just that I want to. Keep yourself busy, clean, work out, get more sleep, just do something else.